Man falls into coma after taking ibuprofen

A 28-year-old man from the United Kingdom developed a potentially lethal skin condition and was in a coma for nine days after developing a rare condition possibly triggered by the over-the-counter drug ibuprofen, The Chronicle reported.

Last May, Jason Ryan developed flu-like symptoms, a blistering rash over his legs and back, and tennis ball-sized blisters on his feet. At the time, he was taking ibuprofen every four hours and had never experienced a bad reaction to the drug in the past.

After going to the hospital, he was diagnosed with Steven-Johnson Syndrome (SJS), a rare but potentially fatal condition that starts with a burning rash on the face and torso. Ibuprofen has been identified as a possible cause for the severe reaction.

Ryan eventually woke up from the coma and is weak but recovering ? however, the syndrome could still return. SJS affects two people in a million but can be fatal if left untreated.

more

Statistically reactions like this are always going to occur, though that doesn't make it any less horrific for those involved.

• Like 2

I use it frequently and have never had any problems, just like most people. We're talking about something that affects 1 in 500,000 people (or 0.0002%) - personally I'm fine with those odds.

There is no drug that is 100% safe for everybody, statistically there is always going to be someone who develops side effects.

You might as well say 'OMG someone nearly died eating a peanut, let's stop eating peanuts before they kill everyone!'

Also increases the risk of liver damage.

Glad that I never use ibuprofen.

Oh don't be absurd.  Two in a million from your own source and you say "I'm glad I don't use ibuprofen" like it happens to everyone.

Do you use any over the counter medicine? Everything has potential side effects that can affect one in a million people.

There is no drug that is 100% safe for everybody, statistically there is always going to be someone who develops side effects.

You might as well say 'OMG someone nearly died eating a peanut, let's stop eating peanuts before they kill everyone!'

They are completely banned in most Schools these days, even if there isn't a kid slightly allergic to it, the cases of those that are super allergic to it are rare but it hasn't stopped them from overreacting as usual 

I'm referring the the incident that you initially posted, as you well know.

Liver damage caused by prolonged taking of pain killers is well known and mentioned on every box of painkillers you'll buy.  It's not their fault if you can't read.

Peanut and tree nut allergy prevalence is 2% in the US and some western nations.

A JAMA Pediatrics paper last month found a major reason is mothers not eating peanuts or tree nuts before and during pregnancy, and withholding them early in life. Doing the reverse resulted in a significant reduction.

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/Mobile/article.aspx?articleid=1793699&resultClick=1

Haven't taken Advil (ibuprofen) or Tylenol (acetaminophen) in a long time.  Usually I just deal with the pain, get some sleep, relax, etc.  If I am in pain it's for a reason, may as well treat the cause and not the symptoms.