Warlords of Draenor alpha was released yesterday.

And?

Its an alpha, not even beta. Like maybe a few hundred friends and family of Blizzard will be playing it.

Even then its one zone and not much else and your comparing this to a full release?

Or implying its a threat at that stage? Dont get me wrong WOD will deffo make a dent on peoples play time.

But to suggest its a threat in its current form?

There's a very good chance it will be on sale at one place or another in the next 3 or 4 months anyways.

Yes, may need to wait a little and see what people here and elsewhere think about it. Anyone has any input, do share! Meanwhile, how come it's not on Steam or am I missing something? NCSoft a Steam-shunner?

Yes, may need to wait a little and see what people here and elsewhere think about it. Anyone has any input, do share! Meanwhile, how come it's not on Steam or am I missing something? NCSoft a Steam-shunner?

Meanwhile you could miss out on a lot of fun in 3-4 months. 

Can't we say the same about Blizzard(WoW)? They aren't on Steam. Some games are not released on steam initially because from what I understand, Steam takes a percentage of sales. NCSoft has a good enough reputation to not need Steam at all. Why give money to them when their games do great without it?

Think about it this way... How good does the team think their game is? Well... They ARE willing to give out free weeklong passes on day 1. That is VERY rare. I feel they did it because they are very confident in it. Everyone I have given a guest pass to bought the game after only 2 days. I believe the game has staying power. It may not be 'the next wow', but the reality is that there may never be another WoW.

WoW, was 'The Gold Rush'. It isn't happening again. So everyone needs to stop looking for the next WoW Killer to feed their MMO needs. There is such a diverse variety of games out now. People want an MMO that lasts them months, if not years. How about you play it for the storyline, and take it from there? There are some games out there with good story lines that people give up on because they don't think there are enough people online. The population is low, so they avoid it. Ok, so maybe you don't get the social aspect entirely, but you do get the story.

All I'm saying, is if you haven't tried it, ask for guest passes. If you have tried it and you don't like it.... why are you here? Afraid its going to take your faithful MMO friends away? Trying to deter them?

hehehe. funny :)

Not sure how that is funny. Lineage 1/2. Guild Wars 1/2, Aion. Great games with HUGE fanbases. NCSoft is great at what they do. Don't turn your nose up to a company simply because you didn't like the stuff they put out. NCSoft is a highly successful company and they have every bit of confidence in Wildstar. 

There is a reason ESO didn't give out free trials. They knew the game would fail. I see Wildstar lasting quite a while. 

Not sure how that is funny. Lineage 1/2. Guild Wars 1/2, Aion. Great games with HUGE fanbases. NCSoft is great at what they do. Don't turn your nose up to a company simply because you didn't like the stuff they put out. NCSoft is a highly successful company and they have every bit of confidence in Wildstar. 

There is a reason ESO didn't give out free trials. They knew the game would fail. I see Wildstar lasting quite a while. 

ESO isn't a great game, but your argument is a tad flawed, considering most MMOs don't give trials immediately upon release. Maybe after 6 months after the hypes cooled down, sure.

I do agree with you on the bitching of NCSoft though. If you're not a fan, cool, but not sure why a thread about a game needs this much discussion (read: QQ) on NCSoft...

As for Wildstar, I played into the beta, but it didn't really grip me either. I'm starting to question if maybe I'm just burned out on MMOs in general, but I'll have to give it another go.

ESO isn't a great game, but your argument is a tad flawed, considering most MMOs don't give trials immediately upon release. Maybe after 6 months after the hypes cooled down, sure.

I do agree with you on the bitching of NCSoft though. If you're not a fan, cool, but not sure why a thread about a game needs this much discussion (read: QQ) on NCSoft...

As for Wildstar, I played into the beta, but it didn't really grip me either. I'm starting to question if maybe I'm just burned out on MMOs in general, but I'll have to give it another go.

I didn't mean to 'attack' ESO. In general MMO's don't give out trials. Truth is, they are afraid it will not earn them a subscription. I would argue the fact that a lot of people are burned out on MMO's entirely. The Pay to Play model is hard to swallow these days when you see a game come out, and after a short while it goes free to play. It is one of those things where you think... 'why not wait until its free to play' because lets face it... they ALL go free to play. There are a few exceptions but free to play is what earns companies money. Look at companies like Riot. They are THRIVING with a free to play game. Free to Play is the way to go these days. The only real players on WoW are the diehard fans with almost a decade of the game under their belt. They kind of feel like they have to stay there because they invested so much time and money into the game.

