Microsoft built 75 Xbox One prototypes before settling on its finished design

It's also interesting that certain people didn't seem to have a problem with the original PS3 even though it was roughly the same size and you couldn't put anything on it because of the curved shape.

I don't think that's fair at all, as a lot of people were critical of the PS3's design. Personally I thought it was big and bulky, nowhere near as stylish as the X360. This time around the PS4 has the better design but it's still pretty generic.

Personally I'm more impressed with the approach taken by Steam Machines, as each manufacturer is free to come up with their own design - there's a design for everyone. The competition between manufacturers is going to keep things interesting.

24me.jpg

I don't think that's fair at all, as a lot of people were critical of the PS3's design. Personally I thought it was big and bulky, nowhere near as stylish as the X360. This time around the PS4 has the better design but it's still pretty generic.

Personally I'm more impressed with the approach taken by Steam Machines, as each manufacturer is free to come up with their own design - there's a design for everyone. The competition between manufacturers is going to keep things interesting.

You're right, which is why I said "certain people" ;)  Steam Machines are definitely something to watch.  They could eclipse traditional consoles or the fragmentation may hurt them (they may be perceived as different units which could confuse consumers).

• Like 1

It's also interesting that certain people didn't seem to have a problem with the original PS3 even though it was roughly the same size and you couldn't put anything on it because of the curved shape.

Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

The original PS3 was the laughing stock of the internet! From the spiderman font to the george foreman grill. Slot loading, "premium feel", and an internal power supply won over some peoples minds, but the cosmetic design was widely slated (apart from the rotating playstation logo).

Were you not on the Internet for about a year after the PS3 launched?

post-350302-0-36960700-1390313532.jpg     post-350302-0-78898700-1390313533.jpg     post-350302-0-04047200-1390313535.jpg

Oh geez...

Blu-Ray players!

Denon_DBP2010CI.jpgdenon-cara-bluray-player-450x239.jpg

ud5005-network-bluray-player.jpg

Receivers!

tx-nr5008angled400600.jpgEV_rxv565.jpg

Cable boxes!

samsung_front.jpgComcast_box_610x222.jpg

What do all of these have in common?  Things that can stack in an entertainment unit!

Except the cable/sat boxes which like consoles are made to look cool and be annoyingly small instead of a nice standard stackable size.

24me.jpg

Bright lights in my media unit. Just what I wouldn't want. It's annoying enough with the two super right LEDs silverstone put in e front of my HTPC case, along with the worlds dimmest LCD. I should get a driver for that LCD panel again so it has some use except a dim blank square of light...

Both the XB1 and the PS4 look great in the place they are supposed to be, the home media stack.

Imagine putting one of those Steam machines pictured above in there, the equivalent of a 90's Essex boy's car!

Give me subtle, stackable and un-noticeable any day.

• Like 3

Regarding Steamboxes, it is nice that there is variety, but I have to say that most of the models that have been announced are simply out of place in the living room.

If the whole point of a Steambox is to bring pc gaming to the living room, then some of these manufacturers have it all wrong and just don't get what people want looks wise out of a box that is going to sit under your tv, with other electronics.

MS and Sony get it, that's why both designs are muted and go with a black color. Sony added a slant, but its still a 'boring' black box that disappears when you put it into your home theater. Big plus for me and a big improvement over the designs of last gen. A white Xbox 360 with a slight curve to it and a glossy, extremely curved ps3 were probably my least favorite console designs from a looks standpoint.

Next-gen-console-size-comparison.jpg

I have an issue with the original PS3. That thing is a behemoth. Still bought one though, just like I bought an X1 :)

As for PS4, it isn't winning any beauty pageants either. Two tone plastic again (N) The one good thing is the size.

Except the cable/sat boxes which like consoles are made to look cool and be annoyingly small instead of a nice standard stackable size.

I purposely bought a small one, why would I want a big one if it offers no extra benefits? I have enough junk under the TV, if I can get one that's smaller I will

I guess I don't really care about the particular shape if it looks like any other box in my TV unit and blend nicely in.

If it looks like a VCR, is that supposed to be bad? VCRs were good when I used them. :laugh:

If it blends so well into the home theatre set up, doesn't that reinforce the theory that it could be mistaken for a VCR/receiver etc etc :laugh:

Think we're all in agreement here one way or the other :P Some are seeing as it as an "attack" on something that really isn't a big deal.

My point was that, yes, it looks like a component piece.  However, people bring up the 80's VCR thing as a "look how old and tired it's designed" when they could easily compare it to a modern 2014 blu-ray player or receiver.  The comparison is meant to be degrading.

My point was that, yes, it looks like a component piece.  However, people bring up the 80's VCR thing as a "look how old and tired it's designed" when they could easily compare it to a modern 2014 blu-ray player or receiver.  The comparison is meant to be degrading.

And poking fun at the PS3 looking like a BBQ or George Foreman's isn't? Or that the original DS3 looked like a batarang/boomerang? Or the 360 looked like a 2004 Dell PC?

Double standards my friends. Double standards.

Whose double standards?  I'm talking about the Xbox One, not a PS3, DS3 or 360. :blink:

You posted the picture of the PS3 commenting...

It's also interesting that certain people didn't seem to have a problem with the original PS3

Maybe they should have built 76.. The Xbone has been in stock at my local electronics shop since the New Year, but I havn't seen a PS4 yet. All considered, thats not great..

I see a similar picture at a Target nearest to me. I have never seen a PS4 in stock and have started noticing XBO in its place only recently (since last few days of Dec or first week of Jan).

I also see that the number of XBO boxes changes every time I visit. I guess Target employees must be having fun moving them around to kill time?

Although the more logical explanation is that people are buying XBOs and there is a steady supply of them. It may not be as popular as PS4 but it is apparently not sitting on the shelves.

I was comparing the PS3 dimensions to the X1s dimensions, saying they were similar.  I was just saying that people (specifically here) that liked the PS3 are now complaining about the form factor of the X1.  There was nothing derogatory towards the PS3.