• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:05

I've talked to him about the 6 core options.  I think Haswell will be better suited for what he does but the option is still on the table.  If he didn't game, I'd go with the 6 core 2011 socket.  Unless the 6 core IB is better than Haswell for gaming...

I don't think Ivybridge or haswell will make a difference in practice. Most games just aren't CPU bound on sufficiently decent processors. There are a few games (like MS flight simulator) that are CPU bound though.

#17 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1 9860

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:13

If CAD and gaming are your main focus then I will suggest this:

RAM. Get as much as you can afford. I have 16GB in my machine, but as a 3D artist, I can always use more. 
SSD's - In truth, you don't really need SSD for working with CAD. Just use a 250GB one for windows and ure apps and use a 3GB Black for storage.
Processor - This only becomes useful when rendering, so a 6core processor running 12 threads will be awesome here. 

My PC is just a 3570K watercooled 16GB P.O.S. - but for Maya and other intensive 3D packages, it does the job and does it quickly. 

#18 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 January 2014 - 00:38

My PC is just a 3570K watercooled 16GB P.O.S. (...)

Funny, most of the people i know would like to have that "P.O.S", as you name it. :laugh:

Anyways, the advantages of using an enterprise grade CPU is the stability, not the performance; sure Haswell can be quite good, but a Xeon with a good board, ECC RAM and hardware RAID would kill any desktop configuration. And the fact that one can use more than one CPU in the same board..MURR CORES derp derp

#19 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:54

might have been noted already, but i'd shoot for one of the closed-loop coolers. theyre pretty awesome for the price.

also, i dont care for Asrock, but that's just me.