Ncsoft has cancelled more titles in their first months than other MMO publisher s launched games. The few games that haven't been killed are almost exclusively popular in the Asian regions. Only exception is GW.

This plays directly into how much you trust them with your time and games.

And several MMOs give demos or more popular today guest passes. Though most today use open beta instead. But before(WOW) a lot of games had unlimited playtime level limited starting areas, which wow copied.

Honestly, I feel like Windstar should have left the intro area as a free to play section instead, but whatever, like all MMOs in the last few years I predict it'll be some form of F2P by the end of the year anyway, either following the Funcom formula(best option) or the SWTOR formula(more likely as it encourages paying more, and generally worth it anyway as you can play for free).

Ncsoft has cancelled more titles in their first months than other MMO publisher s launched games. The few games that haven't been killed are almost exclusively popular in the Asian regions. Only exception is GW.

This plays directly into how much you trust them with your time and games.

And several MMOs give demos or more popular today guest passes. Though most today use open beta instead. But before(WOW) a lot of games had unlimited playtime level limited starting areas, which wow copied.

Honestly, I feel like Windstar should have left the intro area as a free to play section instead, but whatever, like all MMOs in the last few years I predict it'll be some form of F2P by the end of the year anyway, either following the Funcom formula(best option) or the SWTOR formula(more likely as it encourages paying more, and generally worth it anyway as you can play for free).

Trying to say bad things about NCSoft is the equivalent of saying bad things about Apple because of their failures. It doesn't matter. They have made some VERY successful moves and they are a very strong force in the gaming world because of it. Face the facts. Hawkman, you clearly have no interest in the game what-so-ever, so why are you here trolling the topic?

It's not really remotely the same, NCSoft has actively gone out and publically states they want to pull out of American and european markets and focus on Asia where they have success..

I'm not trolling I'm responding to questions about the game from another player, and you where the one who brought up NCSofts apparent(and provern false) claim that NCSoft is a trusted company, when in the west theyr're anything but.

the stability of the publisher is a major factor when choosing a MMO to play. if the publisher is going to kill the game and all server 3 months in(like they did twice) or even before the first week(at least once) then it's probably a game and publisher you might not want to invest your gaming time and money in...

personally, I might pick up this game again, when the MMO mood swings around(I often play MMOs and then stop playing them for months and months before playing again) and the game has gone F2P.

HE wanted opinions, my opinion is that the game won't be interesting to him unless he's very into MMO's(which he admitted he isn't) and at the moment it doesn't seems worth the monthly cost compared to games you can play for free today.

Offering negative view isn't trolling, it's merely offering another view, if all he was supposed to get was opinions from those who love the game and can't admit it has any faults it wouldn't be a very good place to ask for suggestions now would it ?

Aion, guild wars 1/2, and lineage 1/2 were outstanding games to me worth every penny I put into them. Friends tell me City of Heroes was amazing as well. Just saying... Those are the games I played of theirs in the US and I have no regrets or bad memories.

So a friend gave me a guest pass to try it out. Honestly the pace and the plot bored me a bit. It didn't seem like it was trying to make me feel immersed in a world. NPCs said just enough to get me moving along, and the writing doesn't even try to explain what's special about my character that everyone gives me work or emotionally invests in my involvement in their issues. The lore system is cool, but it goes a long way to say that the most interesting characters in the game are the ones who left notes and journals around and died/left before I got there.

However, I ended up buying the game anyway, because the Explorer path is fun as ####. The low-gravity jumping puzzles had me downright giddy, and while I'm sure I'll get tired of it eventually, it was fun enough that I want to explore as much of the world as I can, if just to bounce around.

Graphics sure are poop, though.

Meanwhile you could miss out on a lot of fun in 3-4 months. 

Can't we say the same about Blizzard(WoW)? They aren't on Steam. Some games are not released on steam initially because from what I understand, Steam takes a percentage of sales. NCSoft has a good enough reputation to not need Steam at all. Why give money to them when their games do great without it?

Think about it this way... How good does the team think their game is? Well... They ARE willing to give out free weeklong passes on day 1. That is VERY rare. I feel they did it because they are very confident in it. Everyone I have given a guest pass to bought the game after only 2 days. I believe the game has staying power. It may not be 'the next wow', but the reality is that there may never be another WoW.

