4 posts in this topic

A New Year's tradition has left residents in the Interior Alaska community of Tanana off the grid.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports the traditional way to ring in the new year is to shoot off guns at midnight on Jan. 1 in the Alaska Native community about 150 miles west of Fairbanks.

But this year, one or more revelers with .410-gauge shotguns shot out one of the town's main fiber-optic cables. The cable was strung about 20 feet high.

That has left the roughly 250 residents without Internet service. Officials are waiting for a part to arrive before service can be restored.

It's not known if the shooting was intentional or an accident. Ralph Eller owns the local cable company. He says: "You can't fix stupid."

Troopers are investigating.

source

I thought it was a felony offense to fire guns into the air because ya know, the bullets have to come down somewhere.  I fired my rifle off for New Year, but even though we have more deer than we have people, I fired mine into the ground in the back yard just to be safe.

Villagers should have gone after the fool with pitchforks and torches. :p

ClickHandler.ashx?du=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ba

They better hurry with the repairs, or people are in danger of, you know, talking to one another :p

2 people like this