Notebook brand; HP vs Asus/MSI

My brother is looking for a new notebook.

He currently owns a HP pavillion notebook and is looking, once again for the HP brand because he is satisfied with it and hasnot any problems with it in the last 6 years or so...

The new HP will be from the Envy productline (or Pavillion) with the latest Intel 4th gen processor.

I myself am more an Asus/MSI user.

Which brand is better hardware-wise: HP or Asus/MSI?

Or is it just personal preference?

I had an Asus laptop which was (and still is; sold it to my mum as I didn't need it) excellent. Never any problems with it in the 3 years since I bought it.

Also I have a Dell Studio 17 laptop from January 2009 (5 years now!) that still works perfectly. Not a single hardware problem in those 5 years. I am typing this very post on it (running 8.1 like a champ). I was never too keen on Dell's consumer lines but I gotta say I am very impressed with this model. I really didn't expect to be using the same machine 5 years down the road but it just works so perfectly I don't see a need to upgrade.

I have also had Lenovo laptops for work both T and W series ThinkPad's and they were amazing. I have heard quality has dropped a bit though with the latest models which is a shame.

The best trackpads are without a doubt on the Macbook's though. Those trackpads are perfection and nothing from a Windows hardware maker comes close which is a shame.

HP's really dropped the ball with the new 4th-gen ProBooks, let me tell you that. They're become awfully plastic and there's been a jump in RMA cases, too.

Now that doesn't really say that Pavilions and other series are bad, but it certainly takes a bit.

Have no real experience with MSI (and therefore nothing to complain about).

In the end, ASUS would probably be my choice as well.

I'd vote ASUS, too. My X54c laptop developed a motherboard problem after 20 months, and ASUS provided excellent customer service, doing the repair quickly and keeping me up to date on the status. And since then it's been rock solid for over a year.

Good systems and good support makes a very good combo IMO.

Hello,

Asus, although great, have always been a bit overpriced.

What does he want the notebook for?

I have a Dell and also pretty happy with it. Typing this on it as well. I think it had ONE problem (I cant even remember what it was) but Dell tech support came over and fixed it right away.

Lenovos are great too but pricy. The difference is with Asus you get a notebook that's a bit pricier. With Lenovo you get a notebook that's a bit pricier but you feel by build quality that it is justified.

Anyways, http://www.notebookreview.com/ has awesome reviews on almost every single notebook in the world, past, present and future. Check them out and Im sure you will get the notebook best for you (used them for this notebook and I do not regret it)

He mainly uses his notebook for Internet, mailing, Office docs and some photo editing, playing some music and videos.

Nothing major, maybe the photo-editing can be somewhat GPU/CPU intensive...

maybe the photo-editing can be somewhat GPU/CPU intensive...

Would recommend a laptop with a dedicated video card then.  Will do video/imaging work much smoother.  Laptops with dedicated video cards  tend to run a little more price wise.

I've been extremely disappointed with recent HP laptops.  Used to like them, but now the bloatware, lack of updates on drivers even if they're crap (audio drivers in several cases,) and much poorer build quality makes them about as appealing to me as Dell.

Haven't used much in the way of ASUS computers but I did have one of their AIO boxes, and it surprised me how nice it was without even needing to clean the stuff off it.

Hello,

Photo editing would be more RAM intensive...

From your post it would seem he does minor photo edits so I wouldn't orientate the laptop towards that....

Did you checkout notebookreview?

The HP ENVY line is very nice, most have niece aluminium cases and good build quality.

Probably stay away from the pavillion, they're the cheaper range unless he's really strapped for cash.

Avoid MSI, Asus is better than the Pavillion but worse than the Envy IMO (obviously depends on the exact model you choose though).