Logmein free is going away

This is good news for many innocent customers who had been keep getting scammed by Indian call centre scammers who were calling on behalf of MS telling people that their computer is infected and used to send logmein link to delete their files.  For others who had been using logmein, majority of them must be enough technically savvy to set up another RDP client. 

I'm not sure people want to poke a hole into their router pointing at a Microsoft service.

Its perfectly safe as long as you set it up correctly.

Certainly safer than allowing a 3rd party app to have access.

My previous experience with TeamViewer was bad.

The only way of having a smooth remote desktop was to drop the colours to 16bit, remove themes and wallpapers - and even then the redraw was poor.

Whereas LogMeIn was smooth no matter what settings.

Used it for a few years in 7, 8 And 8.1 and never personally had the issues you mentioned.

Define correctly.

Default settings require high security connection, so then it's just the security of your username and password, which is up to you on any service.

Gave up on Logmein years ago when they crippled Hamachi..

Just started using teamviewer, quite impressed by it..

Doesn't TeamViewer personal have adverts?

IIRC it has a connection time limit. It's lengthy enough to not bother you on most use cases, but it's there (or at least it was).

The only time I've hit that limit is when a friend had to connect to a VM on my computer to access a VPN for several hours. He had to reconnect a few times.

IIRC it has a connection time limit. It's lengthy enough to not bother you on most use cases, but it's there (or at least it was).

The only time I've hit that limit is when a friend had to connect to a VM on my computer to access a VPN for several hours. He had to reconnect a few times.

This is not true and hasn't been true for years.  There is no time limit.  I have used TV for hours without getting disconnected.  The only instance in which they impose a time limit is if you use a company modified version (i.e personalized logo) without a license installed.  That is limited to 5 minute sessions.  All other versions are unlimited.

I dropped logmein when they removed the ability to log into unattended computers last year (the remote computer had to be on logged in to use it). This comes as no surprise to me. They had been slowly creeping in additional restrictions for years to force people to upgrade.

I dropped logmein when they removed the ability to log into unattended computers last year (the remote computer had to be on logged in to use it). This comes as no surprise to me. They had been slowly creeping in additional restrictions for years to force people to upgrade.

I used LMI free to log into my PC/laptop/server numerous times when there has not been an account logged in...

This is not true and hasn't been true for years.  There is no time limit.  I have used TV for hours without getting disconnected.  The only instance in which they impose a time limit is if you use a company modified version (i.e personalized logo) without a license installed.  That is limited to 5 minute sessions.  All other versions are unlimited.

Good to know then, I guess that was with an older version.

That blog post relates to Hamachi and not the LogMeIn remote control agent

I was under the impression that the remote desktop part of logmein was consistent all of product lines (it's all managed using Logmein Central) and that Hamachi only added the additional VPN. I.e. A Logmein Free account included a managed VPN network (if you wanted it) on top of the remote desktop. So right now I'm assuming the managed VPN portion is also going away.

Anyway, it appears to me that you are saying that the regular Logmein host software didn't add the 'must be logged in' restriction and only the Logmein Hamachi software specifically did. I did not realize this at the time... and well shoot, that was a year wasted on alternatives...

I've been using Teamviewer for years - and am happy to say that my 'free' use made me buy a corporate licence for our company which we've renewed for four years in a row without even questioning it.  It's saved us a whole heap of time and money with our business.  

I hope it's people like me who keep it free for personal use :)

• Like 3

since im moving to teamviewer im was wondering if there its a way to hide completely the systray icon of teamviewer that and the web edition was the only advantages of logmein against teamviewer

since im moving to teamviewer im was wondering if there its a way to hide completely the systray icon of teamviewer that and the web edition was the only advantages of logmein against teamviewer

Not natively, there may be a way to do it with some 3rd party app.

My previous experience with TeamViewer was bad.

The only way of having a smooth remote desktop was to drop the colours to 16bit, remove themes and wallpapers - and even then the redraw was poor.

Whereas LogMeIn was smooth no matter what settings.

Then there was another factor - because TV is butter smooth - even on a relatively weak conxn