Dell Venue Pro 8 - Who has it?

I'm interested in a Windows tablet which cannot run RT. So, I seen the Dell Venue Pro 8 and love it. My only question is, who here has one? What are your pro's and con's?

I need it for simple things when I travel; must have a USB port (which Dell Venue Pro 8 doesn't, it's only for charging), support keyboard and mouse.

But, when I'm at home, all I need is a USB port; occasionally.

I just watched a video review on this. Here is the link: http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/103

My wife just bought one of these at Costco last night. This is her first experience with a tablet and with Windows 8 (she has a Nexus 4). She got it to use at school for reading e-textbooks and taking notes in class. She wanted/needed MS Office, so Win tabs were her only option. She was disappointed it didn't come with a stylus, even though one is pictured on the box. 

I only had it in my hands for a minute when I set up the wifi for her. It feels like a nice piece of hardware. It's about 4-5 pounds. I think that's too heavy for very much one-handed use. The screen resolution seemed pretty clear, but the font was soooo tiny. I could never read on that or use it for more than 5 minutes before I would have a headache. The font size is probably adjustable, though. 

Anyway, I will ask her what she thinks about it!

I'm interested in a Windows tablet which cannot run RT. So, I seen the Dell Venue Pro 8 and love it. My only question is, who here has one? What are your pro's and con's?

I need it for simple things when I travel; must have a USB port (which Dell Venue Pro 8 doesn't, it's only for charging), support keyboard and mouse.

But, when I'm at home, all I need is a USB port; occasionally.

I got one of these for my mom. I'm fairly sure the micro USB port functions like a normal USB port in addition to being a charge port. It's the Dell Venue 11 Pro that has a micro USB port only for charging. It's a decent Win8.1 tablet.

I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 that was a gift from Santa.  He left me the microusb to full size usb adapter, so I can hook up external devices.  I use Bluetooth devices and haven't had a need for the full size USB at this time.  I also purchased the stylus which works "OK".  Nothing special, in my opinion.  For what I need, web browsing, listening to Pandora, it really works well.  I added a 64GB microsd card to have additional storage, but I haven't use the 64G of internal storage yet.  I have a laptop that I use if I really need to work.

• Like 2

I have a Dell Venue Pro 8 that was a gift from Santa.  He left me the microusb to full size usb adapter, so I can hook up external devices.  I use Bluetooth devices and haven't had a need for the full size USB at this time.  I also purchased the stylus which works "OK".  Nothing special, in my opinion.  For what I need, web browsing, listening to Pandora, it really works well.  I added a 64GB microsd card to have additional storage, but I haven't use the 64G of internal storage yet.  I have a laptop that I use if I really need to work.

Can you show me your set up for it please? I want to be confident knowing I can hook up USB devices to it. I need a CAC reader to plug into it.

My friend has one - recommended it over the Nexus 7 since it was about $20 more. The only thing is they fudge the storage capacity numbers - 32 GB was really 16 GB internal, and they wanted him to add an microSD card. Otherwise nice device - comes with Office, and OTG USB cable works. 

Attached are pics of the venue in my rugged case, with the stylus and usb to Ethernet adapter on the left side.  The micro usb to full size USB I have plugged in to show what is look like.  All my accessories I purchased directly from Dell.com (except mouse)

Hope this helps.

post-187215-0-72258300-1389980161.jpg

post-187215-0-23835600-1389980171.jpg

• Like 2

My friend has one - recommended it over the Nexus 7 since it was about $20 more. The only thing is they fudge the storage capacity numbers - 32 GB was really 16 GB internal, and they wanted him to add an microSD card. Otherwise nice device - comes with Office, and OTG USB cable works. 

I have an iPad Mini, and I was going to get the Nexus 7. But, decided since I have the Nexus 5, why not get a Windows tablet. I don't want to be stuck to 1 OS anymore. So, thank you!

Attached are pics of the venue in my rugged case, with the stylus and usb to Ethernet adapter on the left side.  The micro usb to full size USB I have plugged in to show what is look like.  All my accessories I purchased directly from Dell.com (except mouse)

Hope this helps.

Yes that helps a lot! I also found this video which makes it even more exciting!

Does that mouse need a bluetooth USB or does the Venue detect it? I have that keyboard, and a magic mouse for when I had BTC Trackpad for the iPad Mini.

My sister got one a few weeks ago, she loves it a lot.  She's not computer savvy in the least bit but has seemed to figure out everything on her own after very minor help from me.

I have a Venue Pro 8. It's a tiny powerhouse of awesome.

Pros:

I leave the laptop at home so much, my next big computer might be a desktop.

