husky puppy

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,545 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:46

Do I really need to wait 1 week after the second shot? That brings it to a total of 3 weeks and she is going nuts too much energy. Is it that dangerous to walk them outside a week after the first shot? :D She is 9 weeks old now and she has never been out.

#2 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,270 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:49

Do I really need to wait 1 week after the second shot? That brings it to a total of 3 weeks and she is going nuts too much energy. Is it that dangerous to walk them outside a week after the first shot? :D She is 9 weeks old now and she has never been out.

What type of shot?  I have a husky/shepard mix and even at 10 years old she has tons of energy.  Best advice....get use to it.  Also...get use to having dog hair everywhere and get a great vacuum.

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,807 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:49

What did the vet say? I hear they are quite knowledgable on the subject, something about qualifications in the field. :p

Seriously though, if my vet told me to do something with my dogs, I would listen.

#4 OP Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,545 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:57

What did the vet say? I hear they are quite knowledgable on the subject, something about qualifications in the field. :p

Seriously though, if my vet told me to do something with my dogs, I would listen.

I agree but the husky goes nuts locked at home. I cant play with her constantly and she keeps biting for play as we cant do anything else. She has a chewing bone, I gave her the m&ms green pillow that she loves, she has a couple of rubber balls but still she is bored like hell.

#5 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,062 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 15 January 2014 - 14:59

I have a 4 year old husky.  He is very.. talkative.. and very energetic.  Thing to remember is that huskies are working dogs (as are shepherds) so they are meant to be working, which is why they have a tonne of energy.

What type of shot?  I have a husky/shepard mix and even at 10 years old she has tons of energy.  Best advice....get use to it.  Also...get use to having dog hair everywhere and get a great vacuum.

QFT

#6 OP Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,545 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:08

I have a 4 year old husky.  He is very.. talkative.. and very energetic.  Thing to remember is that huskies are working dogs (as are shepherds) so they are meant to be working, which is why they have a tonne of energy.

QFT

Any recommendations to get her tired at home? xD.

Reason I ask about the shots is because my mate's labrator gave birth in his back yard and the puppies had been outside at all times during summer.

#7 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,166 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:13

I'm not a dog person but wouldn't it be mostly just keeping them away from other dogs? I can't see a problem with 'outside', just more with other dogs you might encounter outside.

#8 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,270 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:17

I agree but the husky goes nuts locked at home. I cant play with her constantly and she keeps biting for play as we cant do anything else. She has a chewing bone, I gave her the m&ms green pillow that she loves, she has a couple of rubber balls but still she is bored like hell.

We go to the dog parks on the weekends.  Also very long walks in the mornings.

QFT

When I get home from work, she loves playing tug-of-war with her rope and throwing around her chew toys.

Any recommendations to get her tired at home? xD.

Reason I ask about the shots is because my mate's labrator gave birth in his back yard and the puppies had been outside at all times during summer.

Things must be a little different between the UK/Europe and the US.  Here in the US we give the dogs yearly rabies shots and they are good to go as soon as it is over.  We also have weekly/monthly flea/tick/heartworm/etc.. treatments.  No of these requirement any home confinement.

#9 OP Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,545 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:17

Also how did you stop your husky biting? I know she is teething and bored so her play for now is biting but it needs to stop while she is young. I tried holding her lower mouth, her nose, replacing my finger with a toy, yelling ouch. Nothing worked permanently.

#10 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,270 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:21

Also how did you stop your husky biting? I know she is teething and bored so her play for now is biting but it needs to stop while she is young. I tried holding her lower mouth, her nose, replacing my finger with a toy, yelling ouch. Nothing worked permanently.

Lots of obedience training.  She is a very well trained dog and very fun to be around.  She doesn't steal food, she doesn't beg, she never ever bites, and she doesn't run away when off leash.  The only time she barks is when the door bell rings.

She is also extremely smart.  She knows when we are going to the dog park and gets to go into the car.  She is very good at sneaking up on geese/birds/rabbits and has even caught a few.

#11 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,807 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:22

Try a squirtable bottle of water. When our dogs were growing up, if they misbehaved we would squirt water at them. The trick is consistency and immediate reaction, otherwise the dog won't know what it is being punished for.

#12 OP Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,545 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:25

Try a squirtable bottle of water. When our dogs were growing up, if they misbehaved we would squirt water at them. The trick is consistency and immediate reaction, otherwise the dog won't know what it is being punished for.

Haha that sounds fun.

Lots of obedience training.  She is a very well trained dog and very fun to be around.  She doesn't steal food, she doesn't beg, she never ever bites, and she doesn't run away when off leash.  The only time she barks is when the door bell rings.

She is also extremely smart.  She knows when we are going to the dog park and gets to go into the car.  She is very good at sneaking up on geese/birds/rabbits and has even caught a few.

I trained her not to steal food nor beg. What we cant do properly yet is pee on the special pads (she actually thinks they are toys) and lots of biting. I would love to let her off the leash in a park but there have been so many incidents of babies mauled by dogs in the UK that it will get myself and my dog in trouble no matter what.

#13 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,270 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:25

Huskies don't respond to negative re-enforcement.  That will never work.  Huskies are very strong willed and very thick headed.  

Perfect example: my dog loves playing outside in the rain and loves the wet grass.  But will not go in the wet grass.  She will hold it until the grass is dry.  A very hard headed dog.  I have never figured it out and won't let it annoy me anymore.

#14 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,940 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:29

Enjoy her, my husky is still hyper after being 3 years old, going on 4.

They are escape artists as well!

As for learning, it doesn't take long at all for a husky to learn something. I taught mine how to sit in an hour, how to catch food in a few days, how to let me place food on his nose and he'll get it after I let go.

#15 OP Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,545 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:30

Huskies don't respond to negative re-enforcement.  That will never work.  Huskies are very strong willed and very thick headed.  

Lol tell me about it :D

The things I learned from this dog about training actually work on my nephews hehe