Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A peculiar event.

Question

Posted

Hello everyone.

 

I upgraded my PC a few days ago and after upgrading it stopped working completely. Now, what I mean by completely is that it does not start up and literally does not make a sound.

 

My friend and I have been googling for hours for a solution because we simply couldn't figure out what the problem was. After hours of googling and speaking to experts at my college they have said it is my power supply.

 

I have an OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt power supply at the moment and it's been serving me well for about 3 years now. 

 

An hour before we replaced my components my PC was working perfectly fine, no smoke, no burning smell or anything. It literally hasn't made a single sound, even after attempting to jump start it.

 

Is this because my PSU messed up or is it something else?

 

On my old motherboard a green light burned but it still didn't do anything after turning it on. On my new motherboard nothing pops up, no lights are burning, the fan isn't moving on either motherboard either.

The components we replaced are my CPU, my motherboard (we have tried wiring it in every possible way) and RAM.

 

Thank you all very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

  • 0

Posted

Umm, what did you upgrade? Could be a number of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

Umm, what did you upgrade? Could be a number of things.

 

I have listed them in the OP. I upgraded my CPU, motherboard and my RAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

PSU probably,

 

one other thing is something very simple, the power switch on the case could be loose or broken....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

If jump start (paperclip) didn't move it, it must be the PSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

Or you could have plugged the case plugs in wrong (hd light, power button etc.)

 

Have you tried turning computer on using the jumper on motherboard (see manual)

 

What are your specs and what was the old motherboard?

 

Have to check sorry, but you've definitely got the ATX main power seated correctly, along with whatever 12v plugs the motherboard needs? 

 

It seems strange a solid PSU like yours would silently **** the bed just like that.

 

edit: just re-read and noticed you also tried old motherboard. seems like psu, although it's strange that you get the light on th eold one and not the new one. Have you also tried jumper start on the old mobo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

If jump start (paperclip) didn't move it, it must be the PSU.

This. You said you "attempted to jump start it", but I don't know if you mean the same thing. Short pin 14 (green) to ground (black, pins on either side are ground) on the 20 pin connector. If the PSU doesn't come on, it's bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

Remove the CPU, remove the RAM, remove all peripherals THEN turn it on.

 

If it powers on and/or gives diagnostic errors (beep codes) then it is probably not a PSU issue. Note, it is also possible that it would refuse to power on in this state or power on for a brief second and instantly shutoff.

 

 

This. You said you "attempted to jump start it", but I don't know if you mean the same thing. Short pin 14 (green) to ground (black, pins on either side are ground) on the 20 pin connector. If the PSU doesn't come on, it's bad.

He shouldn't do this unless he really knows what he is doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

My first guess dealing this kinda stuff all the time would be PSU then if thats not the case MOBO.   Harder to tell specially when I dont know what kind of motherboard and cpu ect you had and what you went to.   

 

I had a situation not to long ago where a friend upgraded his computer and had a short and the first time he turned it on the fan spun for a second then nothing and he had fried the PSU and the mobo.  I dunno why but out of the last 4 PCs I upgraded 2 had faulty power supplies 1 of which was working fine just before upgrade. 

 

I always to just run down the street and get a power supply and if that wasnt the prob i just take it back and get teh mobo instead because people tend to screw crap up more trying to do crap they find on google to see what the problem is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted

first: is the PSU connected correctly to the mainboard? if yes then does the mainboard light up any LED when the power is ON? Can you do a shunt to the PSU to check if it working?

 

Just those two components plugged in together should work (although without a CPU and mem the board would bip like crazy, but still turn on).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.