7.0.4 Update silently banning third party cables & chargers?

I updated my ipad on monday, when it came to about 2% i plugged it in to be charged, however it would not charge not matter what lead i used or what charger, as at the start i thought my lead was faulty, i lost my original ipad charging lead years ago but i still charge it using the official charger, at this point i asked my friend to come over with his iphone 4s which is still on ios 6 (as i own a HTC 8x) and my old lead charged perfectly, this then got me thinking, so i asked my mother to come over as she has an iphone 5 with 7.0.3 and true to form her iphone charged perfectly, then i updated her phone to 7.0.4 and low and behold her phone would no longer charge with the same lead, i have since bought another third party lead with the apple MFi program and now works fine at half the price of an official lead.

now my question is where was the warning? when i updated through my ipad in the release notes there was nothing about banning third party cables, i haven't tested yet but does this apply to chargers to or is it limited to cables only?,

because this is my only apple device i own, i knew that the apple eco system was closed off and for a tablet that was all i needed but does this mean apple is now slowly closing off their hardware too?

sorry for all the questions was just frustrating i had to buy another cable when my original one was perfectly fine.

Which plug are you using? my daughter has an issue when she plugs her ipad into my iphone plug as it doesn't give enough power, but when she uses her bigger one that gives more power it works. Check your plug

Edit: you said official charger (i assume this is the plug)

im using the charging plug that came with the ipad, i also used my brother in laws ipad charger witch yields the same results, and to clarify i used multiple sockets around the home to make sure it wasn't that either, and i have a 4 port charger wich used to work before the update also does not work anymore since the update this charger works with my phone and my gf's android tablet

My daughter's laptop has still not been upgraded to ios7 yet though so I guess I can't say, I'll have to clear some of her apps and give it an upgrade to see how hers charges afterwards

Hello,

AFAIK, via hardware there is no hardware in Apple chargers and Apple products that can "ban" third party cables/chargers.

Having said that, there is a possibility that 7.0.3 asked for 3A (Im pulling numbers out of my ass) and for some odd reason 7.0.4 asks for 3.1A and older/3rd party chargers are not prepared.

This is the only logical explanation to this as I imagine you tried everything else such as different cables (official and nonofficial) etc...

• Like 1

Although I cannot contribute anything helpful, and I apologise for that,

It seems a little unfair to not be allowed to use a third party charger... seeing as not everyone can afford to just run out and buy an official spare one on impulse.

A number of people have mentioned that since updating to "iOS 7" 3rd party chargers (and even cables) have been causing this message.

I've found it at work too, iOS 6 was no problem though.

Raa, yes i heard about messages in the ios7 beta but i think they got rid of that for the final release of ios7, 
Aheer.R.S. yes i agree too, i'm fortunate to be able to afford it, but then again i guess it's the age old argument of saying if you can afford an apple product you can afford official chargers and cables, but then again what about people who buy second hand
riahc3, if this is true how did apple know people was using third party cables and chargers in ios7? only just done a google search on apple forms, and if your right about 3.1a, why would they let ipad2 be upgraded to ios7.0.4 knowing that the original chargers would be obsolete? 

• Like 1

AFAIK, via hardware there is no hardware in Apple chargers and Apple products that can "ban" third party cables/chargers.

This is incorrect. Lightning cables contain a microcontroller to deal with authentication etc. See the Wikipedia article on Lightning (second paragraph of the Technology section). Apple can and does block unauthorised cables.

Hello,

This is incorrect. Lightning cables contain a microcontroller to deal with authentication etc. See the Wikipedia article on Lightning (second paragraph of the Technology section). Apple can and does block unauthorised cables.

Correct. I apoligize. I quickly read the Lightning vs microusb and saw a part of auth but thought it was a software thing. I reread the entire article and saw that it brings a chip.

Also, it contains the answer to this thread :p

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-now-blocking-third-party-lightning-cables-after-earlier-warning-shot/

Updates problably blocked cracked chips further that did allow charging/usage.

