Sony won't offer option to disable DualShock 4 light bar

ps4

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 red.

red.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:03

Can you disable it by opening the controller and disconnecting the LEDs?

I think so. I saw a poster on Neogaf do just that in order to do some testing on how long the controller lasts. I can't remember the exact results though but i don't think the experiment was using the exact scenario for both tests so it skewed the results.

#17 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 January 2014 - 15:42

i actually went looking the other day for the option to disable the light. Obviously not there. Since i watch a lot of Netflix, and the like, my controller sits idle most of the time. i'd welcome any improvement to the DS4's battery life.

#18 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:06

i actually went looking the other day for the option to disable the light. Obviously not there. Since i watch a lot of Netflix, and the like, my controller sits idle most of the time. i'd welcome any improvement to the DS4's battery life.

Doesn't the PS4 have an option to turn manually turn off the controller like the PS3? No reason to keep it on while watching a show.

#19 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:17

Doesn't the PS4 have an option to turn manually turn off the controller like the PS3? No reason to keep it on while watching a show.

Yeah the auto turn off feature after x amount of minutes is already there. Can't believe it took years to come to the PS3 back in the day lol.

#20 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:24

Yep it does, and either by default it is very short, or I set it to be very short, as I think after 5-10 minutes my controller just turns off on it's own.
I do not see any reflection thanks to my setup, and not thanks to me being an old man I will never even come close to using it long enough that it dies, so none of this bothers me at all really, but I guess I see how people who have 12.5 hours a day to dedicate to gaming would be upset. I've just gotten into the habit of making sure 1 of my 2 controllers is charged at all times.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:45

Yep it does, and either by default it is very short, or I set it to be very short, as I think after 5-10 minutes my controller just turns off on it's own.
I do not see any reflection thanks to my setup, and not thanks to me being an old man I will never even come close to using it long enough that it dies, so none of this bothers me at all really, but I guess I see how people who have 12.5 hours a day to dedicate to gaming would be upset. I've just gotten into the habit of making sure 1 of my 2 controllers is charged at all times.

The thing is of course that the controller has a lithium battery, lithium batteries life is measure in charge cycles, unlike NiMH who can be "revived" and kept alive longer by taking tare of them well enough, a lithium battery however has a certain amount of charges in it's life. and I'm guessing the controllers don't have the fancy 900-1200+ cycles batteries, but the standard ~600 cycles ones(hopefully not the old ~300 ish ones). this means that instead of using the battery for 4-5 days or more before charging them, you're wasting cycles by charging every day, because the controller has low battery capacity, or rather it uses excessive power for now good reason.

also didn't Sony at the reveal or E3 or something promise it would be possible to disable when the issue of annoying light and reflection first came up ? I seem to remember they did. 

Also I thought "it doesn't effect me" was declared a non valid argument months ago ;)

#22 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:55

According to what I have read, Netflix will pause if you manually turn off DS4.

#23 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:01

According to what I have read, Netflix will pause if you manually turn off DS4.

Seriously? :huh: Netflix needs to get that fixed ASAP.

#24 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:09

Yeah if that is the case, they seriously do, as I was watching Crackle last night, a few 22-25 minute long episodes of the new season of Comedians in Cars Having Coffee, and I had to turn it on each time I went to go watch another episode.

#25 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:15

That is true, but its hard to forget how good the battery life was for the DS3 and not to mention the X1/360 controllers.

I guess its more about comparing it to what has come before more than anything.

I just keep my ps4 controller plugged in, no reason to even mess with it.

#26 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:25

That is true, but its hard to forget how good the battery life was for the DS3 and not to mention the X1/360 controllers.

I guess its more about comparing it to what has come before more than anything.

I just keep my ps4 controller plugged in, no reason to even mess with it.

No argument me that longer battery life is better, and even with my limited time I have noticed it does seem to have not the best of life. I was really just saying (un)fortunately now I do not really see the affects. I am lucky to get 2 solid hours these days. And I am pretty sure it would bother the hell out of me if I did see the reflection, but I think it is a combination of being far from my TV and my couch is very much sunken so I am pretty low when sitting in it and playing games, and I also rarely play in the pitch dark either. Actually now that I think about it most of it has to do with how low I am in the couch I guess, as when my camera does the auto sign in I have to lift the controller up for it to be recognized. If I somehow did see the reflection, it would be annoying and it to me it is pretty common sense it should not be activated unless it has to be. But I guess maybe they were going for something to distinguish themselves. Glowing controller = PlayStation. Just not the best idea overall.

#27 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:25

I don't know for sure, just something I read. :-) I guess one of the PS4 owners here can check.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:34

personally I wouldn't see the reflection anyway. my 55 inch is to high, and the projector screen doesn't reflect. still wouldn't like it. 

#29 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:39

Whoever did these measurements obviously doesn't have a good understanding of circuit design.  That or Sony is atrocious at simple circuit design, but I find that hard to believe.

Here's why:

The claim is that the LED(s) draw a constant 40-50 mA more when on than off.  That's cool and all, but no intelligent designer will design it that way.  There's a little concept called "persistence of vision" that plays a big part here.  At a certain point, the human eye can't distinguish between when a light is blinking or constant.  Because of this, any smart designer will integrate a timer that will pulse the LEDs with short "blips" such that it looks constant to the human eye.  If you looked at the LED with a high speed camera, I guarantee it blinks. Without doing the math, I'm guessing the summation of the current draw, over the life of the battery, is 75-90% less than the constant 40-50mA that is being claimed here.

Ask yourself this:  Why are there so many LED flashlights and toys on the market that use tiny batteries, but yet last for days, months, or even years?  Hmmm... maybe because they use timers to exponentially increase the battery life.

#30 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:41

I don't know for sure, just something I read. :-) I guess one of the PS4 owners here can check.

If you turn the controller off manually Netflix pauses, letting it run for 10 minutes just now to check what happens when it automatically goes off (power saving settings).