HELP!!! Can't delete folders from mounted ntfs drive!

Earlier, I reinstalled Windows XP and decided to mount a couple of partitions through the C: drive. After doing so I cannot delete any folders from within these mounted directories in the C: drive, though I can if I go to the specific drive in windows explorer. I can delete files, but folders give an access denied error. I think I have tried all the permissions stuff and the problem exists even when logged in as admin. Ultimately, I would like to be able to have all my partitions mounted through the c: drive, but not if I can't delete folders in them. Anyone have any ideas... PLEASE. Thanks in advance.:(

Ick.. i feel for ya. Something similar happened to me when i reinstalled XP over the top of an NTFS partition. I lost access to the My Documents folder and 5 GB of data inside it. The folder was completely inaccessible. I never did find a solution.. :ermm:

Doh, you probably aren't gonna get access to your schtuffs unless you find a way to crack the encryption. NTFS encrypts files into the filesystem, and when you do a re-installation of a WindowsNT OS your PID# is different than the # that was used to originally encrypt the file(s)/folder(s). I learned the hard way that you must decrypt your files and folders before you ever re-install your NT OS.

If you don't find a way of cracking the encryption(which I doubt you will) you will have to format your drive to get rid of the stuff(otherwise it will just sit there and waste hard drive space...hopefully you have your important stuff backed up on a CD).

Fortunately, my situation isn't as dire as all that. The problem is that I can't delete folders from the mounted drive if I do it through the folder I mounted it to. If I go to the drive letter itself, then I have the ability to delete anything I want. All my information is still accessible, I would just like to be able to mount the drives to folders and then delete the drive letter. If I did that I wouldn't be able to delete folders. Any ideas about this? Is it some sort of permisions thing?

To get at your documents on Windows XP after moving the hard drive, or installing a 2nd HD and booting from it:

1. Open My Computer (logged in as an Admin)

2. Go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab

3. Uncheck "Use simple file sharing"

4. Click OK

5. Right click the folder that contains your files

6. Go to the security tab

7. Click Advanced

8. Go to the Owner tab

9. Click Administrators and check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

10. Click OK twice, and your set.

What this does is changes the owner of the files to the administrator on the new XP install. This needs to be done because each user name is given a Security ID number that is different with each install of XP. Since the file's security settings did not list the new administrator's ID number as having access to the file, you got an "Access Denied" message. But as an Administrator you have the privilage to give yourself access, as long as the file was not encrypted. Hope that explains well enough