IGN Versus: PS4 vs. Xbox One (People Choice Awards)

Video Link - http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/01/17/xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-the-results-ign-versus

600,000 votes, there you have that niche, but vocal community I've spoke about in here earlier. Wouldn't surprise me if 90% of the voting was done based upon the social mindset as opposed to 600k of people with both consoles to play and experience each before deciding. But hey ho that's what happens when you have the bigger games sites posting polls like this.

Wasn't expecting a landslide; was sure X1 would get the game library and online vote.

Wouldn't say this video (or others similar), really account for anything overall but interesting nonetheless.

Wasn't expecting a landslide; was sure X1 would get the game library and online vote.

Wouldn't say this video (or others similar), really account for anything overall but interesting nonetheless.

IGN is so biased and full of childish Sony fans though so these votes mean nothing in my opinion.

• Like 3

IGN is so biased and full of childish Sony fans though so these votes mean nothing in my opinion.

Just a general question about these kind of observations, would that mean the consensus is NeoGAF, and now IGN, are vastly more populated with Sony fans? Certain Neowin members have been telling us a lot over the past months NeoGAF is a Sony site. If anyone wants to argue this line of thinking true, then where are the MS fans hiding? These are two massive gaming sites, 600k votes is by a polls standard not a drop in the ocean at all, in fact it's a massive number.

Any time someone says something like this I look at two factors

a) Is it a small site? If so, genuine chance it is vastly skewed one way or the other. Small time blogs, sites that cover news mostly from one company, etc, yeah sure, chances are there will be an overwhelming bias.

b) Is it a large site? If so, chances are you simply see vocal outbursts about ****ty decisions, and if your favourite company has just made a load, then that company will be getting blasted, end of. Chances are the actual balance of fans signed up to post/comment/vote is fairly equal, you simply see what you want to see.

And yeah staff members of large sites can have a huge bias, but this is a poll, not a staff editorial.

IGN has always been full of s***. I never liked them. They're biased as hell. How is that so many sites give the Xbox One a higher rating, but apparently the PS4 wins all of a sudden on just 2 sites? lol I'm done.

• Like 3

Well I'm not going to get into that tbh because I have no interest personally and it seems to change day to day and who you ask. When it comes to IGN I know 4chan likes to rig the votes with mass troll voting, but is there any evidence to suggest these results aren't legit to begin with?

Like I said, I don't think these polls hold any value at all, even if the site/users weren't biased.

Well I'm not going to get into that tbh because I have no interest personally and it seems to change day to day and who you ask.

Like I said, I don't think these polls hold any value at all, even if the site/users weren't biased.

This isn't a criticism first off, but to play devils advocate and because I am genuinely interested in what you have to say, if polls hold no value to you what do you feel is the best way to get statistical feedback? Surveys/polls/etc have long been used, is it the sites they're posted on, is it the type of questions or is it simply polls you feel have no value?

Neowin itself runs a constant poll on the front page, and it did recently have an Xbox One/PS4 poll. Can't remember how many people voted, I only know as I believe it was something like 60%+ in favour of the One and people were posting those stats on the forums. Hardly visit the front page myself  :rofl:

Just a general question about these kind of observations, would that mean the consensus is NeoGAF, and now IGN, are vastly more populated with Sony fans? Certain Neowin members have been telling us a lot over the past months NeoGAF is a Sony site. If anyone wants to argue this line of thinking true, then where are the MS fans hiding? These are two massive gaming sites, 600k votes is by a polls standard not a drop in the ocean at all, in fact it's a massive number.

Any time someone says something like this I look at two factors

a) Is it a small site? If so, genuine chance it is vastly skewed one way or the other. Small time blogs, sites that cover new mostly from one company, etc, yeah sure, chances are there will be an overwhelming bias.

b) Is it a large site? If so, chances are you simply see focal outbursts about ****ty decisions, and if your favourite company has just made a load, then that company will be getting blasted, end of. 

