linux instant messaging apps yahoo messenger

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 January 2014 - 21:43

Hi guys. There's something that's been bugging me for many years, about Linux: I really can't understand why there is NO instant messaging app that doesn't look like it was made in Paint. I need a IM client that supports the Yahoo protocol, and it seems that I have only Empathy and Pidgin to choose from. Right now, I use Empathy on Elementary OS and I have some issues that I can't get over (the contact list shows the ID's, not the aliases, and the file transfer doesn't work). I made it look a little better by using Adium themes on it, but the issues above are a deal breaker.

Pidgin is even worse, although it doesn't have Empathy's issues. Customizing this app is a pain (I'm trying to make it look/sound/work like Yahoo Messenger on Win, that's what I'm familiar with), it looks horrible out of the box (even the tray icon is hideous), sound/video doesn't work, etc. 

Anyway, while I'm sure that things CAN be done to make those IM clients look a little better, or even work better, my question remains. There are many beautiful Linux apps out there, but the instant messaging "department" seems to be totally ignored by developers. :(

#2 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 19 January 2014 - 21:52

This is what I use.. It is awesome.. 

https://www.trillian...beta/linux.html

#3 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:00

Well you can use the web-based version of Yahoo Messenger from your web browser. Other client's include:Jitsi and, as fusi0n said, Trillian, but aside from that Pidgin is probably the most widely used client.

Aside from that, I don't really there's much you can do to make a YIM clone for Linux using existing software. I think it's a little unfair to say that IM clients are "ignored" by Linux devs. The ones that exist are perfectly adequate (particularly Trillian and Pidgin), it's just that the interface is different from what you're used to. The applications themselves are perfectly usable.

#4 OP TDT

TDT

Firestarter

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:12

This is what I use.. It is awesome.. 

https://www.trillian...beta/linux.html

Doesn't seem to work on eOS (12.04 LTS Ubuntu).

Aside from that, I don't really there's much you can do to make a YIM clone for Linux using existing software. I think it's a little unfair to say that IM clients are "ignored" by Linux devs. The ones that exist are perfectly adequate (particularly Trillian and Pidgin), it's just that the interface is different from what you're used to. The applications themselves are perfectly usable.

Not unfair, because the look of these IM clients, compared to Windows or OSX, is absolutely spartan. And, like I said, Empathy has bugs and features that don't work. For example, today I was chatting with a friend and at one point he said "look at what I worked on today", and I was looking at the Empathy chat windows for a few minutes like a dumb ass, waiting for a screenshot or something. He DID send it, but nothing showed up on my end. 

I didn't try Trillian on Linux yet, so I can't comment on that one, but I remember that on Windows it was a bloated piece of c**p.

And yes, I agree with you that you can use these apps for CHAT, but come on, the UI and the features matter too. 

#5 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:37

Digsby, Kopete.

I used to use Digsby on Windows, but Facebook support would always break.  Switch to Trillian.

#6 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:42

Use WINE if it bothers you so much.

#7 OP TDT

TDT

Firestarter

Posted 19 January 2014 - 22:45

Digsby, Kopete.

I used to use Digsby on Windows, but Facebook support would always break.  Switch to Trillian.

Uhmm... "digsby is coming

soon for
Mac and Linux!"

Use WINE if it bothers you so much.

Really? Why don't I use Windows, right? Please, if you don't have something useful to say, don't bother replying. 

#8 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 19 January 2014 - 23:16

Really? Why don't I use Windows, right? Please, if you don't have something useful to say, don't bother replying. 

I don't know why you don't use windows, and I haven't got the foggiest idea what using windows has to do with using WINE.

You want something pretty like yahoo messenger, great, get wine and install it in that, colourful client and nothing to do with windows.

#9 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 19 January 2014 - 23:26

Yahoo! Messenger, as far as I know, won't work in Wine. Honestly, Empathy/Pidgin/Trillian is as best as you probably can do. Digsby? Isn't that long dead? :p From what I remember when I used Y!M, file transfers are pretty hit and miss (mostly miss in my past experience). Not sure if Yahoo! ever bothered to fix that, I doubt it. And I don't believe any of the third party clients support alias IDs.

#10 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 23:48

Uhmm... "digsby is coming

soon for
Mac and Linux!"

Sorry didn't click the download link, just saw it listed.

#11 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

Posted 19 January 2014 - 23:49

digsby is coming

soon for
Mac and Linux!"

Yeah it's been like that for years. FWIW, the official Yahoo client does work on Linux but it's dated.  Edit: And discontinued. lol

#12 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 20 January 2014 - 00:28

All of the good choices have been listed: either that or go CLI ;-)

#13 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:53

Pidgin may not be pretty, but IMO its the most functional client on linux ATM.

#14 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:01

People still use IM? Haven't used an IM client in years, barely use the internal one at work, seems generally pointless these days

#15 OP TDT

TDT

Firestarter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:04

People still use IM? Haven't used an IM client in years, barely use the internal one at work, seems generally pointless these days

True, yet somehow my YM was the first app that I opened at boot and I still do. I have many friends that still use it and I've been using it for many years, so it's hard to "let go".

@ n_K, I was talking about NATIVE Linux apps, not emulated (or "wrapped", like TeamViewer). Obviously, I can run something via Wine, but that's not a solution.

Anyway, if those devs are lowering the requirements for dependencies (or eOS gets a new update this century :p ), I'll give Trillian a try, maybe it will be what I'm missing so far.