• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:35

pS6Gd5v.png

6oI0g.png

You can view the proof here, I'm on the mobile and can't copy formatting correctly
http://m.neogaf.com/...t=753566&page=1

Seems they just want the bad PR to keep coming :/

#2 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:48

I don't see this any different than popular websites pinning ads that promote the console. Do people give IGN or whatever crap for having ads promoting a certain console?

#3 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:50

:no:

Won't be winning anyone over with this IMO

#4 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:52

we used to call that "gaming the system" on the old mp3 dot com ha ha ... cant see it doing any good, inticing individuals to chase stats...

#5 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:54

pS6Gd5v.png

6oI0g.png

You can view the proof here, I'm on the mobile and can't copy formatting correctly
http://m.neogaf.com/...t=753566&page=1

Seems they just want the bad PR to keep coming :/

Bad PR? Its called paid advertising. Nothing new to see here unless you're just trying to make something of nothing.

#6 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:57

Great Scott! One of my videos has 6.8 million views as of this point. 

#7 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 January 2014 - 14:57

I guess this is industry standard advertizing practise. I don't see anything wrong here. I also read in the same NeoGAF thread that the amount is capped at $3-4000. That's nothing.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 January 2014 - 15:02

so paying for advertising is bad now ?  :rolleyes:

#9 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 18 January 2014 - 16:53

MS has their own official YT channel, they have marketing and PR for TV/Magazines/Radio/etc, and sure they can strike up advertising deals with IGN/Gamespot and the likes. However going after popular YTers by essentially "bribing with money" to promote the One is really really low. "Promote" our console does not scream to me "give your unbiased and well researched feedback". 

The whole point of YT when it comes to individuals or small time bloggers is to get critical feedback, "unbiased" opinions and if something is good you will get your PR/advertising naturally through praise/recommendations.

Anyone who does not see this as shady really does have the corporate glasses on a little too tight, but it's the YTers who have to bite and you can bet anyone who clearly sells themselves out will get a right hard time from their viewers.

#10 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 17:54

MS has their own official YT channel, they have marketing and PR for TV/Magazines/Radio/etc, and sure they can strike up advertising deals with IGN/Gamespot and the likes. However going after popular YTers by essentially "bribing with money" to promote the One is really really low. "Promote" our console does not scream to me "give your unbiased and well researched feedback".

The whole point of YT when it comes to individuals or small time bloggers is to get critical feedback, "unbiased" opinions and if something is good you will get your PR/advertising naturally through praise/recommendations.

Anyone who does not see this as shady really does have the corporate glasses on a little too tight, but it's the YTers who have to bite and you can bet anyone who clearly sells themselves out will get a right hard time from their viewers.

You're the only one with shades on if you think this is anything other than typical paid advertising.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:45

Bloggers and vloggers have been getting paid for product placement and marketing since they started blogging, in Norway they actually have laws stating that bloggers who post about products where they have been given the product or sponsored, have to inform about it, or they get fined. 

This just levels the playing field letting everyone not just the big players get paid for what they would normally do otherwise. There's is nothing shady about this. and also your definition of what youtube is for, is extremely narrow and not at all true. for some it's true but for a lot, it's not. 

Most of this hate comes from a simple fact, the PS4 fans/bloggers are merely jealous that sony aren't paying them like MS pays their fans. sour grapes. Since most of the world don't have Norwegian product sponsoring regulations, a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the products the bloggers and vloggers test and brag about on their logs are sponsored or even paid for. 

#12 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:50

Bloggers and vloggers have been getting paid for product placement and marketing since they started blogging, in Norway they actually have laws stating that bloggers who post about products where they have been given the product or sponsored, have to inform about it, or they get fined. 

This just levels the playing field letting everyone not just the big players get paid for what they would normally do otherwise. There's is nothing shady about this. and also your definition of what youtube is for, is extremely narrow and not at all true. for some it's true but for a lot, it's not. 

Most of this hate comes from a simple fact, the PS4 fans/bloggers are merely jealous that sony aren't paying them like MS pays their fans. sour grapes. Since most of the world don't have Norwegian product sponsoring regulations, a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the products the bloggers and vloggers test and brag about on their logs are sponsored or even paid for. 

Proof? Cause I've yet to see any evidence of that.

All I see is people discussing the integritiy of the popular channels / MS and viewers saying they will lose respect for those that give into this scheme.

#13 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:56

same in the U.S as well, its an FTC violation if not disclosed.

The revised Guides also add new examples to illustrate the long standing principle that “material connections” (sometimes payments or free products) between advertisers and endorsers – connections that consumers would not expect – must be disclosed. These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other “word-of-mouth” marketers. The revised Guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service.

http://www.ftc.gov/n...ts-testimonials

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:48

Proof? Cause I've yet to see any evidence of that.

All I see is people discussing the integritiy of the popular channels / MS and viewers saying they will lose respect for those that give into this scheme.

What integrity ? EVERY time a blogger or vlogger talks about a product or shows it off the product as at best been given to them, most likely given to them with a "donation". they just don't tell you. but sure MS is bad for actually saying publically that they will pay for it, even pay per view. 

#15 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:55

Sounds a bit desperate from Microsoft.