4K Ultra HD Blu-ray On The Way

At my Best Buy, they had a Sony 4K TV with the 4K player from Sony and next to it, a Sony HDTV and man, I could tel the difference.  Both TV were of the same size and the picture quality of the 4K movie was outstanding.

So, if they can put that same quality in the new Blu-Ray format (probably going to use BD-XL 120Gb) it's going to be amazing.

I hate streaming...  And I'm on an unlimited plan.

I bet we will still have 4k @ ~24fps instead of ~60 to ~120

Well yes since we have 90 and counting years of films that were shot at 24 fps to release. Not sure why anyone would want a bunch of extra frames interpolated in there just for the sake of numbers.

This is why we have HDMI versions like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc

This is very true.  Any Blu-Ray Player and TV supporting HDMI 1.4 can do 4K at 30fps which is sufficient for how movies today are currently handled.  HDMI 2 will bring 4K at 60FPS which would be more ideal for gaming if hardware can handle rendering that resolution.

Remeber tho also that with the jump from  SD content  DVDs and such to HD content and Blu-rays  we saw not justa jump in resolution to 1080p  but we also saw a jump in color accuracies  and high dynamic range and just pure color  quality improvements  so with the jump from HD to UHD same will happen  not just upgrade  in resolution but also  in Color and other things more accurate  more natural pallet of colors and light ranges  

Everytime I see a 60inch+ 1080p HDTV in action a little voice in my head tells me that 1080p aint enough for those big HDTVs. Mine is smaller but when i'll change (not before lot of years probably) it wont be over 50 inch unless it's 4k.

4K Blu-ray is currently just a marketing gimmick, much like 3D, and will probably stay that way for the next 10 years. You will not be able to notice the difference between it and a good 1080p transfer unless you have a 65+ inch screen, and even then you must know what specifically to look for.

I could tell the difference easy if I had a 4k projector for my 140-150 inch screen instead of the 1080 one, it gets a bit pixely :p

I have some gold plated cables that I could sell them. They improve the flow of 1's and 0's, upgrading the digital signal to legitimate 4K. 4REAL :shifty:

Although high end cables are a myth, I had to give up the cheap cable for my 15 m cable after two cables who give flashing pixels on the screen, like a starfield. had to go for a somewhat more expensive one, though at 1350NOK for 15 meters it's not terrible, I mean I've seen cables costing twice that for a single meter so :p

^^^ This most definitely. While dvd to blue is a nice bump in quality its not that huge nor will 1080 p to 4k be that different. Maybe for gaming you would notice but not for movies.

Seriously ? 

I could tell the difference easy if I had a 4k projector for my 140-150 inch screen instead of the 1080 one, it gets a bit pixely :p

The average person doesn't have a 150" projector screen though!

I think 4K is going to go the same as 3D. Ridiculously expensive and low adoption, until it just becomes "the standard".

Although high end cables are a myth, I had to give up the cheap cable for my 15 m cable after two cables who give flashing pixels on the screen, like a starfield. had to go for a somewhat more expensive one, though at 1350NOK for 15 meters it's not terrible, I mean I've seen cables costing twice that for a single meter so :p

Yep, best bet with cables is always "somewhere in the middle". yes, they all carry a digital signal so you don't need ?200 ultra thick cables from Monster, etc. But the ?3 or so HDMI cables are crap. Most have very poor connections internally. I always tend to get middle of the road ones - with the exception of the HDMI cable between my TV and Receiver, which I spent a few extra ? on since it's in a wall and therefore would be a complete pain to replace!

While over priced (atm) how can you say its a gimmick.  Just head to any Best Buy with a magnolia section and you can see the Sony 4k TV demoing the 4k movies they have.  The picture quality is better... I was impressed with the pq but it wasnt enough for me to spend the $5k on.  So while I agree a larger screen is needed, that doesnt make it a gimmick. (I disagree with your opinion on 3d as well but thats for a different topic). 

