Let's See How Definitive The Next-Gen Tomb Raider Really Is

Let's See How Definitive The Next-GenTomb Raider Really Is

ku-xlarge.jpg

At the end of the month, Xbox One and PS4 owners will get to play Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, a graphically enhanced version of last year's excellent Tomb Raider reboot. But how definitive will the next-gen version really be?

IGN's posted a new video with a side-by-side comparison between the PS4 and PS3 versions of the game:

The difference is actually pretty substantial, with loads of new particle effects and high-res textures making the game look significantly better on PS4. I played the original game on PC, and while I'm guessing that version won't be all that different from next-gen, I'm still seeing some differences here even compared to the PC version.

In particular, I'm surprised by how totally different Lara's face looks on PS4. She's like a different person!

ku-xlarge.gif

Source: Kotaku

That looks nice.

This is the kind of effort I expect in an 'HD' port.

I never bought this before, but I think I'll be picking this one up.

It's definitely worth it.  The gameplay is great and the really nice updated graphics don't hurt!

• Like 2

I play Tomb Raider on my PC with maxed out settings; there is a big difference even between PC and the regular PS4 game. The Definitive Edition looks phenomenal!  :o

• Like 2

The clear difference is the redesigned face and probably some lighting. Other than that PC should still be better, but it's kind of hard to tell until it's out and someone does a proper comparison (none of that youtube compression). Hair is still weird..

PS3 version was a great game, but the PS4 version looks phemonimal! 
I bagged it out earlier as I already brought the game for the PS3, but considering the work done on updating pretty much the whole game, I might just pick this up :)

Oh hell. There was me eyeing up the discount for this on the store, and now there's going to be a PS4 updated version?

Sorry Lara, you and me are going to have to wait a bit longer before we see one another again. :(

1080p 60fps too i hope, looks pretty nice!

Not sure if its 60fps, nothing has been confirmed 

1080p has been confirmed, but Square Enix hasn't given fps yet. 

i am not sure why this is the case but any time i see one of these comparisons the "older crappier version" they are using for comparison always has the colour washed out and looks much worse in the comparison than it does when you are actually playing it. Almost as if they had messed with the video settings to purposefully make it look worse. Don't get me wrong the PS4 version is clearly better just from a poly count but still.

• Like 2

I think it's a matter of not having anything to compare it with.  I remember being blown away by graphics pretty much each generation since the Atari.  Then you look back and say "Really?"

Hell, I remember this guy from the Intellivision:

3.gif

All Atari had at the time was a square.

Yeah, but in the comparison shots you can see down her top better on the PS3 version.

That's because the ps3 version is brighter.

Yeah, but in the comparison shots you can see down her top better on the PS3 version.

Wait till you see the HD remake for the X(rated)Box One!