New user interface for gedit

gedit has a new face

gedit1.png

We just landed to git master the changes that implement a refresh of the main user interface.

While small changes and iterations in the UI happened in every cycle, this is the most radical change in the UI in years so it is a very important and significative change.

gedit2.png

The goal of this work is to create a modern, slicker interface which wastes less screen estate and lets you focus on the text or code you are writing. No features were harmed in the making of this new UI.

gedit4.png

These changes bring gedit in line with the latest GNOME conventions and take advantages of the new design patterns and GTK widgets.

gedit3.png

However some of the concepts there have been brewing for a long time and saw many iterations in test branches and mockups.

Some words about what you see in the pictures above

• not everything is set in stone, we would very much welcome feedback
  • the tabs look and feel is part of the latest Adwaita gtk theme and not something custom in gedit and could be still subject to changes
  • while what you see is the new default look of gedit, the changes to the code base should allow us to have far better integration with the environment we are running on and allow us to easily have different UI on OSX, Windows, Unity, etc. (help from people running gedit out of gnome-shell is very much welcome)

What about plugins

plugins that interacted with the menu will need to be adapted to the new API. We are a bit sorry we had to (partially) break the plugin API again, but this cannot be helped since with the current manpower we can focus on a specific set of changes during each cycle.

We hope you enjoy this new face of gedit and you are very welcome to enter in the #gedit channel of the Gimpnet IRC in case you want to contact with us and discuss any issues about the new design or if you want to help to better support gedit in your favourite desktop environment.

Source: blogs.gnome.org

It looks okay, I still prefer Geany though. The title bar looks disproportionately huge compared to the rest of the interface.

I am getting tired of this title bar integration in applications. Why the bloody hell is everything in Gnome 3 so large and ugly? Gnome takes a step forward and two back. Now I cannot even use themes to make it less painful when they integrate the title bar. Who uses stuff this big and clunky?

Pretty good. I wonder if this is using the new GTK3 HeaderBar.

Sounds a bit like what Elementary OS is doing.

I am getting tired of this title bar integration in applications. Why the bloody hell is everything in Gnome 3 so large and ugly? Gnome takes a step forward and two back. Now I cannot even use themes to make it less painful when they integrate the title bar. Who uses stuff this big and clunky?

http://elementaryos.org/journal/the-heuristics-of-headerbars

Take a look at that. A well-designed header bar is smaller than a title bar + toolbar. Those in Gnome 3 are gigantic though, I have to say.

Yeah, I think it looks good. A little startlingly minimal at first, but then I realize that I don't really use any menus in gedit, just CTRL+S to save and CTRL+W/Q to close and that's about it.

Gedit 2 was better.

UkUTAwu.png

So much work and **** to save one line.

Agreed... If that's the future of gedit... Just wow...

I'd rather revert to nano or even vi than use the new whacky interface.

There's a reason the menu bar has been around for over 20 years - it's simple, it works and it's fast - none of which can be said for the new interface.

It looks a bit weird, but then so do all applications that use the new window decorator. I guess I'll eventually get used to it.

sorry but the old looks old and provides nothing of use, only looking dated and wasting space

Well to be fair it doesn't look as old as that screenshot when using more modern widgets/themes (and tango icons alone have a certain vintage feeling):

4upw.png

But yeah, it's old.

The thing is anyway that old or not I don't remember ever using the menus in gedit, and out of the toolbar buttons only "save" and "new", at most. There was a plugin that removed the menu from the app, but it did no longer work on recent versions of gedit (maybe there are other plugins that work now, I didn't bother to look when that one broke).

Pretty good. I wonder if this is using the new GTK3 HeaderBar.

Sounds a bit like what Elementary OS is doing.

http://elementaryos.org/journal/the-heuristics-of-headerbars

Take a look at that. A well-designed header bar is smaller than a title bar + toolbar. Those in Gnome 3 are gigantic though, I have to say.

I suppose it can work. The problem is, when you mix and match it looks funny. I figured I would play with Gnome 3.10 a bit since I have not since it was released. Even my Firefox themed to match, Nautilus and the new upcoming Gedit (not in Arch repositories yet), that leaves everything else inheriting the old title bar. Hopefully they can work it out with the developers of at least the most common applications.

So instead of making gedit more powerful and feature rich they focused on changing the menu/toolbar? what? Was anyone really upset with the old one?

• Like 2

I used gedit a lot, i dont like this update

i have been using vi recently while playing with server and it gets me by

So instead of making gedit more powerful and feature rich they focused on changing the menu/toolbar? what? Was anyone really upset with the old one?

It's not a gedit specific thing, all Gnome apps have or will receive the same treatment: 

edym.png

*shrugs*