And yeah staff members of large sites can have a huge bias, but this is a poll, not a staff editorial.

a person is not exclusive to one site, so there is plenty of overlap.

check out this gsmarena smartphone poll. over 1 million votes to get to the winner.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/smartphone-champions-league-the-winner/

top 3 winners are all windows phones.

what do you think?

People on a Microsoft fansite accusing every other forum under the sun of being Sony biased, cute.

Hey it's the Intel vs AMD/ATI vs NVIDIA forum wars all over again!

It's pretty funny, haven't seen people excited enough about tech to argue stuff in a long time.

This isn't a criticism first off, but to play devils advocate and because I am genuinely interested in what you have to say, if polls hold no value to you what do you feel is the best way to get statistical feedback? Surveys/polls/etc have long been used, is it the sites they're posted on, is it the type of questions or is it simply polls you feel have no value?

Neowin itself runs a constant poll on the front page, and it did recently have an Xbox One/PS4 poll. Can't remember how many people voted, I only know as I believe it was something like 60%+ in favour of the One and people were posting those stats on the forums. Hardly visit the front page myself  :rofl:

Sorry, I should make clear that I don't think polls etc aren't valuable, but when it comes to gaming polls, online especially, they are easily skewed. Maybe they aren't, but that's my impression (like the 4chan example I gave). I don't doubt that Sony would have won this poll if it were conducted offline, but maybe it wouldn't have been unanimous. Who knows.

And again, the Neowin poll is again going to be biased because it is a primary-Microsoft site. In its case I don't think the result was based on troll votes but genuinely more X1 fans voting.

a person is not exclusive to one site, so there is plenty of overlap.

check out this gsmarena smartphone poll. over 1 million votes to get to the winner.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/smartphone-champions-league-the-winner/

top 3 winners are all windows phones.

what do you think?

Seems fair, it's done in stages and all the quarter finals were android vs windows which you'd pretty much expect, and still android prevailing in the semis (more explanation below). Without generalizing out the wazoo I'd say more of the technical minded folk prefer anything > iOS, and most of the dedicated Apple fans have their own sites to visit as opposed to mobile sites that cover all devices. It's well researched that there is something to the "cult of Apple" mindset, and to be fair that being in Apple's favour for creating such a popular brand.

Not to mention the amount of android/windows devices vs Apple who release one flagship iPhone device. There's 32 devices and of them, 2 Apple?

That means the final was statistically most likely going to end up Android vs Android, Windows vs Windows or Android vs Windows.

This is a far more complex poll than product a vs product b, so overall I'm not really sure if you just wanted my opinion or for me to try and compare it to this poll, which if the latter as I've just said it's nowhere near as simple as two products facing it off. I've heard of GSMArena, therefore know it's not exactly a small site, so overall as I've already said I don't see much wrong here. Oh and for the record, I'm an Android guy.

Video Link - http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/01/17/xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-the-results-ign-versus

600,000 votes, there you have that niche, but vocal community I've spoke about in here earlier. Wouldn't surprise me if 90% of the voting was done based upon the social mindset as opposed to 600k of people with both consoles to play and experience each before deciding. But hey ho that's what happens when you have the bigger games sites posting polls like this.

So where in the original article did they use Xbone... ? because I only see Xbox One in the title of their article..

So where in the original article did they use Xbone... ? because I only see Xbox One in the title of their article..

Title was copied from GAF, Andy can correct it. No upset was intended, and to be honest until you pointed it out I didn't even register it saying Xbone. I wouldn't normally of said that, I think Xbone is a pretty stupid term. But of course please post a roll eyes smiley or tell me I'm lying, rather than just reporting the post for a title correction... Proof for you anyway - http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753074

Not sure this is massively relative to the poll but it certainly opened my eyes to a shift in thinking from some. Now i don`t really care, Xbox One, PS4, they`re both good consoles and both will have good and not so good points.

