xbox one npd

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:19

If the account location doesn't match the credit cards location then you can't buy stuff with that card, that's how it's been with the 360. It shouldn't have anything to do with where the xb1 was bought but the account you use itself. 

What they could mean is that you can't buy anything with a account/credit card that's located in a country that hasn't officially launched the Xbox One yet.

Exactly, MS gave some guidance on this a while back.

Basically, if your in a country without official support and you import the console, you will also need to use a payment source that also originates in the country you bought the X1 from.

So that means if you import a console, you will also want to buy XBL cash cards from the same place, that way you can pay with the cards without any issue.

Once the X1 does release in your region, you can switch over to payments sources in your own country.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:21

so just the card/payment, your account an still be set to your local region ?

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 January 2014 - 22:35

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't go through a generation with that kind of headache. Sure you'd get into routine of buying abroad, but it's unnecessary.

Patience pays off.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 23:06

I would'nt but if it only affects payment and I can use my Norwegian card once it launches I'm ok. 

some claimed that you could just input any US area code and use your Norwegian card and it'd work as well. If I need to change the location of my account though, not worth it. 

#20 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 17 January 2014 - 23:20

From what I know your console locale shouldn't matter but it's all about your account locale.  I know that the pre-paid cards you can buy are basically "EU region" cards, that's how it's been for me. What that means is that they cover the whole EU and are not specific to one EU country and not another.  So, you do get live in Norway right? So as long as you can add money into your live account you should be able to buy stuff for the XB1.

MS did make a official post about importing a console and how it'd work, worth a search to find and read it. I also think they made changing your locale easy now.

#21 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 January 2014 - 23:30

Xbox owns the US market, I don't see that changing anytime soon and I would never want it to either. Congrats to MS for a nice rollout of the Xbox One and the continued success of the 360!

The PS4 has sold more units in the US at this stage, but it was also released in the US a week earlier than the Xbox One.

The One was made in China?.... :|

My 360, I think it says made in Mexico... :huh:

Yes, Xbox One is made in China. PS4 is made in Japan and China.

Does anyone know how it works if I buy a european Xbox One from Norway. I know the games are multiplatform and such. But according to some comments I've seen, they claim I won't be able to buy games online or addons online with a Norwegian credit card and/or account with a European box. 

some say you can just pretend the card isn't Norwegian by setting the card location as a random adress somewhere else, but does that mean I'll have to use use a new XBL account with a new location to... If so I'll jut skip "importing" and wait for official launch, whenever that is. 

Credit Cards don't have locality information, nor have I ever bought something online with a credit card where it has asked me for location the credit card was issued.

You can buy games via the store from an imported console into Norway, its all to do with your Live or PS (PS Users) account.  You can even buy games if you travel overseas with a Norway set account but you will be buying from the Norway (EU) store.

The issues with imported consoles is with the blu-ray player, blu-ray disks are region locked and if you import from the US you can only watch blu-ray movies which are US region locked or region-free (pirated blu-rays).

Another thing which might be an issue is the PAL vs NTSC, depending on where you buy it from it may not be fully compatible with your audio / visual setup (tv, amplifiers, etc).

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 23:38

The PS4 has sold more units in the US at this stage, but it was also released in the US a week earlier than the Xbox One.

Yes, Xbox One is made in China. PS4 is made in Japan and China.

Credit Cards don't have locality information, nor have I ever bought something online with a credit card where it has asked me for location the credit card was issued.

You can buy games via the store from an imported console into Norway, its all to do with your Live or PS (PS Users) account.  You can even buy games if you travel overseas with a Norway set account but you will be buying from the Norway (EU) store.

The issues with imported consoles is with the blu-ray player, blu-ray disks are region locked and if you import from the US you can only watch blu-ray movies which are US region locked or region-free (pirated blu-rays).

Another thing which might be an issue is the PAL vs NTSC, depending on where you buy it from it may not be fully compatible with your audio / visual setup (tv, amplifiers, etc).

No actually credits cards have location info on them. thoguh some of them less so than others, hence why on some cards you can just input a area code from a launch country when you fill in your credit card details. apparently from what I'm reading they don't care about the location of your Live account, unless the content specifically restricted form that region, but that's something else, but you have to pay with a credit card from a country it's launched in. or rather your credit card details need to say you are, and on some cards, there's some routines that will inform them if the area code/country is wrong. 

Hence why using American Live accounts in the past to get restricted content even with a VPN wasn't quite as straight forward, you also needed to buy prepaid cards form the US to fill up your account. 

#23 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 January 2014 - 00:48

He was talking about the X1 and 360 combined I think.

As far as the X1 specifically, looks like Sony sold more in November, while MS sold more in December. As far as total units to date, do we know that figure. We know its 3mil+ for the X1 worldwide and we know 4.2mil for the ps4 worldwide, but I don't think we have region break downs.

Once we know the exact number of ps4s sold in Dec, then we will know for sure.

#24 OP spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 00:51

He was talking about the X1 and 360 combined I think.

As far as the X1 specifically, looks like Sony sold more in November, while MS sold more in December. As far as total units to date, do we know that figure. We know its 3mil+ for the X1 worldwide and we know 4.2mil for the ps4 worldwide, but I don't think we have region break downs.

Once we know the exact number of ps4s sold in Dec, then we will know for sure.

Sony's already elected not to give out that number, and it's solely up to them to do it, so I wouldn't expect to know. It's somewhere between 650k and 900k though :p

#25 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 18 January 2014 - 13:53

Sony's PR is pretty lame not giving out numbers, they are what they are, silly twisting headlines arent going to confuse anyone.

Anyway congrats MS, the biggest fought battle will continue to be the states, pretty obvious now why Sony went all America ###### yeah with the PS4 launch.