which iphone?

i'm currently using Nexus5, and thinking of going back to iphone because of the eco system

i'm currently under byo plan without a contract, so this makes me wonder more.

i am either thinking of moving to iphone 5 or iphone 6. 

reading recent articles of iphone 6 inspires me (but waiting for another 8-10 months sucks). 

although nothings official, i'm sure there will be a bigger screen (one of the reasons i want to go back is because i actually want one handed side, and the size is a perfect fit with iphone 5) with more intuitive features with fingerprint and sensing functionalities

but this means that it is apple's first trial by challenging with new technology and functionality that in one way, i feel that iphone 6 could partially be a test stage while iphone 6s will be a complete of what apple was looking for. 

same thing for 5s - the idea of fingerprint and 64bit are the work done for the first time, and i'm sure the improvement and the trial and error will be fixed/improved when iphone 6 gets released

the reason why all this bothers me is because if i go and sign a contract with 5 for 2 years, i will have to miss out 6 (the price diff. btw 5 and 5s is not much though).  i wanted to buy 5 outright, but it is expensive. i'm not interested in 5c.

i was trying to buy a used iphone5, but i'm having a hard time as the offers and conditions have not gone smoothly

what would you if you were in my situation?

and do you personally go with iphone 4/5/6 series or the s series? and why?

thanks

I'm just curious about the ecosystem you're in. Because I switched from the iPhone to the Nexus 5.

I was worried about the ecosystem as well. I have an iPad Mini and iMac and wanted everything to sync together. Turns out, Dropbox is awesome for that (ie: replaces Photostream). As for texting, I got over it once I seen that Hangouts merges group texting together (for some reason I thought I'd be getting a text from everyone in a group separately).

That pretty much sums up the ecosystem, doesn't it?

What eco-system? The Fort Knox of rules and restrictions that you have to put up with? The forcing of iTunes connectivity for everything? Some of the restrictions can be bypassed after jailbreaking and installing various tweaks, but it is a real PITA honestly.

In many cases Android apps are just as good (if not better) than their iPhone counterparts. When it comes to the iPad yes, one could argue that there aren't that many tablet optimised apps for Android. But that scenario is fast changing.

I would suggest just continuing with your Nexus.

PS: I'm not simply bashing Apple over here just for the sake of it. I've been using an iPad 3rd Generation nearly since launch.

Id save and go with the iPhone 6. Its only 5 months away, or 9 months. 
Actually that is ages away, may as well just get a 5s

I'd just get a 5S personally. The 5C is a bad deal whichever way you look at it, and that Apple even still sells the 4S (let alone at a price that would get you a Nexus 5) blows my mind. Plus the 5S will keep its value pretty well - so maybe buy that, then sell it right when the iPhone 6 comes out and move onto an iPhone 6? 

There are too many rumours and not enough facts about the iPhone 6, if I were to consider getting an iPhone. The only two rumours that would have me interested would be the inclusion of NFC, and wireless charging.

Like the others I'm not sure what you mean about the ecosystem, but if I were going to go for an iPhone then I would probably just go for the 5S.

• Like 1

I guess I was not clear enough when I meant "ecosystem" - i was just trying to say that I'm more used to the ios environment

so u guys are suggesting 2 yrs contract w 5s?

so u guys are suggesting 2 yrs contract w 5s?

If you insist on going back to iPhone, yes. There just isn't enough information to make waiting on the iPhone 6 worth it at the moment. Not to mention you could put $20 (or whatever currency you use) aside each week and find that by the time the 6 comes out you may have most of the money to upgrade.

what would you if you were in my situation?

and do you personally go with iphone 4/5/6 series or the s series? and why?

thanks

A collegue of mine has recently purchased his second iPhone4S (new). His reasons:

• the last phone released by Jobs;
  • the only iPhone on the market with iOS5 still on it;
  • and backpanel design difference in favour of iPhone 4S.

I'd suggest waiting because if you start on an 'S' you will always be renewing your phone contract on an 'S' phone. (Every two years)

The 5S brought in the fingerprint scan but apart from that it was just spec improvements like all other 'S' iPhones.

New iPhone and 'S' iPhone's always look the same except you can have one a year earlier, you get the new features of a iPhone upgrade a year earlier ('S' usually just improves phone specs).

