How much airflow does the Xbox one need?

I have a tv stand where the bottom is enclosed in the front and back.

I currently have my blu ray player on one side. Other side has my cable/DVR box.

Bottom has two full sides of blu rays and DVDs. I am thinking of buying a blu ray rack and put the Blu rays there and putting the xbox one whenever I get it in there. I have my xbox slim on top of the stand which it sits lower then my tv which is perfect. However the new one is bigger and taller so I will notice it and it will bug me.

However I don't want it to over heat.

Well if I have read correctly, nowhere near as much as the original 360 used to require however because of the issues in the past I would go for as much as possible. It is a pretty quiet unit so if you hear the fan ramping up then I would suggest it doesn't have enough.

I believe there is a safety feature which scales back performance if it starts to reach higher temperatures too.

The heat from the X1 comes mostly from the top, right half, so that area needs the airflow to carry the heat away. Its not as much about space as it is moving air, so having say 3-4 inches clearance all around it would be fine as long as you are not closing it up in the space.

So are saying that space it will be in has a closed back? Is there also a door that will cover the front of that space?

The heat from the X1 comes mostly from the top, right half, so that area needs the airflow to carry the heat away. Its not as much about space as it is moving air, so having say 3-4 inches clearance all around it would be fine as long as you are not closing it up in the space.

So are saying that space it will be in has a closed back? Is there also a door that will cover the front of that space?

Yeah it's enclosed front is a door, and the back is wood.  with a hole for wires.  hmm.  Guess it might just go up top.

What I did to my unit (similar by the sounds of it), is drill some holes at the back for air to escape. This was a 360 (not the newest but one before) And it was fine. I did think about adding a 140mm fan to the back with some kind of power converter so I could plug into mains, but it wasn't needed in the end.

If you're putting it in the same space you might have had a 360 in before which ran without issue then the XB1 will run just fine in it, though it might need more room to fit smoothly.  

Yeah it's enclosed front is a door, and the back is wood.  with a hole for wires.  hmm.  Guess it might just go up top.

Well what are the dimensions of the space?

If its small and enclosed, I would hesitate putting the X1 or any console in there. If its a rather large space, I might feel better. Luckily, my setup has doors but with an open back, so I can hide it away and still not worry.

If it was me in that situation, I would rather put it somewhere else vs putting it in a space that is enclosed and offers no airflow if possible.

If you're putting it in the same space you might have had a 360 in before which ran without issue then the XB1 will run just fine in it, though it might need more room to fit smoothly.

That's a good point. If it worked fine for the 360 it will certainly be fine for the X1

Hello,

Id remove the blu ray player. No point to it right?

Later, Id just destroy the back and make it open (or at least drill more holes to make it a bit more open). Makes no sense to have a closed back.

Well what are the dimensions of the space?

If its small and enclosed, I would hesitate putting the X1 or any console in there. If its a rather large space, I might feel better. Luckily, my setup has doors but with an open back, so I can hide it away and still not worry.

If it was me in that situation, I would rather put it somewhere else vs putting it in a space that is enclosed and offers no airflow if possible.

That's a good point. If it worked fine for the 360 it will certainly be fine for the X1

I would say if I set it on the bottom shelf, it has a 8 inch tall spot and maybe a foot sideways?  Maybe a foot an a half. then maybe 3 to 4 inches left in the back I'll have to measure it exactly.  

Hello,

Id remove the blu ray player. No point to it right?

Later, Id just destroy the back and make it open (or at least drill more holes to make it a bit more open). Makes no sense to have a closed back.

My blu ray player is connected to all my speakers for my home theater.   I cut probably cut some holes. 

The 360 sits ontop of the stand, so it doesn't have issues. 

I would say if I set it on the bottom shelf, it has a 8 inch tall spot and maybe a foot sideways?  Maybe a foot an a half. then maybe 3 to 4 inches left in the back I'll have to measure it exactly.

Hmm, well that is actually a nice amount of space around the console. The back doesn't need as much since the console doesn't vent much that way.

Well it wouldn't hurt anything to try it out in there. The key is to keep a close eye on it. Check the temp in the space after playing for a bit, maybe 30 minutes and then again an hour later. If the space feel pretty warm or hot, I would be concerned that its not allowing the console to move cool air across the hardware. If the space is room temp or cool, then it seems fine.