WoW, was 'The Gold Rush'. It isn't happening again. So everyone needs to stop looking for the next WoW Killer to feed their MMO needs. There is such a diverse variety of games out now. People want an MMO that lasts them months, if not years. How about you play it for the storyline, and take it from there? There are some games out there with good story lines that people give up on because they don't think there are enough people online. The population is low, so they avoid it. Ok, so maybe you don't get the social aspect entirely, but you do get the story.

All I'm saying, is if you haven't tried it, ask for guest passes. If you have tried it and you don't like it.... why are you here? Afraid its going to take your faithful MMO friends away? Trying to deter them?

Good point about Steam, I have no problem playing StarCraft II separately, so why should this be different. I don't understand what you mean about being afraid it will take my MMO friends? What MMO friends, I don't really play MMO's, just asking for input on Wildstar before committing...

Aion, guild wars 1/2, and lineage 1/2 were outstanding games to me worth every penny I put into them. Friends tell me City of Heroes was amazing as well. Just saying... Those are the games I played of theirs in the US and I have no regrets or bad memories.

And outside of Asia they're all flops with the exception of GW, and even those if you compare US/Euro numbers to the asia ones could be considered flops, but they're pretty average for a MMO in the west. 

CoH was amazing only because of hero customization and that it was a very early mmo. but it's animations was stiffer than a robot soccer match and it wasn't a whole lot to do. but peopel liked the customization and pretending to be heroes. it's also been killed... so it doesn't matter how amazing it "was"

I would hardly consider any of the Guild Wars game average. 

Aion on the other hand is the very definition of a korean grind fest. It's no wonder that game died within 6 months. What is surprising is that it has kept an albeit low but dedicated player base for the past few years. Though it's still extremely popular in Asian, which is probably the only reason the US/EU version hasn't been shut down.

Anyhow, I got a guest pass from a friend. I'm going into it completely unbiased but I honestly think I'm burnt out on mmos right now. After ESO I'm just not feeling them anymore.

From the little I know about the game it seems like there are actually things to do once you reach max level though. Unlike ESO where all you do is grind out veteran levels and craft uninteresting armor sets that don't have any unique looks to them to set them apart from one another.

What about the dozen other MMOs that they've shut down? Or maybe you should read about the incident with Richard Garriott.

WoW, was 'The Gold Rush'. It isn't happening again. So everyone needs to stop looking for the next WoW Killer to feed their MMO needs.

Maybe developers should stop making them then?

So I found a coupon code to get a bit off of Wildstar on greenmangaming.com. You can get the normal version for $40 and the Digital Deluxe for $60. This code ALSO works on Watch_Dogs, Wolftenstein, and Dark Souls 2 according to the link. Don't know if it's US only.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/27b4ml/gmg_new_20_off_voucher_uk3a0uyovk8888emc8_works/

It's still working as of a few minutes ago. A friend of mine gave me a guest pass and I've been playing the last week and I enjoyed it. I think I'll commit.

Well after playing for several days, I can honestly say this isn't the game for me.

Truth.

Well after playing for several days, I can honestly say this isn't the game for me.

Truth.

Can you guys say a little more about why? I am still curious about it and slightly tempted. Any feedback welcome!

I bought it a couple days before release to get the early access.  I played the crap out of it those couple days.   I didn't really like the combat.. it was like a mix between two styles that didn't feel too fluid.  I also had some really bad preformance issues.  Game would fully lock up, low fps, etc.  I can play wow on medium at 60fps  wildstar on low was like 15fps.  

Is it fun? Yea, but overall.. it seems to fall short.. and Im not sure if it was because I was expecting something closer to vanilla wow.. or what but the preformance issues killed it for me.

• Like 1

I bought it a couple days before release to get the early access.  I played the crap out of it those couple days.   I didn't really like the combat.. it was like a mix between two styles that didn't feel too fluid.  I also had some really bad preformance issues.  Game would fully lock up, low fps, etc.  I can play wow on medium at 60fps  wildstar on low was like 15fps.  

Is it fun? Yea, but overall.. it seems to fall short.. and Im not sure if it was because I was expecting something closer to vanilla wow.. or what but the preformance issues killed it for me.

This mostly sums up my thoughts.

It also doesn't appeal to my style of game - it's too cartoonish and too amateurish for me.