67 replies to this topic

#16 OP riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:01

Hello,

Im gonna go with the ST3000DM001 because, even though the WD are made for NAS, its cheaper, faster and its a 2 year warranty vs a 3 year for a price difference that isnt all that worth it.

BTW, thanks to those that convinced me; I was gonna order a WD Red but I dont have the security details to my card to order online here at my workplace so I didnt order it.

#17 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:22

Hello,

I have a NAS running 4x Seagate ST3000DM001 in RAID5, just like you. Before the Seagates I had Hitachi, and before that I had WDs.
I would not recommend mixing drives in the NAS, be it in size or in speed.
If you read the forums and compatibility notes for many NASs, they also never recommend eco drives, usually those running at 5400RPM. Reason being that they go into power-standby and then drop out of the RAID. Read the compatibility list of HDDs for your NAS.

I don't have a NAS; Im just working with a RAID card right now.

If you put in a drive that only runs at 5400RPM and all the others run at 7200RPM, yes, it will suffer, of course. The seek and transfer times are less on the 5400 than on the others. Plus, will it even work together? Imagine pulling a carriage with 4 horses, where three of them are fine and running and one of them is old and can only walk.

There is no reason it wouldn't work. At the end of the day they are HDDs. They will just work at the weaker power (be it sata speeds, space, etc)

In my opinion, if I had to replace a drive in a NAS I would either buy the same one again or replace all of them. The only exception being if you use the drives as individual drives in the NAS and not as RAID.

There are drives made for 24/7 use in NAS which obviously would be more suited. However, if these cost a lot more than the regular 7200, and the regular ones are on the compatibility list, I would stick to those.

I usually leave my PC on 24/7 to quickly access files, TV if I need something, etc.....

#18 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:04

I don't have a NAS; Im just working with a RAID card right now.

What RAID card? Proper RAID cards drop consumer level drives as well due to not responding quickly enough.  There are firmware differences in Enterprise and NAS drives that makes this less likely to happen.

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:43

So how long ago did this drive drop out of your array? I got your pm about it 2 days ago, how is the replacement not here already yet, you do understand that if another one drops files are gone.

I would of thought as soon as disk failed in your array you would of gone to the store and replaced it, or ordered next day delivery online. This discussion on what you should get has been going on too long IMHO

Not really sure why all the discussion over 20 euro/quid/dollars difference.. If you want the RED, buy the RED - if you don't want to spend the extra 20, then get the seagate. As to the point of disks dropping from array, thought that would be moot anyway since thought your plan was going to just using drivepool? As you stated before you only have a few gig of critical files. And storing parity for all 9TB of space is kind of waste of drive.

#20 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 January 2014 - 14:31

Hello,

What RAID card? Proper RAID cards drop consumer level drives as well due to not responding quickly enough.  There are firmware differences in Enterprise and NAS drives that makes this less likely to happen.

Software one (can't tell you 100% the model but there is a thread about it somewhere). Basically bought it just in case in the future I change systems.

So how long ago did this drive drop out of your array? I got your pm about it 2 days ago, how is the replacement not here already yet, you do understand that if another one drops files are gone.

A day before this thread was created. Yup, but I have a update to date backup of all my important and critical data. If another one fails, all I lose is replacable data (which much I dont really need actually) .

Oh and of course, the PC is turned off.

I would of thought as soon as disk failed in your array you would of gone to the store

Well when this happened, it was sunday, so impossible. Yesterday was monday and we got into this discussion of which drive. Today, I was gonna get a red (making a mistake) but I didnt have my card's security measures with me (they ask for a letter in a chart). Now, at midday, I went to a store and they didnt have any 3TB and on top of that they didnt have any Seagate.

Not really sure why all the discussion over 20 euro/quid/dollars difference.. If you want the RED, buy the RED - if you don't want to spend the extra 20, then get the seagate. As to the point of disks dropping from array, thought that would be moot anyway since thought your plan was going to just using drivepool?

Changing to DrivePool now when going to move these disks to another PC (well, server) is kind of pointless right now. Ill do that as soon as I order it.

#21 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 January 2014 - 14:57

I just put in a PO for a Constellation drive from Seagate. They're like $120 on Amazon now, it's insane!

This is for a spare set of disks for our RAID 5 array, we have a main set, 2 backup sets, and now a spare set just incase there's a mechanical issue we can continue to run backups without losing the redundant backup.

At home I have a seagate "NAS" drive and a Samsung Spinpoint in my NAS. I've never been a fan of WD, so naturally I'd suggest the Seagate ;)

#22 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2014 - 22:33

This makes for interesting reading:

http://www.zdnet.com...ves-7000025375/

#23 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 21 January 2014 - 23:59

Hello,

Finally ordered the drive (ST3000DM001). Thanks to all.

#24 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2014 - 00:03

Unless you have a hardware level RAID-5 with a battery backup, I would recommend something like ZFS with RAID-Z1.

#25 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:44

Hello,

http://blog.backblaz...e-should-i-buy/

And this is why life sucks.... :( Buy something, find out the next day some better is around. Oh well.

#26 eXtermia

eXtermia

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 920 White+ Lumia 1020 64gb Yellow (telephonica no sim lock version)

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:01

Unless you have a hardware level RAID-5 with a battery backup, I would recommend something like ZFS with RAID-Z1.

I use custom built NAS with ZFS I actually like it better than raid 5, add data de-duplication and the ability migrate to other systems incase the main one fails even with different hardware. (most hardware raid only works with the same model hardware) , and the fact that riad 5 when it fails causes a lot more stress on the remaining drives compared to ZFS.***even my answer doesnt directly refer to the main question***

#27 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 23 January 2014 - 16:32

Hello,

Quicky: When I plug into the controller the new drive (got it today), should I format it before hand?

#28 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:54

Hello,

Rebuilding as we speak. ETC: 14 hours.

#29 OP riahc3

riahc3

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:47

Hello,

Rebuilt complete successfully. Browsing thru files on the RAID is now WAAAAY faster.

Thank you all.

#30 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 January 2014 - 16:43

Hello,

Rebuilding as we speak. ETC: 14 hours.

Wow.. 14 hours!

So if anything happened in that 14 hours whilst your machine was reading 2 drives and writing to the new one, you would have lost all of your data.

I'm not sure that's a sensible risk to take.