• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,699 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 19:44

chromeoswindows8update1_1020_large_verge

Google started dropping hints about its Chrome OS-like plans for Windows 8 back in October. At the time it was merely an experiment in the developer version of Chrome, but today Google is rolling out a new user interface to all Chrome Windows users alongside a noisy tabs tracking feature. The new "Metro" mode essentially converts Chrome for Windows 8 into Chrome OS. Just like Google's full Chrome OS, you can create multiple browser windows and arrange them using a snap to the left or right of the display or full-screen modes. There's even a shelf with Chrome, Gmail, Google, Docs, and YouTube icons that can be arranged at the bottom, left, or right of the screen.

An app launcher is also available in the lower left-hand corner, providing access to search and recent apps. It’s all clearly designed to work well with touch on Windows 8, something that the traditional desktop version of Chrome has not focused on so far. The "Metro" mode presents the keyboard automatically, and also includes the ability to navigate and resize windows within the Chrome OS-like environment. Some UI elements still require some touch optimization, but overall it’s a better experience than the existing desktop version with touch.

While the Chrome browser acts as a Windows 8 application, it's using a special mode that Microsoft has enabled specifically for web browsers. The software maker allows browsers on Windows 8 to launch in its "Metro-style" environment providing they're set as default. The applications are listed in the Windows Store and they're still desktop apps, but the exception allows them to mimic Windows 8 apps and access the app and snapping features of the OS. While Chrome runs in this mode on Windows 8, Microsoft does not permit this type of behavior on Windows RT.

Google’s latest update for Windows 8 is clearly a big step forwards in its Chrome Apps initiative. The search giant is working with developers to create apps that exist outside of the browser and extend Chrome’s reach into more of a platform for third parties to build upon. Having a Chrome OS-like environment directly inside of Windows 8 extends Google’s browser into a Trojan horse to eventually convince users to download more and more Chrome Apps and possibly push them towards Chrome OS in the future.

We’ve reached out to Microsoft for comment on whether Google’s latest Chrome OS update conforms with the Metro-style browser policies, and we’ll update you accordingly.

Screens:  http://www.theverge....s-8-screenshots

http://www.theverge....me-os-interface

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,016 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 January 2014 - 19:45

Yuck. I believe they call that a Trojan Horse. Block it.

#3 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,503 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 15 January 2014 - 21:10

google is seriously missing the point of the modern apps

#4 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 15 January 2014 - 21:14

Hey if you have a full screen you gotta use.. might as well. 

#5 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• 391 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 15 January 2014 - 21:16

I can actually see this being useful but I don't think its necessary at all.

#6 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 1,566 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 15 January 2014 - 21:19

This could come in handy on April 1st.

"I replaced Windows with Chrome OS! Hope you don't mind! You don't need local programs, right?"

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,016 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 21:33

Hey if you have a full screen you gotta use.. might as well. 

It doesn't follow MSFT's guidelines.

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:01

It doesn't follow MSFT's guidelines.

Which ones?

#9 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,156 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:02

Which ones?

As much as I like to poke fun at Google.. even Microsoft doesn't follow Microsoft's guidelines half the time.

That said, zero interest myself (I'd rather see my other applications too..) but I can see people who are really heavy into Google apps maybe wanting this.

#10 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:09

Windows 8 is the Matryoshka doll of operating systems...

#11 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,716 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:53

Yuck. I believe they call that a Trojan Horse. Block it.

not a windows store app, no big deal, but this validates and justifies microsofts decision to go with the windows store and have more of a controlled environment for applications. 

#12 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,699 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:06

Dont want it, dont use it.  Just like the thousands of other apps people do not use and skip past day to day.

#13 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,016 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:17

Yup. Uninstalled it a while back. Won't touch it again. I'm done with Google's Proxy War.

#14 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:19

not a windows store app, no big deal, but this validates and justifies microsofts decision to go with the windows store and have more of a controlled environment for applications. 

How does this justify or validate anything?  This just give more freedom to people that DO want to use Chrome apps.

As +techbeck said, "Don't want it?  Don't use it."

I personally don't want a more controlled environment.  You have to wait for apps to be ported, or don't get them at all.  I'll take more options over less any day.

#15 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,513 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:24

No, it isn't.  The issue (for Google) is that it simply prefers its OWN app model to Microsoft's.  The two are not mutually exclusive (for the simple reason that the suddenly-far-larger Chrome is still a browser) - however, how many developers will go exclusively-Google/Chrome?  (Right now, the majority of exclusive plug-ins for Chrome are niche sorts - such as Wolfram Alpha.)  My complaint (with the Google browser) is that it needs to work more on basic features that it already has (in particular, the included support for Adobe Flash) if it expects the Trojan Browser strategy to gain traction.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!