Also reports suggest a new iPhone 'Air' will be coming out in May (So not too far away)

http://www.theweek.co.uk/technology/new-iphone/54965/iphone-6-super-slim-iphone-air-due-may

Followed by the successor of the iPhone 5S, which will be released in iPhone's usual calendar window in September.

If you wanted to donate your Nexus 5 to a Nexus 4 owner who loves his phone but wouldnt pass on a free upgrade I'm sure I would be willing to take it off your hands :p

I'm guessing by your comments you used to own an iphone at one point, whilst I have never owned and used one myself, my GF does and I have to say the new iOS version actually changes some of its features to be, in my opinion, a lot more like android. The safari browser seems to handle tabs like chrome, the closing of app's is very android and I'm sure there are a few more that I saw when she upgraded her 4s. Please don't kill me for my opinion die hard apple fans, I just really seem to remember her upgrading and her doing a few things and mentioning they were different and me laughing saying thats just how it works on android.

By all means that could be viewed as good thing, just mentioning it :)

I'd suggest waiting because if you start on an 'S' you will always be renewing your phone contract on an 'S' phone. (Every two years)

The 5S brought in the fingerprint scan but apart from that it was just spec improvements like all other 'S' iPhones.

New iPhone and 'S' iPhone's always look the same except you can have one a year earlier, you get the new features of a iPhone upgrade a year earlier ('S' usually just improves phone specs).

Is it just me, of does that not make sense? You're suggesting he waits for the 6 because otherwise he will always be on an xS device, which you then go to say has spec improvements over the iPhoneX...by your reasoning it would therefore make more sense to go for the 5S so that in future he will have the 6S, 7S etc. rather than just the iPhone 6, 7, etc.

Is it just me, of does that not make sense? You're suggesting he waits for the 6 because otherwise he will always be on an xS device, which you then go to say has spec improvements over the iPhoneX...by your reasoning it would therefore make more sense to go for the 5S so that in future he will have the 6S, 7S etc. rather than just the iPhone 6, 7, etc.

I prefer new phone, new features and spec improvements (3-4, 4-5, 5-6) over just spec improvements (3G-3GS, 4-4S, 5-5S) on basically the same phone.

Hopefully that is more understandable for you.

In all 'S' upgrades its always the processor, graphics and cameras that are slightly upgraded. Its an iPhone, I've never seen a 'S' version be able to use an app or play a game that the previous couldn't, nor have I seen any improvement in UI function (IOS seems to always run smooth). Slight camera upgrade isn't important to me so that doesnt really sway me towards 'S' models either.

I prefer new phone, new features and spec improvements (3-4, 4-5, 5-6) over just spec improvements (3G-3GS, 4-4S, 5-5S) on basically the same phone.

But going from the 5S to the 6S would offer a new phone, new features and spec improvements...that's my point.

But going from the 5S to the 6S would offer a new phone, new features and spec improvements...that's my point.

Yes, but a year after the new phone and new features were already released in the iPhone'X' model. 'S' is just a performance boost, a performance boost which you really don't see a benefit of on IOS. (Also unless an upgrade of 8 MP photos with 1.4? pixels to 8 MP photos with 1.5? pixels (5-5S back camera) seems like a huge spec boost to some than I'm guessing the camera improvements aren't very noticeable either)

If it were an Android phone the spec improvements play a more important role because if its not high enough, your screen jitters/lags on transition, you notice app slow-downs, you are unable to install some apps if you don't meet requirements (screen size, software version, hardware specs, etc) and other games/apps that you can download but were designed for better specs don't run very well. You don't get these issues between iPhone'X' and 'S' models, so the minor spec improvements doesn't justify waiting a extra year for a new phone, new features and already improved specs in my opinion for the iPhone range.

Yes, but a year after the new phone and new features were already released in the iPhone'X' model. 'S' is just a performance boost, a performance boost which you really don't see a benefit of on IOS. (Also unless an upgrade of 8 MP photos with 1.4? pixels to 8 MP photos with 1.5? pixels (5-5S back camera) seems like a huge spec boost to some than I'm guessing the camera improvements aren't very noticeable either)

Ah, ok! So it's about getting the new features the moment they are available. Ok, that makes a bit more sense. However, in my opinion we don't know enough about what the iPhone 6 is going to have feature-wise in order to justify waiting. But then again, I'm not the one looking in to getting an iPhone so that's something for nochlux to decide.