Photo

Router Pro/Con

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 January 2014 - 22:30

Is this list of routers and their pro/cons good? Am I missing something big? I am looking for top of the lineish routers with gigabit routing 

Asus RT-N66U

$120

·   Low Price point

·   Well tested and reviewed     

·   Fast

·   Popular N router

·   Wireless N only technology

·   No AC means lower simultaneous throughput over 5GHz

AC1200

Asus RT-AC56U

$130

·   Small

·   Low Price point

·   USB 3

·   High simultaneous throughput

·   Best AC1200

·   Lots of Features

·   Possible IPv6 issues

·   Possible 2.4 connectivity issues.

AC1600

Netgear R6250

$150

·   Small

·   High 5.0 benchmarks

·   Second highest simultaneous throughput

·   USB 3

·   Low 2.4 benchmarks

·   Possible Firmware speed issues

·  

AC1750

Apple Airport Extreme

$185

·   Quality Hardware

·   Apple Brand

·   Apple cross product support

·   Doesn’t fit in smartbox

·   Benchmarks aren’t good

·   People hate Apple

AC1750

Asus RT-AC66U

$180

·   Quality Hardware

·   High benchmarks all around

·   Lots of Features

·   Doesn’t fit in smartbox

·   3 Antennas

·   IPv6 issues

·   No USB 3

·   High Price for Value

AC1900

Netgear  R7000

$200

·   USB 3

·   Fastest on market

·   Longest Range on market

·   Dual Core processor Chip

·   Very big

·   Expensive

·   3 Antennas

#2 Ulpian

Ulpian

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2014 - 22:36

NETGEAR has backdoor. Maybe ASUS too. If you don't want backdoor, buy router that is DD-WRT/Tomato capable.

#3 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 13 January 2014 - 23:00

NETGEAR has backdoor. Maybe ASUS too. If you don't want backdoor, buy router that is DD-WRT/Tomato capable.

Well my Netgear router has a locked front door.

#4 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:30

Asus routers are built on dd-wrt firmware.  I know that the rt-n66u can use dd-wrt as I run it on mine.  I know of no back doors on the asus routers.  That being said, look at the new rt-ac68 router.  It is outstanding but very pricey.

#5 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:09

Asus routers are built on dd-wrt firmware.  I know that the rt-n66u can use dd-wrt as I run it on mine.  I know of no back doors on the asus routers.  That being said, look at the new rt-ac68 router.  It is outstanding but very pricey.

Isn't the stock Merlin firmware for Asus routers opensource anyway?

#6 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2014 - 14:37

Isn't the stock Merlin firmware for Asus routers opensource anyway?

yep yep

#7 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 14:45

Can't tell if you think 3 antennas is pro or con?

#8 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 14 January 2014 - 14:56

Hello,

:rolleyes:

Anyways, you have almost answered yourself. Both are good brands in the home router section. Just be sure to get one that can run DD-WRT.

I know its good to future proof, but right now do you have 802.11ac devices?
Do you plan to use your router as a NAS in a sense of plugging in a HDD drive to share with all? You will surely want to get USB 3 (and a USB 3 HDD)
By the time IPv6 is a requirement and IPv4 becomes optional, you problably wont be using this as your main home router in your house (which is sad that it isnt going as fast as it is suppose to)

#9 OP capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 January 2014 - 19:56

Can't tell if you think 3 antennas is pro or con?

Lol I can't figure it out either... sometimes I like it, sometimes it makes the router too big to use. I just noted it and let the user decide. 

#10 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 21:22

Too big to use? You do understand the number of antennas would also be how many streams it can handle and overall bandwidth the thing is capable of wireless ;)

Its possible they are all hidden antenna's inside a pretty little box. But if there is only 1 antenna that router is clearly not going to do more than 1 stream.. I would think if looking for the badass of badass routers you would want 4.. Where you got 4x4 spatial streams..

I believe the RT-AC87U is new 4x4 AC router.. Releasing this month I thought..
http://pcdiy.asus.co...-mimo-ces-2014/

#11 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 January 2014 - 21:32

As far as I know Asus Routers are NOT built on DD-WRT firmware. While you may be able to run DD-WRT firmware on the router (I am not sure if you are or not) they are not built on it. And the best firmware for them is Merlins which can be found here - http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/

#12 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:16

Hello,

Why is a router being too big a bad thing?

#13 OP capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 January 2014 - 16:21

Hello,

Why is a router being too big a bad thing?

Have you picked up the Night Hawk? I will post a picture of it next to an Asus, it takes so much more desktop space. 

Additionally, there are these "smartboxes" where all the cabling for an apartment come together (I have ethernet ports throughout my place). If you put your router in that "box" (covered hole in the wall) you get to fire up every single port in your apartment. This is sometimes desired so not being able to do it is a con. 

Too big to use? You do understand the number of antennas would also be how many streams it can handle and overall bandwidth the thing is capable of wireless ;)

Its possible they are all hidden antenna's inside a pretty little box. But if there is only 1 antenna that router is clearly not going to do more than 1 stream.. I would think if looking for the badass of badass routers you would want 4.. Where you got 4x4 spatial streams..

I believe the RT-AC87U is new 4x4 AC router.. Releasing this month I thought..
http://pcdiy.asus.co...-mimo-ces-2014/

yeah I get the antenna thing, but if it can't fit in one of the boxes mentioned above, then it's a con regardless of how "necessary" it is. 

That new Asus is sweet! 

#14 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 15 January 2014 - 16:27

Have you picked up the Night Hawk? I will post a picture of it next to an Asus, it takes so much more desktop space. 

Why leave it on the desk? It's Ethernet enabled for a reason (moving it far away from you for peace of mind)  :laugh:

P.S. my Dark Knight is in a pile of electronics on a little rolling stand that came with my desk, it'd be on the floor behind my desk otherwise

#15 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 15 January 2014 - 17:09

Hello,

NetgearR7000_(6)_620x433.jpg

You really consider that big? Wow...

Besides that, why would you have this on your desktop? I mean signal quality cant be that bad on these, right?

Additionally, there are these "smartboxes" where all the cabling for an apartment come together (I have ethernet ports throughout my place). If you put your router in that "box" (covered hole in the wall) you get to fire up every single port in your apartment. This is sometimes desired so not being able to do it is a con.

"Smartboxes"? You mean a switch that simply connects to different female RJ-45 jacks in your place? That was easier to say...

I dont get it; You complain about the Nighthawk but the Asus, bigger, is sweet? Im lost.