Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:22

Microsoft built 75 Xbox One prototypes before settling on its finished design
BY JON FINGAS  JANUARY 20TH, 2014 AT 3:07PM ET

xbox-one-prototypes.jpg

Gadget design is rarely a simple process, and we now know that the Xbox One is no exception to the rule. Microsoft designer Carl Ledbetter has revealed that the game console went through many 3D-printed incarnations before the company settled on a final product; there were 75 system prototypes, 100 for the Kinect and 200 for the gamepad. The development team spent a long time finding a balance between familiar Xbox design cues and the desire for an always-on media hub, Ledbetter says. Whether or not you think Microsoft achieved its goal, it's clear that the Xbox One's current look was never guaranteed.

Source: Engadget

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:26

Disappointing then that it ended up looking like an 80's VCR, IMO.

I remember some of the 360 prototype designs being shown off and they were much more adventurous and unique. I think ultimately the RROD scared them away from the same design process and they went with something safe this time.

I don't really mind it being a rectangled box either, but the size/dual plastic is not an attractive design. Wonder if we'll see some pics leak out. Would be more interested to see controller prototypes.

#3 Menge

Menge

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:38

Unfortunately sometimes killer looks give place to "something that can hold and cool the electronics inside".

#4 Bonfire

Bonfire

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Rotary Dial

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:41

Some of those look a lot nicer than what they went with, but then a lot of them look kind of dumb too so I guess it could have been worse.

#5 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:55

I don't get how people think the XBOX One looks like an old VCR. Looks nothing like one.

It looks like exactly what they wanted it to be, a home Media Center.

Looks like the cable PVRs that are out today, if anything.

Why would someone want some weird shaped contraption sitting in their TV stand, being awkward to place, with all their other music/video equipment?

Personally I absolutely love the new design. Better than the 360, and way better than the first XBOX. Main reason I want one.

#6 nullie

nullie

Neowinian

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:01

Too bad they didn't apply the same methods to the insides of the machine. Cause they ended up with something 50% slower than PS4, with nearly a third the memory bandwidth. I think Microsoft bombed there, cause there's no excuse for these design flaws.

#7 RommelS

RommelS

Neowinian

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:10

Are we still on this issue about the design. :)
As I always say, by the time you start playing or watching, you will not notice the device underneath your A/V setup. You will be more focus on what's happening on the screen.

#8 sjgore

sjgore

Mostly Lurking

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:11

For those of us that grew up in the 1980's, it looks EXACTLY like a 1980's VCR, the only difference being that at least 1980's VCRs had internal power supplies.

Attached Images

• 27895A.jpg

#9 xbamaris

xbamaris

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:21

Because the case is what makes the console right?

No, it isn't. And the sooner we all get that through our heads the less complaining we'll all do.

I'm one of the few who I think likes the new Xbox One case. 

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:23

I'm one of the few who I think likes the new Xbox One case. 

But to those who hate it:

"Because the case is what makes the console right?"

No, it isn't. And the sooner we all get that through our heads the less complaining we'll all do.

Nobody is saying that.

To those of you trying to turn this into a fight: pack it in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

#11 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:24

For those of us that grew up in the 1980's, it looks EXACTLY like a 1980's VCR, the only difference being that at least 1980's VCRs had internal power supplies.

I'm not sure you understand what exactly means.

#12 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:33

I think that's more like a VCR in the 90s, if I wanted to be pedantic. ;)  80s VCRs looked more like this:

tv-retro-vcr-324x205.jpg

In all reality it looks like a black box that fits into an entertainment center, much like an older VCR, a cable box, a receiver, etc.

#13 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:41

people crack me up... 

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But going on about the box is just pathetic IMHO...

People say it looks like a VCR, well that's fine...  People complain it's not pretty, that's fine too...

here's what matters,  I don't hear my One when I turn it on.... When I first setup the One out the box, I thought something was wrong because I didn't hear a single fan kick in.

Guess what else, when you spin up a Disc Based game... You barely hear the fan at all....

During the few times where the One has been on for 7+ consecutive hours... Still don't here it with digital titles and barely hear it with disc based titles...

Oh yea.... It's still only blowing slightly warm air after that amount of time too...

And I love how it just fades away and only leaves the soft Xbox logo glowing...

It may not be pretty to some...  But it's overall design is a benefit more than a flaw...

#14 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:43

Nobody is saying that.

To those of you trying to turn this into a fight: pack it in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Actually, people were saying that back when the ps4 was revealed and sony didn't show the case.

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 20 January 2014 - 21:45

Actually, people were saying that back when the ps4 was revealed and sony didn't show the case.

Maybe so, but that is not the topic we're discussing here and not what I was referring to.

Anymore derailing/sarcasm/attempts to turn this into a fight and the topic will be closed.