Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riva

Husky pup, walking her out after shots

31 posts in this topic

Do I really need to wait 1 week after the second shot? That brings it to a total of 3 weeks and she is going nuts too much energy. Is it that dangerous to walk them outside a week after the first shot? :D She is 9 weeks old now and she has never been out.

Do I really need to wait 1 week after the second shot? That brings it to a total of 3 weeks and she is going nuts too much energy. Is it that dangerous to walk them outside a week after the first shot? :D She is 9 weeks old now and she has never been out.

What type of shot?  I have a husky/shepard mix and even at 10 years old she has tons of energy.  Best advice....get use to it.  Also...get use to having dog hair everywhere and get a great vacuum.

1 person likes this

What did the vet say? I hear they are quite knowledgable on the subject, something about qualifications in the field. :p

Seriously though, if my vet told me to do something with my dogs, I would listen.

4 people like this

What did the vet say? I hear they are quite knowledgable on the subject, something about qualifications in the field. :p

Seriously though, if my vet told me to do something with my dogs, I would listen.

I agree but the husky goes nuts locked at home. I cant play with her constantly and she keeps biting for play as we cant do anything else. She has a chewing bone, I gave her the m&ms green pillow that she loves, she has a couple of rubber balls but still she is bored like hell.

I have a 4 year old husky.  He is very.. talkative.. and very energetic.  Thing to remember is that huskies are working dogs (as are shepherds) so they are meant to be working, which is why they have a tonne of energy.

What type of shot?  I have a husky/shepard mix and even at 10 years old she has tons of energy.  Best advice....get use to it.  Also...get use to having dog hair everywhere and get a great vacuum.

QFT

I have a 4 year old husky.  He is very.. talkative.. and very energetic.  Thing to remember is that huskies are working dogs (as are shepherds) so they are meant to be working, which is why they have a tonne of energy.

QFT

Any recommendations to get her tired at home? xD.

Reason I ask about the shots is because my mate's labrator gave birth in his back yard and the puppies had been outside at all times during summer.

I'm not a dog person but wouldn't it be mostly just keeping them away from other dogs? I can't see a problem with 'outside', just more with other dogs you might encounter outside.

I agree but the husky goes nuts locked at home. I cant play with her constantly and she keeps biting for play as we cant do anything else. She has a chewing bone, I gave her the m&ms green pillow that she loves, she has a couple of rubber balls but still she is bored like hell.

We go to the dog parks on the weekends.  Also very long walks in the mornings.

QFT

When I get home from work, she loves playing tug-of-war with her rope and throwing around her chew toys.

Reason I ask about the shots is because my mate's labrator gave birth in his back yard and the puppies had been outside at all times during summer.

Things must be a little different between the UK/Europe and the US.  Here in the US we give the dogs yearly rabies shots and they are good to go as soon as it is over.  We also have weekly/monthly flea/tick/heartworm/etc.. treatments.  No of these requirement any home confinement.

1 person likes this

Also how did you stop your husky biting? I know she is teething and bored so her play for now is biting but it needs to stop while she is young. I tried holding her lower mouth, her nose, replacing my finger with a toy, yelling ouch. Nothing worked permanently.

Also how did you stop your husky biting? I know she is teething and bored so her play for now is biting but it needs to stop while she is young. I tried holding her lower mouth, her nose, replacing my finger with a toy, yelling ouch. Nothing worked permanently.

Lots of obedience training.  She is a very well trained dog and very fun to be around.  She doesn't steal food, she doesn't beg, she never ever bites, and she doesn't run away when off leash.  The only time she barks is when the door bell rings.

She is also extremely smart.  She knows when we are going to the dog park and gets to go into the car.  She is very good at sneaking up on geese/birds/rabbits and has even caught a few.

1 person likes this

Try a squirtable bottle of water. When our dogs were growing up, if they misbehaved we would squirt water at them. The trick is consistency and immediate reaction, otherwise the dog won't know what it is being punished for.
1 person likes this

Try a squirtable bottle of water. When our dogs were growing up, if they misbehaved we would squirt water at them. The trick is consistency and immediate reaction, otherwise the dog won't know what it is being punished for.

Haha that sounds fun.

Lots of obedience training.  She is a very well trained dog and very fun to be around.  She doesn't steal food, she doesn't beg, she never ever bites, and she doesn't run away when off leash.  The only time she barks is when the door bell rings.

She is also extremely smart.  She knows when we are going to the dog park and gets to go into the car.  She is very good at sneaking up on geese/birds/rabbits and has even caught a few.

I trained her not to steal food nor beg. What we cant do properly yet is pee on the special pads (she actually thinks they are toys) and lots of biting. I would love to let her off the leash in a park but there have been so many incidents of babies mauled by dogs in the UK that it will get myself and my dog in trouble no matter what.

Huskies don't respond to negative re-enforcement.  That will never work.  Huskies are very strong willed and very thick headed.  

Perfect example: my dog loves playing outside in the rain and loves the wet grass.  But will not go in the wet grass.  She will hold it until the grass is dry.  A very hard headed dog.  I have never figured it out and won't let it annoy me anymore.

