usa fast food restaurant young diners new ovens concept

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,899 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:30

What would a Shepard's pie or cottage pie be classed as?

A fair point, they have no pastry topping or base so don't meet my definition. However, they ARE a filling and topping combination, which a pizza still is not.

I'm still not gonna give on pizza's being pies. That's just an Americanism, and we all know we can't trust you guys on pies. You make sweet pumpkin pies and those things are VILE!

#32 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:32

A fair point, they have no pastry topping or base so don't meet my definition. However, they ARE a filling and topping combination, which a pizza still is not.

I'm still not gonna give on pizza's being pies. That's just an Americanism, and we all know we can't trust you guys on pies. You make sweet pumpkin pies and those things are VILE!

"You guys". I'm so British I ###### the Queen. Apart from the relentless Country music I listen to, cowboy boots and hat I own and legions of American friends I surround myself with. Promise!

#33 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,456 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:32

so are they trying to compete with Sborro now?

ZOMG!!!!! When I was young that was my birthday food. You could fold it in half and squeeze it and the grease would flow out!!!! It was AMAZING!!!!! Oh the memories!

#34 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,866 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:36

why? I can walk into mine and buy a buffett for $6 and get all I can eat of any type of pizza, pasta, chicken (ours is also a KFC) and drinks...

and with a large pizza only costing $10, why would you pay that much per slice?!

ZOMG!!!!! When I was young that was my birthday food. You could fold it in half and squeeze it and the grease would flow out!!!! It was AMAZING!!!!! Oh the memories!

Papa Johns is the GRESIEST pizza I've ever had, their pepperoni pizza has so much grease on it, you pick a slice up you are covered in drippings... and to make it worse they give you garlic butter to drench that grease covered pizza in..

#35 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 670 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:48

Whether sweet or savory, pies generally have a top on them, and even when not, have some form of pastry crust.  Pizza's are technically a savory topping on top of a leaven bread base, not pastry, so are not a pie.

Languages change.

#36 gameboy1977

gameboy1977

Neowinian

• 960 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:50

that is cool. I will go to pizza hut in the future.

#37 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 645 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 19:06

Pizza by the slice is a gamble at best. A customer has no idea if it's been sitting there for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. Pizza that's been under a heat lamp for 30 minutes is dry and awful. I've never had pizza by the slice that was worth buying a second time (but then I live in Colorado and have never been able to find great pizza here :cry: ).

I understand that pizza restaurants want to get in on the lunch market by selling "ready" pizza; when people only get a 30-minute break for lunch, most can't wait 10 minutes for a pizza to be made and cooked. 

#38 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,281 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 19:18

Is it Sbarro? Because searching "Sborro" got me seeing parties of the lemon kind.

#39 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,348 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 14 January 2014 - 19:36

Papa Johns is the GRESIEST pizza I've ever had, their pepperoni pizza has so much grease on it, you pick a slice up you are covered in drippings... and to make it worse they give you garlic butter to drench that grease covered pizza in..

Being a Canuck we don't have many Papa Johns up here (I found 3 that are located in faraway suburbs), but when we had a piece down in the States... goddamn it was good. With the garlic butter. So unhealthy but still good :whistle:

That said, Pizza Hut is gross. The other chains up here are far better (Pizza Pizza, Pizza Nova, Domino's - preference in that order) - plus this small shop near the university which makes crustless pizzas on the spot. Bloody amazing pizzas.

#40 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,899 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 20:34

^ If you want decent pizza, don't go to the chains.  Either go to a "mom & pop" store, or make your own.

#41 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,456 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 20:39

Pizza Hut is gross anyway. Too greasy. I'd never pay $2-3 for a slice of their pizza.

Their quality went to ###### when they went to frozen dough and vacuum packed toppings.  It used to be fresh vegetables and mixed dough.

This was back when I was just out of high school when they switched (1995), so some might not remember how it used to be.

#42 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,889 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:21

I don't think of pizza as a pie, either.

But I guess it fits this definition:

pie

a total or whole that can be divided

And you can read thru this song, that goes back, some 70 years:

http://www.metrolyri...ean-martin.html

And, America is not a country -- I guess that is some British-ism. ;)

#43 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• 7,120 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:30

Hello,
You never buy food at a restaurant. You always buy the preparation, cooking and serving of the food. NEVER forget that...

this could apply to a Restaurant in fine distinct, to justify their high prices.

Preparation, cooking and serving A PIZZA !?!?!   are you kidding me?  there is no skill, talent, or even effort involved in sticking a frozen pizza in the oven, waiting for a timer to beep, and cutting a slice!   NONE.  zero skills needed. expect a working ears and ability to roll a pizza cutting tool

#44 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• 1,687 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:42

Their quality went to **** when they went to frozen dough and vacuum packed toppings.  It used to be fresh vegetables and mixed dough.

This was back when I was just out of high school when they switched (1995), so some might not remember how it used to be.

That explains why I loved Pizza Hut when I was a kid, and then started hating it when I got older. I figured there was a change in how the pizzas were made. We just make pizzas now, or we get it from the bar down the street.

#45 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,881 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:48

Last time I was in the states I tried all the fast food which had confusing names to me to see what it was. Was disappointed to find Pizza Pie was not a pizza with a pie crust on top. And Cheese Steak is a kebab with melted cheese. :(

forget their coffee too, it's like drinking water :(