• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• 4,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:43

Here is the article from TWICE : http://www.twice.com...-ray-way/109597

The very high data-storage and transfer-rate requirements of 4K/UHD – four times the spatial resolution of 1080p HDTV – means that optical discs will once again be the most practical way to move all that data around in a very convenient way. Blu-ray had a tremendous impact on HDTV adoption, and we think it will offer the same push for UHD adoption.

I know that streaming GOOD quality 4K content is going to kill many users with most ISP having bandwidth limitation, download caps.

Streaming, even in supposed HD, is far from the quality you get from a Blu-Ray.  The compression level is so high, it often ruins the "HD" experience.  I've tried "HD" from Apple, MS and Netflix and it pales (sucks!) in comparison to Blu-Ray.  To me, it's worst than saying that a 128kbit MP3 is just as good as a CD.

#2 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• 5,284 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:02

i am just wondering if current blu-ray players  least once from  late 2012 and up would be able to be updated  to support  BD 4k  movies  even tho at this moment most of us only have  1080p sets  but it be nice to know or if they plan to just make new players  

#3 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,051 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:12

Title needs to rhyme more ;)

i am just wondering if current blu-ray players  least once from  late 2012 and up would be able to be updated  to support  BD 4k  movies  even tho at this moment most of us only have  1080p sets  but it be nice to know or if they plan to just make new players  

I thought HDMI couldn't support more than 1080p?

I could see that being a rather large barricade for something like that.

#4 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:15

I doubt it. They have to modify the current Blu-ray spec to do 4K, and I don't see how they are going to do it without going to triple+ layer discs.

#5 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 7,041 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:16

This is why we have HDMI versions like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc

#6 jkenn99

jkenn99

Neowinian

• 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:20

It depends on what codec they decide to use. They will likely be switching to a more efficient codec which will mean needing new hardware decoders in players.

#7 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,051 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:24

This is why we have HDMI versions like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc

Gotcha.

I take it that is not firmware upgradeable?

#8 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,228 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:28

Here is the article from TWICE : http://www.twice.com...-ray-way/109597

I know that streaming GOOD quality 4K content is going to kill many users with most ISP having bandwidth limitation, download caps.

Streaming, even in supposed HD, is far from the quality you get from a Blu-Ray.  The compression level is so high, it often ruins the "HD" experience.  I've tried "HD" from Apple, MS and Netflix and it pales (sucks!) in comparison to Blu-Ray.  To me, it's worst than saying that a 128kbit MP3 is just as good as a CD.

Hum I streamed a 1080p movie from Youtube and to me it was a lot closer to a blu ray than a 128kbit mp3 is to a cd.

128kbit is bearable only if you have a sucky sound system. On a good quality sound system it sounds like a gull crying. 1080p streaming while not as great as a blue ray is at least bearable even on a good display. Often I find 1080p streaming actually better than some HDTV channels.

Gotcha.

I take it that is not firmware upgradeable?

nope

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:31

single link can't do more, well actually I think it can slightly, but I think dual link would be able to. 

I doubt it. They have to modify the current Blu-ray spec to do 4K, and I don't see how they are going to do it without going to triple+ layer discs.

Well, unless you count in the new codec they are using for 4K on BD. allowing 4k with the same quality and size as a 1080 BD movie, supposedly. 

#10 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

• 2,960 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:37

you may be interested in this article. highlights are that even comcast can actually offer you ~gigabit. they just don't cause it's costly and the demand isn't there. 

http://arstechnica.c...gabit-internet/

I think comcast demonstrated this 2 years ago. if you do the math, streaming 4k is possible with gigabit. 

#11 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• 5,284 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:38

i would assume  tho that  what will happen if they used the current codecs that  BD disc  size would go up due to the amount of storage needed for the  4k video  and for all the  BD features to stay along with this. 

#12 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,322 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:44

4K Blu-ray is currently just a marketing gimmick, much like 3D, and will probably stay that way for the next 10 years. You will not be able to notice the difference between it and a good 1080p transfer unless you have a 65+ inch screen, and even then you must know what specifically to look for.

#13 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,110 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:48

4K Blu-ray is currently just a marketing gimmick, much like 3D, and will probably stay that way for the next 10 years. You will not be able to notice the difference between it and a good 1080p transfer unless you have a 65+ inch screen, and even then you must know what specifically to look for.

I agree, 4K resolution seems really stupid and pointless for a home television. They're just taking advantage of naive consumers at this point.

#14 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:51

Yeah that's about how I feel too. Maybe if I had a 4K projector and 12+ foot screen it would be worth it.

#15 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• 3,322 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:55

Yeah that's about how I feel too. Maybe if I had a 4K projector and 12+ foot screen it would be worth it.

Just save up and buy your own IMAX theater. 4K Blu-ray is quickly becoming "audiophile grade" territory for video. This is quite glaring in movies like 28 Days Later.