I'm really getting frustrated.

Question

Hello everyone.

I have been trying to learn how to program in multiple programming languages (Python, Ruby, PHP, Visual Basic, C++, JAVA, C#, C.) but I have picked up none of these languages. I have been looking for books for quite a long time, I've been trying hands-on books, I've been trying For Dummies books, Heads First, etc, but I haven't gotten further than writing Hello World.

What my major issue is that I do not understand any of the technical terms, even after Googling them. What happens is that I get a book on C# for example and I pick it up for a little bit, then something that I don't understand comes up and I'm practically forced to give up.

I'm an IT student and I would like to have some programming experience before next year. I am really interested in C#, C++, C and JAVA but I have not found anyone or anything that can help me, even after taking a course in Visual Basic (Which I miserably failed).

Could anybody show the ropes to an absolute idiot? I'm just looking for definitions on all the technical stuff which is in English, not in technical terms.

Thank you so much.

ShellBox.

Unfortunately I didn't no. That's why I struggle reading "simple" programming fundamental books and tutorials. I just simply don't understand what a function is. I know what a variable is and how to do if else statements.

I did state that you need to understand what is a function first. That's why you shouldn't try to learn every concept in any order, and follow a good method like the one I've been recommending in every single post I made in this thread. 

• Like 1

I did state that you need to understand what is a function first. That's why you shouldn't try to learn every concept in any order, and follow a good method like the one I've been recommending in every single post I made in this thread. 

A lot of things that has been recommended to me in this thread is something I simply not understand like I have previously stated. 

A lot of things that has been recommended to me in this thread is something I simply not understand like I have previously stated. 

Then you clearly are not actually reading the replies people give you.

Andre S has repeatedly suggested you look up the Yellow Book.  This book will explain all those basic terms you don't understand.  If you're not going to do as suggested, then give up. You're never going to be able to program if you don't understand the basic concepts, and if you're not going to take people's advise to GET that basic knowledge, what's the point?

Follow the link, download the PDF, and read it.  I've read it myself, it's a VERY good book that gives you all the information you need at the level you need it.  If you're not going to do that, you will never progress in your desire to be a programmer.

• Like 2