Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,632 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:28

Would you rather do your mailing at:

A.) The Post Office

B.) Staples

C.) What's mail?

If you answered B, you're in luck, because the Post Office has plans to cut lines and add more hours by offering mailing services at Staples stores. If you answered C, you are one reason why the Postal Service is losing billions of dollars every year.

The embattled U.S. Postal Service, which has been mostly unable to convince Congress to make changes to put it on a firm financial footing by offering extra services and cutting underused local offices, says the Staples deal would be a win-win for customers and employees.

While Staples stores might not be the happiest places on earth, at least they're open at time when local post offices aren't, says Dave Partenheimer, a spokesman for the U.S. Postal Service. The Postal Service is betting that customers will appreciate the convenience of going to their local Staples store for products and service offered at the same prices as their local postal office.

"Today is a perfect example. It's a federal holiday so our Post Offices are closed," Partenheimer said. "But in those alternative access places customers can still buy stamps, mail packages, and take care of other postal business today. The same is true for Sundays at many of those locations."

As nice as all this might sound for customers, the postal union says this idea should be returned to sender.

On Friday, postal service union leaders delivered angry letters to Staples stores in California that are participating in a pilot program that provides mailing services in more locations for customers.

"Only U.S. Postal Service postal employees are fully accountable to the public, and sworn to uphold the sanctity of the mail," the letter said.

more

#2 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,473 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:41

"Sanctity of the mail"? :rofl:

Is that what they call it when my "mail" is 90% spam, destined for a landfill or fireplace, with the rest slow & looking like it's been stomped underfoot?

Gimme a break. If companies can deliver better service, without the lines & 'I don't care' attitide you get at a post office, have at it.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,632 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:45

Staples would not be 'convenient' in this area.

Would cost most people $5 or more in gas, just to get to one.

#4 ls_dragons

ls_dragons

Neowinian

• 185 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:26

Can't be bothered to go read the full source article -- but...  At my local post office, I can "buy stamps" and "mail packages" regardless of whether the 'post office' is open, whether or not it is a holiday etc.  There are machines that provide the ability to weigh a package and purchase the correct postage.  How is this different than what will be offered at Staples.  How is the postal workers union impacted by putting machines at Staples and not by the machines in their own facility?  The "service" the postal service provides me locally is home delivery of mail and "registered mail" handling etc.  These things - I have to do when POSTAL EMPLOYEES are at work - won't be able to do those things at Staples.

#5 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:35

What really annoys me is buying stamps. The post office use to have stamp machines that I would use at 2am in the morning to buy stamps when ever I needed them. Sure they were annoying, where one time I got there and I was short 10 cents and I had to run home and get more. They have taken those out.

#6 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:36

What really annoys me is buying stamps. The post office use to have stamp machines that I would use at 2am in the morning to buy stamps when ever I needed them. Sure they were annoying, where one time I got there and I was short 10 cents and I had to run home and get more. They have taken those out.

Yeah I miss the stamp machines, too.

#7 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:38

Can't be bothered to go read the full source article -- but...  At my local post office, I can "buy stamps" and "mail packages" regardless of whether the 'post office' is open, whether or not it is a holiday etc.  There are machines that provide the ability to weigh a package and purchase the correct postage.  How is this different than what will be offered at Staples.  How is the postal workers union impacted by putting machines at Staples and not by the machines in their own facility?  The "service" the postal service provides me locally is home delivery of mail and "registered mail" handling etc.  These things - I have to do when POSTAL EMPLOYEES are at work - won't be able to do those things at Staples.

So, you're telling me you can mail a priority package, international package, etc that weighs 20 lbs without the post office being 'open'?

#8 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,933 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:52

I know a number of Staples (might be common but I only ever visit a few) here in Canada have Purolator desks in them. Purolator being basically owned by Canada Post.

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 18:00

For the last few years I no longer send out paper invoices via The postal service, now it's done all via Email with a PDF invoice. Sure if I get some people who are outstanding i'll send a letter. A few weeks ago I sent 20 out of them out.

#10 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• 1,262 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 18:12

USPS is a joke. And people want gov't healthcare too.
That's all I've to say about that.

#11 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,236 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 18:15

If you answered C

Oh cry me a river, compete or die.

If the USPS dies, I'm sure I'll shed a tear.  A fake one.

#12 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,293 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 20:03

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45018432

http://www.pbs.org/w...-service/11433/

http://mobile.bloomb...efits-mess.html

This is why it's broke. Congress mandating prefunding pensions 75 years in advance for people who don't work for them yet in an effort to rob them of usable cash flow and squeeze cheap options from the public to use private pricy options that charge based on the destination.

Private companies want more customers so they bribe politicians to fix the rules and make the USPS artificially broke. Pay attention to your government and get money out of politics

#13 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,243 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2014 - 20:10

Oh cry me a river, compete or die.

If the USPS dies, I'm sure I'll shed a tear.  A fake one.

USPS is very much unable to actually compete in the area of real growth (package delivery) for a number of reasons. Such as:

1. Their prices have to be public. UPS and FedEx negotiate secret contracts between large shippers keeping actual prices a mystery.

2. USPS doesn't offer service outside of the US. A major area of vendor lockin by UPS and FedEx is so called "Supply Chain Solutions" where they will pick the package up in China by the pallet and break them down, repackage them, and deliver the individual product to the end user.

3. USPS isn't allowed to severely reduce service in rural areas where they realistically should reduce service to a couple days a week and keep service at the 7 days a week (for packages) in urban areas.

That isn't an exhaustive list, but it isn't very easy for USPS to compete in the new landscape. That being said, we really need them to stay around. There are a lot of people who aren't served by UPS or FedEx due to the lack of profitability so they dump to USPS. Without USPS many rural persons would end up in a very dark place. But I get that it is fun to jump on the anti-USPS bandwagon.

#14 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,236 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 20:15

That isn't an exhaustive list, but it isn't very easy for USPS to compete in the new landscape. That being said, we really need them to stay around. There are a lot of people who aren't served by UPS or FedEx due to the lack of profitability so they dump to USPS. Without USPS many rural persons would end up in a very dark place. But I get that it is fun to jump on the anti-USPS bandwagon.

I could care less about this bandwagon of which you speak.  I am not anti USPS.  But I definitely don't need them to stay around.

#15 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 20:16

USPS delivers to locations that FedEx and UPS don't.

Parts of the post office, or any official government postal entity is set by the US Constitution controlled by congress.

It's a *service* not a business. 

(Edit) and see above about the mandatory funding of retirement for 75 years by Co_Co.

The postal service has also sent information to congress on changes they can do, that only congress could approve, to save money.

Until congress acts, they can't implement them.