How to wall mount extension socket?

Answered Go to the full post wall mount extension socket multi plug

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:33

This might seem like a silly question to those who know, but I've tried all sorts of Google searches and I can't find info on how to properly mount something like this to the wall..

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B008OUWJH0

At the moment I've just hammered a couple of nails into the wall and hung it off those, which at least keeps the area a bit more tidy, but it's not ideal because it means I have to use two hands to remove plugs (one to pin the extension to the wall and the other to pull the plug). 

Thanks! 

Best Answer Brian M. , 18 January 2014 - 20:40

Two screws with raw plugs is the way to go. Go to the full post

#2 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:40   Best Answer

Two screws with raw plugs is the way to go.

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:51

Nails into walls? LOL

Rawl plugs and screws.  If your walls are hollow, get the special rawl plugs.

Rawl... Not Raw ;)

#4 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:56

I used rawl plugs to mount my TV, didn't think of using them to mount this as well. I'm okay at DIY when there's instructions but useless without! 

I only used nails because I only had the idea of wall mounting it about 20 minutes ago and that's all I had in the house.  

#5 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:59

Nails into walls? LOL

Rawl plugs and screws.  If your walls are hollow, get the special rawl plugs.

Rawl... Not Raw ;)

Haha gotta love spellcheck!

Another way, if you have a smooth desk (maybe at the back) is some nice thick velcro. I have an extension lead velcro'd to the back of my hifi rack, and it's held up fine.

#6 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:00

I usually just go ahead and seat a small screw head in the holes provided on the back of the strip, and then hold them straight and press the strip into the wall, thereby scoring marks on the wall with the ends of the screws that are secured in the holes.  That way I know where to put the screws so that they line up with the mounting holes on the power strip.

Obviously if your screws don't line up with a wall stud you'll need to use a rawl plug so that it will expand as the screw bites into it and keep it from slipping through the wall material.

#7 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:09

Haha gotta love spellcheck!

Thing is, some people do say "Raw plugs".  LOL

And yes, good strong velcro holds my 14" server LCD monitor to the inside of the cabinet fine for like 3 years

#8 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:14

Haha gotta love spellcheck!Another way, if you have a smooth desk (maybe at the back) is some nice thick velcro. I have an extension lead velcro'd to the back of my hifi rack, and it's held up fine.

That's what I use. I use Velcro and place it on the leg of my desk. No plm.

#9 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:29

Hello,

The two pear- or keyhole-shaped holes on the back are the places for screws to go to mount the power bar on the wall.

WikiHow has a nice page explaining how to install anchor screws in drywall here:  How to Put Anchor Screws in a Wall: 7 Steps.

As a bonus trick, make a photocopy of the back of the power bar with both holes clearly visible, and use that as a template to mark on the wall where the screws should go by pushing a pin or needle through.  Use a spirit level, ruler/straight edge and a pencil to further mark the wall so that the power bar is neatly lined up with the wall.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!