Just found out something at my workplace: No paper shredder

Hello,

I was doing a personal phone call at my workplace today and I had to give them some bank details. After printing a paper with the details, I was going to shred it and to my surprise, there is no shredder. Ive never needed it before and I could have sworn I saw a paper shredder once here but it must have been a employee that brought his own.

My question is do your workplaces have paper shredders?

Thanks

No.  We are a major UK law firm, and so we take the disposal of sensitive data VERY seriously.  As such, we have "Shredder bins" which are locked, one-way bins, that at the end of each day an ISO9001 certified contractor shreds for us.

No.  We are a major UK law firm, and so we take the disposal of sensitive data VERY seriously.  As such, we have "Shredder bins" which are locked, one-way bins, that at the end of each day an ISO9001 certified contractor shreds for us.

yup same for us, goes into a secure bin during the day and is shredded after

• Like 2

Exactly the same. Law firm. Bins. Contractor shreddery

• Like 1

Hello,

This is a stupid question but why not a paper shredder that is locked, one-way, and at the end of each day an ISO9001 certified contractor reshreds it?

I work for a document scanning company, so we would rather companies didn't shred their paperwork but rather they send it to us for scanning. :D

Same here, we have about a dozen of these boxes spread across 2 floors in the office I work in, there's also more in the other offices in different cities. About once a week, there's a company that comes to empty them and take them to their truck parked outside where they shred everything right there.

Nope. Instead of wasting paper for trivial shyte we just don't print it in the first place. The rest... well, we sort of wing it and hope nobody notices. We're too insignificant to have any seriously confidential info anyway and if we do, it's way easier and less dignity-hurting to latch onto our computer network than search our trash.

This has got to be one of the more obscure threads on Neowin, but no, we don't have paper shreders. We do have big locked trash bins for confidential material though, as mentioned by others.

Back at NAS Fallon we had a thing called a "pulverizer"  specifically for disposing of classified material. It would reduce paper to the consistency of powdered sugar.

just for fun, you should have switched the powdered jelly donuts with pulverized paper donuts.

Some places have a shred company come by and do the work for them.  Currently at my work, we are scanning in decades of paperwork.  Then the paperwork gets put in a bin and a shred company comes out and shreds everything on site before they are allowed to leave.  We also have personal shredders that can shred CDs/CCs we use from time to time.

Thats what we do.

We used to be the same; we had a ShredIT bin but since being acquired by a bigger company they've deemed that too costly to replaced them all with a massive 4' tall Rexel shredder.

But what about your scanners with internal hard drives that store every document scanned,do you have them encrypted?

I've never heard of a (flat bed certainly not) scanner with a build in HDD, only those which post the file to a central storage repository such as a secure file area on a LAN-based server.