43 replies to this topic

#16 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:41

Hello,

test individual sticks to see where is the actual culprit.

(if) He bought it together, its problable they are all from the same bad batch.

Also that card is rated at 64W for the Thermal Requirements; minimum PSU is 400W, so a 550 is more than enough for it (http://www.geforce.c...pecifications); riahc3 i think you got confused...

I dont know; Seems like small leg room in case he goes SLI or something. Nevertheless, thank you for correcting me and I apoligize for the error.

#17 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:46

Like what everyone said, I don't think 550W can run that card and your other hardware. Go for 750W maybe?

#18 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:54

Hello,

Like what everyone said, I don't think 550W can run that card and your other hardware. Go for 750W maybe?

Yes, by my comment I was not only referring to the card, I was referring to the card and other hardware he had.

#19 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:09

Hello,
(if) He bought it together, its problable they are all from the same bad batch.

I dont know; Seems like small leg room in case he goes SLI or something. Nevertheless, thank you for correcting me and I apoligize for the error.

I've seen new OEM builds with individual defective RAM (cough *HP* cough) so it's possible.

About the PSU: just by seeing his components IF the PSU is a good and reliable one that really delivers 550W (must see the 12v rail connector) then it got enough juice to power the whole system and still have some left; remember that this card only requires 64W maximum. Also his board can't do SLI :)

If the PSU couldn't deliver enough power then it wouldn't be just the games that would crash, wouldn't it? ;)

#20 ShellBox

ShellBox

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC Wildfire

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:18

Have you tried updating your drivers for your new graphics card? It could also be time to upgrade your RAM.

#21 +mkol

mkol

mkol

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32gb

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:26

It's your drivers, try updating the drivers, If you cannot get any where with the new release drivers try beta drivers from the Nvidia website.

#22 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:30

It's your drivers, try updating the drivers, If you cannot get any where with the new release drivers try beta drivers from the Nvidia website.

did you guys saw the whole thread? he tested the mems and got errors.

#23 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:38

A decent 550w psu is definitely enough for you system. 100% sure on this. 

What kind of powersupply? 550w doesn't mean jack if it's a budget psu. 

Sounds like a mem thing. 

#24 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:40

Hello,

If the PSU couldn't deliver enough power then it wouldn't be just the games that would crash, wouldn't it? ;)

Um, what?

#25 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:48

Hello,
Um, what?

His games are the only ones crashing; if a PSU can't power a whole system (because it's asking more then it can deliver) then it won't be just those same games that were crashing but the whole system. A PSU or even Windows won't kill a process because of lack of power.

#26 ka-la

ka-la

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:59

Try switching the memory modules. And if you still get memtest errors, try them by one stick... it sure seems that is where your probleem is at.

#27 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 15 January 2014 - 13:59

Hello,

His games are the only ones crashing; if a PSU can't power a whole system (because it's asking more then it can deliver) then it won't be just those same games that were crashing but the whole system. A PSU or even Windows won't kill a process because of lack of power.

His games arent the only thing crashing. Watch him load a 4GB BMP in Photoshop (or something else RAM instensive) and it will crash too. I am supposing that indeed it is a memory issue...

#28 BrainDedd

BrainDedd

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:20

OK, so it surely is the RAM. Try each stick individually and memtest. If one gives errors then RMA it.

If you only get errors with both sticks installed then look to back off the timings a bit. I had to go from 9-9-9-24 to 9-10-9-24 to get mine stable.

#29 DoctorD

DoctorD

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:41

The other question I have along with a possible ram issue is which Nvidia driver is currently installed, there has been a slew of bad drivers recently that have caused similar issues I have had across my desk. The last stable driver for a lot of cards was 314.22, after that a bunch of drivers bricked many systems due to timing issues and heat issues that happened out of nowhere (caused by crappy drivers). 

#30 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:51

Interesting thing is, all these errors occurred on 4162MB or higher; But I've only got a 4040MB of RAM.

Any ideas, or should I just get some new RAM?

It's outside of range because it is showing the virtual memory address and not the physical memory address of the failures.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!