• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,414 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:30

Yuck. I believe they call that a Trojan Horse. Block it.

Parasitic behavior with Windows being the host.

#17 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,293 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:44

This is good news for Windows 8, honestly.  Now you can get best of both worlds when you buy a Windows tablet: ChromeOS and Windows 8, and jump between them, if that's what you're into.  I'll probably give it a shot just out of curiosity.  It also means that if Google is going to put this much work into the metro side of things, they obviously have started taking it seriously.

#18 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• 5,290 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 15 January 2014 - 23:47

google is seriously missing the point of the modern apps

I think everyone is missing the point of modern apps. Developers are scratching their head thinking 'this is draconian/oppressive' inregards to the store and MS themselves cannot even ensure quality apps on the store, they are mostly wishy washy, and do not follow strict metro guidelines. If you want to call Googled software inferior to modern apps, wow then you seriously need to have a look at functionality wise what the trade offs are. Most fanboys coming into the this thread all do the same thing : quickly discredit google with an one liner statement " of this spyware, insert some off topic comment" sorta ramble.

#19 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 717 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 January 2014 - 00:04

I think everyone is missing the point of modern apps. Developers are scratching their head thinking 'this is draconian/oppressive' inregards to the store and MS themselves cannot even ensure quality apps on the store, they are mostly wishy washy, and do not follow strict metro guidelines. If you want to call Googled software inferior to modern apps, wow then you seriously need to have a look at functionality wise what the trade offs are. Most fanboys coming into the this thread all do the same thing : quickly discredit google with an one liner statement " of this spyware, insert some off topic comment" sorta ramble.

From a UI standpoint Chrome in the Modern interface stinks. It's just the desktop app in full screen. It has horrible touch support for things like closing tabs and the UI does not lend itself to smaller screens at all.

From a functionality standpoint, it's very promising. I do like having the Google services available, and having the ChromeOS experience in Windows isn't bad by any means.

There's a reason why MS is trying to keep the interface standard, it works and it makes for a better overall experience. However, some programs do not lend themselves well to this interface, and should be exempted. Chrome is not one of them.

I should add that Chrome is my primary browser, but not my default browser.

#20 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,259 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 00:07

How does this justify or validate anything?  This just give more freedom to people that DO want to use Chrome apps.

windows is not something you just dump something on. its not a truck.

#21 OP +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,436 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:10

How does this justify or validate anything?  This just give more freedom to people that DO want to use Chrome apps.

People just like to bash what they hate is all.  This is no different than installing MS Office or a different web browser.  No one is forcing anyone to install or use this.  Myself, I will not be installing it.

Huh?  This is like any other app that have been "dumped" on Windows for decades.

#22 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 10,044 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:12

It is a truck.

#23 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,195 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:13

i am not certain about the release builds however, this has been around since at least November on the dev builds. its kind clunky and very strange to see running. I can honestly say other than toying around with it. I will never use the feature.

#24 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 749 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:15

Anything is better than Metro!!!

#25 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:15

I personally don't want a more controlled environment.  You have to wait for apps to be ported, or don't get them at all.  I'll take more options over less any day.

Amen. The Windows 8 apologists defending turning the PC into a closed-platform do more to drive me away from Windows than any campaign from Apple or Google could ever hope to.

#26 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,790 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:22

Which ones?

I don't personally care for Chrome (IE11 and Ff are my main drivers) but here is a good list by Ed Bott. All of them seem to be valid problems.

• There’s no pinch-to-zoom support. I opened Chrome 32 in Windows 8 mode on two touch-enabled Windows 8 devices. Although I could use a finger to scroll, select objects, and open links, the pinch-to-zoom gesture doesn’t work. That’s a particular problem on high-DPI screens (relatively small size, with full HD resolution), where the text for web pages is unreadable. You have to use the Zoom menu to resize pages in that mode.
  • There’s no app bar, either. Normally, swiping up from the bottom of a Windows 8 app (or, on a desktop PC, right-clicking or using the Windows key+Z shortcut) opens the app bar at the bottom of the screen, with additional commands. This functionality doesn’t work in Chrome’s Windows 8 mode. Likewise, Chrome Settings aren’t available from the Settings charm (Windows key+I) as they are in other apps.
  • The Share charm is unsupported. One of the signature features of Windows 8 apps is the ability to pass content between apps using the Share charm. Using the Windows 8 version of Internet Explorer, for example, you can send a link to Twitter, to Evernote or OneNote, or to a new Mail message. After more than 18 months of Chrome development on Windows 8, this feature isn’t enabled, which means Chrome doesn’t play well with other Windows 8 apps.
  • Web pages display incorrectly when using Windows 8.1’s snap mode. One of the signature features of Windows 8.1 is the ability to snap apps at variable widths. That capability is especially well executed with scenarios like opening a photo from the Windows 8.1 Mail app or viewing info about an available update from PC Settings. In those cases, the original app shrinks to occupy the left side of the screen, with the second app opening to its right. Because Chrome in Windows 8 mode looks like a Windows 8 app, you can snap it to half-screen size. But when you do, the app’s contents don’t resize to the new shape. The result is a mess, with half the screen (including the Chrome menu) invisible and inaccessible.

http://www.zdnet.com...top-7000025190/

I also read somewhere that Chrome has started using non-native controls (scroll bars and check boxes) that are too small even for a mouse.

#27 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 2,106 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 16 January 2014 - 16:25

Amen. The Windows 8 apologists defending turning the PC into a closed-platform do more to drive me away from Windows than any campaign from Apple or Google could ever hope to.

How is the PC a closed platform under Windows 8? I can run anything I want on my stationary PC and laptop.

RT is a different story, but that's no different from iOS. And I know of at least one person who would benefit from a closed platform. Had 2000 instances of malware on her system when I cleaned it up and then got scammed 3 days later. She really should have a Surface RT. Or a Chromebook. Anything that can limit the amount of trouble she can get into.