3D can be nice, if you have a big projector screen, on TV's I've yet to see a good result though. problem is that a lot of movies overdo the effect and stuff that moves close to the camera don't work, they literally fall apart as the separation gets to much. usually a problem with 3D movies where they can get the camera and separation a lot more extreme. 

Yeah that's about how I feel too. Maybe if I had a 4K projector and 12+ foot screen it would be worth it.

I agree too, 4k is useless on the TV sizes people have at home. Projectors yes it makes a HUGE difference especially at the Cinema 4k is amazing and perfectly clear quality in comparison to to 1080p, hell i'd be happy when they do 6k in the Cinema that would be brilliant!

I'm sorry, but I heard this same excuse in the late 90's when HD was starting to come around... "Who would ever need 1920x1080, 720x480 is good enough" too "I can't see a difference between SD and HD".... I saw a 4K TV in person the other day, and it is drastically clearer then a 1080p screen at the same size (55")

I don't recall anyone EVER saying that. 

high framerate is where 4K will matter anyway though. with high framerate each frame is ###### in half or even less the time they're being shot at in 24 fps. that means each frame is a lot sharper with less blur to the picture. While 1080p will still show HFR sharper, when you compare HFR 1080 with HFR 4k it's where you'll see a real difference, mainly on bigger 50-55 and up screens though. 

I know people who still claim they can't see a difference between SD and HD.

Have they considered and optometrist ? 

Remember Beta?  VHS? S-VHS?  LaserDisc?  CED?  D-VHS?  HD-DVD?

Can't stop progress.  It's for the best.  Bring on 4K Blu-Ray!

So yeah, all those movies were originally recorded on something. I think they used to call it film. That must be like infinite resolution if we're still seeing improvements as they get transferred to these new formats and we buy our collections over and over again.

So yeah, all those movies were originally recorded on something. I think they used to call it film. That must be like infinite resolution if we're still seeing improvements as they get transferred to these new formats and we buy our collections over and over again.

Not infinite, but close to 4k in natural resolution, but due to the way light interacts with film it won't be quite that sharp. However, the framerate is still 24 and that they can't do anything about. not without a big ass AI controlled CGI farm ;)

I want to go to there :|

35mm film has a massive resolution, around 6K. I think they'll stop popping them out when 8K comes out. And then there will be 8K IMAX transfer Blu-rays.

Sometimes studios go overboard on the digital corrections. Other times the film has degraded to a point where an HD transfer cannot improve on it, only reliably translate what is there to see. Such is the case with The Godafather Part II Blu-ray. Some scenes in the film are extra grainy due to it being the intended look for the scene. How is a 4K Blu-ray going to improve on that without going totally overboard with digital corrections? I think it will just exacerbate it by trying to put details on the screen that just aren't there.

high framerate is where 4K will matter anyway though. with high framerate each frame is **** in half or even less the time they're being shot at in 24 fps. that means each frame is a lot sharper with less blur to the picture. While 1080p will still show HFR sharper, when you compare HFR 1080 with HFR 4k it's where you'll see a real difference, mainly on bigger 50-55 and up screens though. 

Have they considered and optometrist ? 

No they're just crotchety old folks who stubbornly refuse to admit they see a difference to they can go on proclaiming HD is just a scam to get people to buy new equipment and that their 19" Zenith they've had since 1989 looks just as good as anything out today.

35mm film has a massive resolution, around 6K. If think they'll stop popping them out when 8K comes out. And then there will be 8K IMAX transfer Blu-rays.

Sometimes studios go overboard on the digital corrections. Other times the film has degraded to a point where an HD transfer cannot improve on it, only reliably translate what is there to see. Such is the case with The Godafather Part II Blu-ray. Some scenes in the film are extra grainy due to it being the intended look for the scene. How is a 4K Blu-ray going to improve on that without going totally overboard with digital corrections? I think it will just exacerbate it by trying to put details on the screen that just aren't there.

There's also issues with high iso low light film. 

really? because I STILL hear old people say they can't see a difference to this day!

Probably have no interest in it. I wouldn't trade my Blu-ray collection for DVD versions, that's for sure.