Enjoy her, my husky is still hyper after being 3 years old, going on 4.

They are escape artists as well!

As for learning, it doesn't take long at all for a husky to learn something. I taught mine how to sit in an hour, how to catch food in a few days, how to let me place food on his nose and he'll get it after I let go.

Huskies don't respond to negative re-enforcement.  That will never work.  Huskies are very strong willed and very thick headed.  

Lol tell me about it :D

The things I learned from this dog about training actually work on my nephews hehe

Enjoy her, my husky is still hyper after being 3 years old, going on 4.

They are escape artists as well!

As for learning, it doesn't take long at all for a husky to learn something. I taught mine how to sit in an hour, how to catch food in a few days, how to let me place food on his nose and he'll get it after I let go.

Of everything I have been able to teach my dog over the years, I cannot get her to learn how to roll over.  She just cannot figure that out.  

Huskies also love to have their bellies scratched.  It is something that my dogs in years past never did and it surprised me at first.  They also make great pillows and blankets :)

Of everything I have been able to teach my dog over the years, I cannot get her to learn how to roll over.  She just cannot figure that out.  

Huskies also love to have their bellies scratched.  It is something that my dogs in years past never did and it surprised me at first.  They also make great pillows and blankets :)

She is quite small for pillow or blanket at the moment

Reason I ask about the shots is because my mate's labrator gave birth in his back yard and the puppies had been outside at all times during summer.I

I think you SHOULD be able to take her out, don't go on any crazy long walks.  Also play lots of fetch/tug-o-war.  I used to take my dog for 2 1 hour walks per day.

Not for long.  My mix is 62 lbs. 

Perfect example: my dog loves playing outside in the rain and loves the wet grass.  But will not go in the wet grass.  She will hold it until the grass is dry.  A very hard headed dog.  I have never figured it out and won't let it annoy me anymore.

Aye, I used to say my dog was dumb.  They are very stubborn, and will outsmart you any chance they get.  Though, they can act strange some times.   My dog was running along the fence, and there was a stump he had to jump over.  So he would run back and forth, and the first couple of times did jump over the stump.  However after the 5th or 6th time, he was far enough away from the fence that the stump wasn't int he way, yet he still kept jumping.   Eventually it got to the point where he was only lifting his front paws, and not even jumping anymore, but still thought he had, and was, jumping over the stump.

Not for long.  My mix is 62 lbs. 

Aye, my husky (male) is somewhere between 75 and 85 pounds, probably closer to 90 now if I had to guess.

Yeah I haven't taught mine anything advanced like that. Just simple commands; sit, shake, go to bed, outside (for when he barks in the morning and we're wondering if he has to go to the bathroom). Then there's catching the food and letting us put it on his nose.

Our yellow lab on the other hand, takes awhile to learn, but he gets it down.

Yeah I haven't taught mine anything advanced like that. Just simple commands; sit, shake, go to bed, outside (for when he barks in the morning and we're wondering if he has to go to the bathroom). Then there's catching the food and letting us put it on his nose.

Our yellow lab on the other hand, takes awhile to learn, but he gets it down.

Something that I have taught mine in the last few months is to go fetch a toy when she wants to play.  She leaves her toys in weird places and I hate having to go grab one when she wants to rough house.  So, I just tell her to go find a toy and she runs off and gets one.  Problem is I never know which one she will get...it maybe her tug-of-war rope or it maybe her chew toy.

Something that I have taught mine in the last few months is to go fetch a toy when she wants to play.  She leaves her toys in weird places and I hate having to go grab one when she wants to rough house.  So, I just tell her to go find a toy and she runs off and gets one.  Problem is I never know which one she will get...it maybe her tug-of-war rope or it maybe her chew toy.

That's awesome, sometimes my husky is afraid of it, sometimes he chases it but doesn't pick it up. What did you do to teach yours?

I'm thinking about getting one of those Kong balls to put treats in the middle and throwing it.

Some additional advice:

- if you live in a environment that gets snow...be prepared to love it.  Huskies love snow and will want to be outside in it all the time.  Come summer time, your dog will sleep on top of the a/c vent.

- The dog will want to play at the most inconvenient times.  Mine has been known to want to play fetch in the middle of the night.  She will jump on the bed with her ball and nudge me until I wake up.  Usually I just throw the ball across the room and go back to bed.  I then hear her and the ball for the next 30 minutes running around the rooms.

- I have never been a fan of using crates.  With proper training, the dog should know boundaries.  Mine never has any accidents in the house and never jumps on the furniture unless I let her.  But, she does take over the bed as soon as I leave the house.  What's interesting is that she will not jump up on the bed if I am home.

- You must be the alpha in the house when it comes to Huskies.  You should always eat before you feed the dog.

**If the dog gets wet and they will, no amount of toweling off will get the dog dry.  The dog has too much fur.  I have figured out to just not try and to let her air dry.  Other wise you use every towel in the house and the dog is still wet. 

1 person likes this

Yes noticed how wet she is after baths. I try to be the alpha as much as I cant. I also noticed how she constantly wants to play and if we don't she complains and sleeps :D