usa post office holidays congress convenience pilot partnership

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,038 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 20:39

I prefer UPS or even FedEx.  Using the USPS I've had broken packages, lost packages, letters that had been opened when they arrived at my mailbox, etc.  The one time I tried to collect the insurance for a broken package I'd shipped via the USPS, they handed me a packet about 20 pages thick front and back.

Relative to the article though, using a Staples would not be more convenient for me.  There's rarely any lines at our local post office, and the closest Staples for me is about an hour's drive away.

I use the USPS to send letters and other paper correspondence, and that's just because it's easier to carry a letter out to my mailbox than it is to call UPS for a pickup, but when it comes to packages, I don't trust them any more, they have more than demonstrated their incompetence and lack of professionalism with experiences I've personally had in the past, and with videos like this.

#17 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 15,675 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 21:02

FWIW, a small city near here has a hardware store that's also the post office for the South side of the township. Yeah, like Sam Drucker's genetal store in Petticoat Junction.

#18 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 5,842 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2014 - 22:55

I could care less about this bandwagon of which you speak.  I am not anti USPS.  But I definitely don't need them to stay around.

So you care a lot about it? I'm not sure what you're saying regarding the bandwagon...

Just because you don't actively use something doesn't mean it shouldn't stay around. I never venture to the city's recreation centers and I don't have kids. I wouldn't agree that we should get rid of them all simply because I don't use them.

As I mentioned previously, UPS and FedEx do not deliver to everyone in the US. Losing USPS would effectively wipe many people off the map. It would also dramatically increase the cost of sending hard copies of documents. Even if you need this rarely it is still required in many cases (like notifying you of a deed change if you own property). E-Mail is cool and hip, but people do change email addresses or let them expire (yes E-Mail addresses at GMail, Hotmail, etc. expire). There needs to be a stable and reliable way to reach everyone when it is important to do so.

But sure, we'll just get rid of anything that you don't personally actively use...

#19 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 5,842 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:06

I prefer UPS or even FedEx.  Using the USPS I've had broken packages, lost packages, letters that had been opened when they arrived at my mailbox, etc.  The one time I tried to collect the insurance for a broken package I'd shipped via the USPS, they handed me a packet about 20 pages thick front and back.

Relative to the article though, using a Staples would not be more convenient for me.  There's rarely any lines at our local post office, and the closest Staples for me is about an hour's drive away.

I use the USPS to send letters and other paper correspondence, and that's just because it's easier to carry a letter out to my mailbox than it is to call UPS for a pickup, but when it comes to packages, I don't trust them any more, they have more than demonstrated their incompetence and lack of professionalism with experiences I've personally had in the past, and with videos like this.

I can agree the performance of the USPS can be less than desired. I lived in Center City Philadelphia until recently and the difference between Center City and South Philadephia is like night and day. We have had mail delivered as late as 11PM and oddly, though not frequently, skipped. Occasionally we have had 2 or more mail deliveries in a single day. It seems this PO is very badly managed...

That being said, I have had mixed professionalism from all delivery companies. I have had UPS claim they have attempted to deliver packages to me and I wasn't home when I lived in a 24 hour doorman building where that is effectively impossible. I have had UPS mysteriously "lose" packages. The same is true for FedEx. Sadly, the organizations are made up of people and unlike computers we can't get the same level of performance out of each and every one of them.

Overall I prefer USPS. A lot easier to get to the PO if I need to pick up in person, they deliver packages on Sunday, deliver early in the day to residences, etc. If anything, I think we should have choice. Delivery companies are a lot like cell phone providers; varies by location.

#20 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Neowinian

• 3,946 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:16

I'll care about the USPS when they can actually deliver a PRIORITY package in less than a week, 2-5 business days my ass, been 6 and I'm still waiting on my 2 pound package, and no it's not what you think it is, those should be shipped via FedEx I hear 

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,939 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:57

But sure, we'll just get rid of anything that you don't personally actively use...

Sure, if you want to.  I still couldn't care less.

Not caring if they die does not mean I have any desire for them to.  You are perhaps reading things that are not there.

#22 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 15,675 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:58

Returned a bit of tech by USPS last week. Seller sent a prepaid return box with the replacement item. Detroit area to Louisville, ~315 mi/510 km. Could have drove it there in a few hours.

9 FRICKIN' DAYS!!

#23 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 592 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:09

Sure, if you want to.  I still couldn't care less.

Not caring if they die does not mean I have any desire for them to.  You are perhaps reading things that are not there.

Stop being selfish for a minute and realize that the US mail might actually be important to the country as a whole, even if you don't think it impacts you directly.

#24 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,816 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:14

"Sanctity of the mail"? :rofl:

Is that what they call it when my "mail" is 90% spam, destined for a landfill or fireplace, with the rest slow & looking like it's been stomped underfoot?

Gimme a break. If companies can deliver better service, without the lines & 'I don't care' attitide you get at a post office, have at it.

This.

I can't think of the last time I dealt with a Postal Worker (For work or personal) that actually cared...

And the things they think are acceptable are just appalling...

I'm glad they seemingly care about their jobs when someone else offers to do it cheaper and better, but they never cared about that when they had no fear for this job...

Oh, and for a little example.  (I actually got this call today).

On 10/24/13, I sent a collection letter to a company located approximately 15 minutes drive from our office.  Today they called me because it arrived...

I could have WALKED it there sooner...

#25 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,939 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:16

Stop being selfish for a minute and realize that the US mail might actually be important to the country as a whole, even if you don't think it impacts you directly.

I already realize that.  What exactly are you expecting here?  If you want to make me care, you're about twenty years too late.

#26 Joe User

Joe User

Lazy Joe's

• 592 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:21

I already realize that.  What exactly are you expecting here?  If you want to make me care, you're about twenty years too late.

Well, that's pretty sad.

#27 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,832 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:23

This.

I can't think of the last time I dealt with a Postal Worker (For work or personal) that actually cared...

And the things they think are acceptable are just appalling...

I'm glad they seemingly care about their jobs when someone else offers to do it cheaper and better, but they never cared about that when they had no fear for this job...

Oh, and for a little example.  (I actually got this call today).

On 10/24/13, I sent a collection letter to a company located approximately 15 minutes drive from our office.  Today they called me because it arrived...

I could have WALKED it there sooner...

Seems unlikely that a letter took 3 months to arrive...on any delivery service.

Did you see it post marked or just take their word for it?

Well, that's pretty sad.

Typical American attitude, and its not exactly uncommon.

#28 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,939 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:35

I generally believe that if services fail, alternatives would take their place and in many cases already exist.  I just really don't see the point of getting all upset about a theoretical problem that may not even impact people the way some assume It will.

I'm sure my not caring about the POTS offends you guys terribly.

#29 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,816 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:07

Seems unlikely that a letter took 3 months to arrive...on any delivery service.

Did you see it post marked or just take their word for it?

It was a very upstanding customer.  I have no doubt they were being truthful.  It was on an account that has since been made current, so they had no reason to call other than to make sure there wasn't an issue with our billing (Given the date of the letter, they assumed it was in error).

Never doubt the inefficiencies of a service that is proped up by an inefficient government and has little to no expectations placed on it.  LOL

In another example from my personal life...  In November I had what was believed to be Asbestos Tile in my Kitchen.  I had to get this tested.  I mailed this sample to a lab only a couple of hours away outside of Philadelphia.  This took almost 3 weeks to arrive...  I ended up sending another sample assuming it had been lost in the mail...

#30 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 24,749 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:12

God forbid she has to walk 5 more feet! :laugh:

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!