Anyway, i was talking to a builder i know about Christmas and asked him what he`d got his youngish lad for Christmas. Now this lad is 17 years old and has pretty much allways used the Xbox 360 and Microsoft ecosystem for gaming and watching movies (iv`e done a few multi player sessions with him).

So the guy got him an Xbox One for his pressie hoping he`d be chuffed to bits, but no, he turned his nose up at that because all the guys from school (6th form) were now using PS4`s. So he ended up getting shot of the One and getting the lad a PS4!

Is this just an isolated incident or is this something of a general trend? Personally i don`t know but i have seen similar instances played out whereby because the first few people got a PS4 that means the rest follow because they want to play online with them. I`m sure the complete opposite has happened in many places just iv`e not come accross it....

Both consoles are winners and losers :p 

Seems fair, it's done in stages and all the quarter finals were android vs windows which you'd pretty much expect, and still android in the semis (more explanation below). Without generalizing out the wazoo I'd say more of the technical minded folk prefer anything > iOS, and most of the dedicated Apple fans have their own sites to visit as opposed to mobile sites that cover all devices.

Not to mention the amount of android/windows devices vs Apple who release one flagship iPhone device. There's 32 devices and of them, 2 Apple?

That means the final was statistically most likely going to end up Android vs Android, Windows vs Windows or Android vs Windows.

This is a far more complex poll than product a vs product b, so overall I'm not really sure if you just wanted my opinion or for me to try and compare it to this poll, which if the latter as I've just said it's nowhere near as simple as two products facing it off.

just look at each round. the polling doesn't correlate with market realities. that's all im saying. these internet polls are not indicative of the market. its a group of fans voting.

• Like 2

People on a Microsoft fansite accusing every other forum under the sun of being Sony biased, cute.

No, seriously, look at the comments on any IGN Xbox article. It's an Xbox bash fest every time. That's representative of the IGN population. Same goes for NeoGAF.

I think Xbox fans are too busy actually playing games to go trolling around as much as the readers on IGN and NeoGAF. If these internet surveys were indicative of the general population's feelings toward the Xbox, how would it have sold 3 million+ units and outsold the PS4 last month in the US?

• Like 1

just look at each round. the polling doesn't correlate with market realities. that's all im saying. these internet polls are not indicative of the market. its a group of fans voting.

Fair point, and that can happen. For now however the actual market (I assume you are basing that off hardware sales?) is reflecting the poll.

The market is indicating that both are selling well, the difference in overall numbers at this point has other factors behind it, so not really apples to apples right now. The only clear indication the market has given us is that the Wii U is bombing.

No, seriously, look at the comments on any IGN Xbox article. It's an Xbox bash fest every time. That's representative of the IGN population. Same goes for NeoGAF.

I think Xbox fans are too busy actually playing games to go trolling around as much as the readers on IGN and NeoGAF. If these internet surveys were indicative of the general population's feelings toward the Xbox, how would it have sold 3 million+ units and outsold the PS4 last month in the US?

That's just a silly suggestion.

That's just a silly suggestion.

Not disagreeing because there are trolls on both sides, but hasn't that actually been supported by data during the last 8 years? Xbox owners buy more games and spend more time playing them.

Not disagreeing because there are trolls on both sides, but hasn't that actually been supported by data during the last 8 years? Xbox owners buy more games and spend more time playing them.

I remember the 360 having the best attach rate for many years (I don't know if that continued), but I don't recall anything about time spent gaming.

Didn't news report it dropped when apps like Netflix were introduced and it was split 50/50 between VOD and gaming?

Neither has a impressive game library. I can honestly say out of the currently available exclusives for each console I only have interest in one game 'Warframe'. The other games I'm interested in are multi-platform or haven't been released yet. So Sony would win my vote for games also. (This is just game taste)

Online, Sony has vastly improved from the PS3 days. Xbox One is the same as the X360 Network. They both have had congestion issues and maintenance breaks but X1 has some connectivity issues with some ISP's and I have seen various people post about issues with the WiFi and online streaming on the Xbox One.