I IMAGINE that jailbreaking it might remove this limitation from the iProduct side.

riahc3, this doesn't answer this thread as this is about the 30pin charging cables on the ipad 2, although this is indeed worrying for new iphone users, or do you think my mothers 30 pin to lightning connector is to blame also? confused.com

riahc3, this doesn't answer this thread as this is about the 30pin charging cables on the ipad 2, although this is indeed worrying for new iphone users, or do you think my mothers 30 pin to lightning connector is to blame also? confused.com

I see your profile says you are from the UK, I am from the US.  My IP 5S and IP Air are both on 7.0.4.  I have cables from monoprice (monoprice.com) which is a US company and I haven't had any problems with them.  I know that monoprice is a certified 3rd party just like Belkin and Targus are.  Maybe this update is to block the knock off Chinese ones that have been making the news lately for catching fire.

I updated my ipad on monday, when it came to about 2% i plugged it in to be charged, however it would not charge not matter what lead i used or what charger, as at the start i thought my lead was faulty, i lost my original ipad charging lead years ago but i still charge it using the official charger, at this point i asked my friend to come over with his iphone 4s which is still on ios 6 (as i own a HTC 8x) and my old lead charged perfectly, this then got me thinking, so i asked my mother to come over as she has an iphone 5 with 7.0.3 and true to form her iphone charged perfectly, then i updated her phone to 7.0.4 and low and behold her phone would no longer charge with the same lead, i have since bought another third party lead with the apple MFi program and now works fine at half the price of an official lead.

now my question is where was the warning? when i updated through my ipad in the release notes there was nothing about banning third party cables, i haven't tested yet but does this apply to chargers to or is it limited to cables only?,

because this is my only apple device i own, i knew that the apple eco system was closed off and for a tablet that was all i needed but does this mean apple is now slowly closing off their hardware too?

sorry for all the questions was just frustrating i had to buy another cable when my original one was perfectly fine.

Any cable and charger that has the "mad for apple" logo on the packaging should work after any update. they should also have proper marking on the cable. whereas "pirate" cables and chargers won't. 

This has been known about since iPhone5 and lighting came about. every update will ban old "pirate" cables. official cables, first or third party will continue t work as they have the proper chip in them with a license key thingy. "pirate" cables and chargers will just pretend and use old codes and will thus stop working next update when their codes are removed. 

It's stupid, but Apple did this in response to those couple of people in China that died by using knock-off cables that failed.

I one side, they just want to cover themselves from a lawsuit, but obviously they also want you to buy their expensive ass replacements.

Make of it what you want.  :pinch:

Hello,

Sorry but your posts are kinda hard to read...

Anyways, official Apple adapters (like the original 30 pin to Lightning) should work as I imagine the adapter itself has the Lightning chip but nonofficial adapters, from or not from Apple, should not work.

Im not a Apple fan but I agree with this: We have had a lot of stories about Apple and iProducts blowing up, burning, etc. and most were because of 3rd party adapters. Lightning adapters move more electricity (its not exactly electricity but everyone knows what Im talking about, damn it :p ) so are more prone to malfunctions than USB. Apple refuses to have this bad publicity so they certify their chargers and their devices.

Also, AFAIK, Apple doesnt support any nonofficial Apple (or certified by Apple like Logitech gear) hardware in any of their products (iMac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.) so they arent really the bad guys here.

It's stupid, but Apple did this in response to those couple of people in China that died by using knock-off cables that failed.

I one side, they just want to cover themselves from a lawsuit, but obviously they also want you to buy their expensive ass replacements.

Make of it what you want.  :pinch:

Actually they did this before that, especially when you take into account the R&D time.

no they did this because they where tired of other companies selling cheap iphone cables without paying license fees to them. that's the one and only reason they did it.

Actually they did this before that, especially when you take into account the R&D time.

no they did this because they where tired of other companies selling cheap iphone cables without paying license fees to them. that's the one and only reason they did it.

Sure, but it's perfectly reasonable that they did it for legal reasons as well.  If a sue-happy American got injured or killed from a knock-off charger, you can pretty much guarantee that they'd sue Apple instead of the maker of the charger.  And as screwed up as our legal system is, they'd probably win too.

Sure, but it's perfectly reasonable that they did it for legal reasons as well.  If a sue-happy American got injured or killed from a knock-off charger, you can pretty much guarantee that they'd sue Apple instead of the maker of the charger.  And as screwed up as our legal system is, they'd probably win too.

If aforementioned sue-happy American was killed by a knock-off charger, I think he will find it difficult to sue anyone, let alone Apple. Sorry, I couldn't resist :laugh:

Good points there guys, but back to my original post, you guys are talking about the new lightning cables whereas mine is a ipad 2, am i right in saying they "don't" have the authentication chips?