Microsoft to offer $3 per 1000 YouTube views if you promote Xbox One?

I guess this is industry standard advertizing practise. I don't see anything wrong here. I also read in the same NeoGAF thread that the amount is capped at $3-4000. That's nothing.

MS has their own official YT channel, they have marketing and PR for TV/Magazines/Radio/etc, and sure they can strike up advertising deals with IGN/Gamespot and the likes. However going after popular YTers by essentially "bribing with money" to promote the One is really really low. "Promote" our console does not scream to me "give your unbiased and well researched feedback". 

The whole point of YT when it comes to individuals or small time bloggers is to get critical feedback, "unbiased" opinions and if something is good you will get your PR/advertising naturally through praise/recommendations.

Anyone who does not see this as shady really does have the corporate glasses on a little too tight, but it's the YTers who have to bite and you can bet anyone who clearly sells themselves out will get a right hard time from their viewers.

• Like 4

MS has their own official YT channel, they have marketing and PR for TV/Magazines/Radio/etc, and sure they can strike up advertising deals with IGN/Gamespot and the likes. However going after popular YTers by essentially "bribing with money" to promote the One is really really low. "Promote" our console does not scream to me "give your unbiased and well researched feedback".

The whole point of YT when it comes to individuals or small time bloggers is to get critical feedback, "unbiased" opinions and if something is good you will get your PR/advertising naturally through praise/recommendations.

Anyone who does not see this as shady really does have the corporate glasses on a little too tight, but it's the YTers who have to bite and you can bet anyone who clearly sells themselves out will get a right hard time from their viewers.

You're the only one with shades on if you think this is anything other than typical paid advertising.

• Like 3

Bloggers and vloggers have been getting paid for product placement and marketing since they started blogging, in Norway they actually have laws stating that bloggers who post about products where they have been given the product or sponsored, have to inform about it, or they get fined. 

This just levels the playing field letting everyone not just the big players get paid for what they would normally do otherwise. There's is nothing shady about this. and also your definition of what youtube is for, is extremely narrow and not at all true. for some it's true but for a lot, it's not. 

Most of this hate comes from a simple fact, the PS4 fans/bloggers are merely jealous that sony aren't paying them like MS pays their fans. sour grapes. Since most of the world don't have Norwegian product sponsoring regulations, a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the products the bloggers and vloggers test and brag about on their logs are sponsored or even paid for. 

• Like 2

Bloggers and vloggers have been getting paid for product placement and marketing since they started blogging, in Norway they actually have laws stating that bloggers who post about products where they have been given the product or sponsored, have to inform about it, or they get fined. 

This just levels the playing field letting everyone not just the big players get paid for what they would normally do otherwise. There's is nothing shady about this. and also your definition of what youtube is for, is extremely narrow and not at all true. for some it's true but for a lot, it's not. 

Most of this hate comes from a simple fact, the PS4 fans/bloggers are merely jealous that sony aren't paying them like MS pays their fans. sour grapes. Since most of the world don't have Norwegian product sponsoring regulations, a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the products the bloggers and vloggers test and brag about on their logs are sponsored or even paid for. 

Proof? Cause I've yet to see any evidence of that.

All I see is people discussing the integritiy of the popular channels / MS and viewers saying they will lose respect for those that give into this scheme.

same in the U.S as well, its an FTC violation if not disclosed.

The revised Guides also add new examples to illustrate the long standing principle that ?material connections? (sometimes payments or free products) between advertisers and endorsers ? connections that consumers would not expect ? must be disclosed. These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other ?word-of-mouth? marketers. The revised Guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service.

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2009/10/ftc-publishes-final-guides-governing-endorsements-testimonials

Proof? Cause I've yet to see any evidence of that.

All I see is people discussing the integritiy of the popular channels / MS and viewers saying they will lose respect for those that give into this scheme.

What integrity ? EVERY time a blogger or vlogger talks about a product or shows it off the product as at best been given to them, most likely given to them with a "donation". they just don't tell you. but sure MS is bad for actually saying publically that they will pay for it, even pay per view. 

• Like 2

What integrity ? EVERY time a blogger or vlogger talks about a product or shows it off the product as at best been given to them, most likely given to them with a "donation". they just don't tell you. but sure MS is bad for actually saying publically that they will pay for it, even pay per view. 

Then let me flip the circumstances and ask why it is not ok for sites like IGN, Gamespot etc to accept money for positive reviews but it is ok for YT channels/personalities?

And every time? Again, where is your proof on this (and the proof about PS4 fans and their sour grapes)? Maybe the channels/personalities you watch are guilty of it, but it's certainly not all of them.

There's a difference between a review and a product placement/sponsoring. these youtube channels aren't being paid to review to favourably, they're being paid for product placement. just like pink bloggers are paid to talk about lip gloss and eye lines and all that crap. 

a review is something else. 

• Like 2

There's a difference between a review and a product placement/sponsoring. these youtube channels aren't being paid to review to favourably, they're being paid for product placement. just like pink bloggers are paid to talk about lip gloss and eye lines and all that crap. 

a review is something else. 

So you believe that these channels/personalities can upload videos (reviews or otherwise), potentially absolutely slating the X1 and the games, and Microsoft are going to pay them for it?

Really?

So you believe that these channels/personalities can upload videos (reviews or otherwise), potentially absolutely slating the X1 and the games, and Microsoft are going to pay them for it?

Really?

No, that's why it's not reviews, it's product endorsement. it's a very basic principle. one practiced on blogs every day. and painfully obvious in countries where the regulations are actually enforced, so they actually have to inform about it. 

• Like 2

No, that's why it's not reviews, it's product endorsement. it's a very basic principle. one practiced on blogs every day. and painfully obvious in countries where the regulations are actually enforced, so they actually have to inform about it. 

And that is why I'm bowing to your belief that even if it doesn't include reviews, I could create a series of Let's Play videos on Titanfall, telling people it's terrible, it looks crap, it can't compete with X competitor, and you're telling me MS will still pay them for it.

Product endorsement is only ever positive, which is why I'm asking you why is it ok? You've even gone as far as to pick the keyword "endorsement" yourself.

This is why people have an issue with it, including myself, and I'd be exactly the same regardless of who it was across any media format.

Of course it's always positive, but it's still not a review, they don't pay you to say it's a **** product. Endorsement != review.  it's an invalid comparison. 

if you have issues with this, you should stop reading all blogs and seeing all youtube channels, they're all full of endorsements. 

Of course it's always positive, but it's still not a review, they don't pay you to say it's a **** product. Endorsement != review.  it's an invalid comparison. 

if you have issues with this, you should stop reading all blogs and seeing all youtube channels, they're all full of endorsements. 

I said Let's Plays as an example of where you can negatively comment on something without it being a review.

LOL. Do you really think this was not paid for by Sony in any way? This video came out before PS4 was released and available to anyone except people who were given early access.

And that is why I'm bowing to your belief that even if it doesn't include reviews, I could create a series of Let's Play videos on Titanfall, telling people it's terrible, it looks crap, it can't compete with X competitor, and you're telling me MS will still pay them for it.

umm..thats still called a review, and you're not promoting xbox, you're trashing it,and you won't see a dime.