IGN www.ign.com 
Global rank 332
Rank in the United States 193  

IGN is huge, It gets around 1.7 Million unique visitors a day so if its biased than that must mean a large percentage of the online gaming community is also biased towards the PS4 then.
Give you a scope of how big IGN is: http://ign.com.visualizetraffic.com/

lol, so true.

Not sure this is massively relative to the poll but it certainly opened my eyes to a shift in thinking from some. Now i don`t really care, Xbox One, PS4, they`re both good consoles and both will have good and not so good points.

Anyway, i was talking to a builder i know about Christmas and asked him what he`d got his youngish lad for Christmas. Now this lad is 17 years old and has pretty much allways used the Xbox 360 and Microsoft ecosystem for gaming and watching movies (iv`e done a few multi player sessions with him).

So the guy got him an Xbox One for his pressie hoping he`d be chuffed to bits, but no, he turned his nose up at that because all the guys from school (6th form) were now using PS4`s. So he ended up getting shot of the One and getting the lad a PS4!

Is this just an isolated incident or is this something of a general trend? Personally i don`t know but i have seen similar instances played out whereby because the first few people got a PS4 that means the rest follow because they want to play online with them. I`m sure the complete opposite has happened in many places just iv`e not come accross it....

Both consoles are winners and losers :p

I've personally noticed a similar thing, I think its a general trend PS4 seems to be the 'it' console. On facebook I see lots of posts about people wanting a PS4 but can't get one due to nil/low stock, then someone would mockingly write 'Why not get an Xbox, its got heaps of those in stock. lol' or something similar and becomes a running joke on how unpopular the Xbox is compared to the PS4. I've even seen posts from people who work for Australian government departments who were given free Xbox Ones from Microsoft and were asking if people wanted it to swap for a PS4. I thought it was stupid that they were ungrateful for the free consoles but it did cement the fact that the Xbox One is seen as uncool and mocking it seems to be the 'cool' thing to do these days. Both have great new features and are good in their own right. I personally prefer the PS4, but I wouldn't complain about getting a free Xbox One (nor would I shame the company that gave me free stuff for likes on facebook)

Neither has a impressive game library. I can honestly say out of the currently available exclusives for each console I only have interest in one game 'Warframe'. The other games I'm interested in are multi-platform or haven't been released yet. So Sony would win my vote for games also. (This is just game taste)

Online, Sony has vastly improved from the PS3 days. Xbox One is the same as the X360 Network. They both have had congestion issues and maintenance breaks but X1 has some connectivity issues with some ISP's and I have seen various people post about issues with the WiFi and online streaming on the Xbox One.

Agree on the game library comment, but from what I've read across the internet and know from friends etc, is they think the X1 has the strongest library. Was just surprised that the PS4 won the category. I'm not sure if they're counting only what is available today or what's coming, so maybe that influenced votes too.

As for online, I only had trouble with PSN during both launches. It was impossible to sign in for me. Obviously subjective and some are going to have bad set ups or they think it's network issues when introducing new hardware in the home. I didn't have any problems with XBL personally. Even the OS updates (at launch & when I got my final console in late December), and game patches were pretty quick. Sony have improved their network, but I don't think they were prepared for the influx of new users. Which is understandable IMO. It was probably a good thing supply was limited or who knows how long the troubles could have lasted or what else they'd have to disable to allow people just to connect.

AFAIK, 360 still uses the same 3000 (or is it 5000?) servers it always did. X1 is completely separate and making use of the 300K servers.

IGN is huge, It gets around 1.7 Million unique visitors a day so if its biased than that must mean a large percentage of the online gaming community is also biased towards the PS4 then.

Give you a scope of how big IGN is: http://ign.com.visualizetraffic.com/

I go to ign all the time,but every time I read the comments, I feel as though i'm retarded.

• Like 2