Full desktop class browser on a tablet.

Runs legacy apps.

Can use USB devices with an OTG cable.

Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard turns it into a mini-laptop.

Crisp and clear screen.

Cons:

Pen is okay, not great

32GB version fills up too fast, wish I bought 64, but I got this for $220, so I'm not upset.

Not a lot of touch friendly apps, but enough to get around.

It's not 1080P, I don't really care that much though, it looks as almost good as my NookHD+.

It's a 8/10 for me until I factor in the price, then it's a 9/10, and my android tablets are getting sold.

I have a Venue Pro 8. It's a tiny powerhouse of awesome.

Pros:

I leave the laptop at home so much, my next big computer might be a desktop.

Full desktop class browser on a tablet.

Runs legacy apps.

Can use USB devices with an OTG cable.

Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard turns it into a mini-laptop.

Crisp and clear screen.

Cons:

Pen is okay, not great

32GB version fills up too fast, wish I bought 64, but I got this for $220, so I'm not upset.

Not a lot of touch friendly apps, but enough to get around.

It's not 1080P, I don't really care that much though, it looks as almost good as my NookHD+.

It's a 8/10 for me until I factor in the price, then it's a 9/10, and my android tablets are getting sold.

I use my iPad Mini to scan paperwork into a PDF and then sign my signatures and what not. Can I do that on this? Is there a PDF creator?

I use my iPad Mini to scan paperwork into a PDF and then sign my signatures and what not. Can I do that on this? Is there a PDF creator?

A quick search found a few in the Windows store. Add that to whatever PDF managers that have been around in Windows for the past few decades. You could also do it manually by taking a picture and using any free convert to PDF.

I can't say anything about the Venue 8, bought 4 of the Venue 7" Android ones, 1 was dead right out of box with a screen that would brighten slowly until all white, others working fine still. I fear the quality may not be the best.

Well right now I have an issue. I bought a micro USB to USB adapter, well it's a hub and it's not working.

Anyone know if the Samsung Micro USB to adapter (which states for mobile phones and devices) would power a external device?

I only had it in my hands for a minute when I set up the wifi for her. It feels like a nice piece of hardware. It's about 4-5 pounds. I think that's too heavy for very much one-handed use.

Uh, 4-5 pounds would be too heavy for even a 13" Ultrabook. Are you sure you have your units straight?

Turns out I might have a faulty Dell tablet. Went to go charge it which uses the micro USB port and it's not charging.

Sounds like it. I had my hands on a DV8P for about a week before I shipped it off as a gift, and it worked great with a USB-to-go adapter and travel hub. I plugged in a USB mouse nano receiver and USB keyboard to the USB hub, and it worked like a champ.

Any of you try to run a android emulator on top of the Venue Pro?  I want an 8.1 tablet (8 or 11 is debatable), I've seen youtube videos of people playing full windows games (WoW, LoL, Sim City, etc) on it, which seems kinda interesting.Bbut I also want the ability to get a few of the free games from google play to run on it for my kids to play...

(Free angry birds, free tiny tower, free cartoon wars, etc)

anyone test Genymotion  or  Bluestacks on one of these?

I just watched a video review on this. Here is the link: http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/103

My wife just bought one of these at Costco last night. This is her first experience with a tablet and with Windows 8 (she has a Nexus 4). She got it to use at school for reading e-textbooks and taking notes in class. She wanted/needed MS Office, so Win tabs were her only option. She was disappointed it didn't come with a stylus, even though one is pictured on the box. 

I only had it in my hands for a minute when I set up the wifi for her. It feels like a nice piece of hardware. It's about 4-5 pounds. I think that's too heavy for very much one-handed use. The screen resolution seemed pretty clear, but the font was soooo tiny. I could never read on that or use it for more than 5 minutes before I would have a headache. The font size is probably adjustable, though. 

Anyway, I will ask her what she thinks about it!

The V8P is not any where close to 5lb. In fact according to the specs its actually less than 1LB (0.87LBs). It's not much heavier than the newest gen iPad mini, and is more than capable of being held in one hand.

Any of you try to run a android emulator on top of the Venue Pro?  I want an 8.1 tablet (8 or 11 is debatable), I've seen youtube videos of people playing full windows games (WoW, LoL, Sim City, etc) on it, which seems kinda interesting.Bbut I also want the ability to get a few of the free games from google play to run on it for my kids to play...

(Free angry birds, free tiny tower, free cartoon wars, etc)

anyone test Genymotion  or  Bluestacks on one of these?

How do I know if I bought an on the go adapter? The USB hub I bought had the micro USB plug in then 3 USB ports.