School students snort candy

PORTSMOUTH, RI -- Students at Portsmouth Middle School were caught snorting Smarties candy, a trend that reports show is increasing.

It might sound like a joke, but State Behavioral Health Care Administrator Rebecca Boss says the matter is just as serious and dangerous as most inhaled drugs - the threat of irritation and infection

"Any kinds of changes in behavior are definitely indications that the child is doing something they may not want the parent to know about," Boss said.

Parent Bruce Digennaro was shocked to hear of the trend.

"They laugh about it, they say that they've heard of kids doing it, but they don't imply that it's a big problem or that it's something that a lot of people do," Digennaro said.

Adrian Markey is another concerned parent that doesn't understand why students would want to do this.

"Where do they get these ideas? You know, can they harm themselves? You know, what will it lead to? They are all concerns obviously." Markey said.

Parents should pay close attention to their children's hobbies and behaviors in regards to any drug use.

source

And we snorted sherbert pretending it was cocaine.  As in pretty much everyone did it once.  And very few went on to be cocaine users - and I do not attribute it to this silly folly.

And none of it had anything to do with rebellion!

• Like 1

You forget how dumb you were as a kid sometimes - sounds like a great idea to inhale crushed up sugar & chocolate into your lungs!! Jeez! 

There were some people at my school that got paracetemol capsules, opened them and snorted them - and then moaned how painful it was, but kept doing it claiming they were hardcore drug users.

The world's full of idiots, I'm fine with people doing that so long as my taxes aren't wasted having to treat them in hospitals.

They were doing this when I was in grade school, it's probably been around for as long as the candy itself :p. It seems like they'll report on anything these days. 

Also, as a Canadian; whenever I hear 'Smarties' I always think of these:

2547701-2340101726-smart.jpg

I can't imagine those being very pleasant to snort :p (Not that the American version is any better)

We were discussing this in IRC the other day

also Smarties in USA are not the same as Smarties in the UK

the USA Smarties are more like UK love hearts lol

This is nothing new. I remember back in the 80s, kids would snort Pixy Stix. They were basically Smarties already in powder form, in a straw-like wrapper.