Photo

What Do You Guys Think Of This, A Vertical Menu Bar? Pic Shown.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2014 - 14:57

So I just had a kind of random thought. I'd like to see what a vertical menu bar looked like. So I spent the night putting a concept together. It occurred to me the reason I might have done this is because I thought, "since all monitors are widescreen now." that it wouldn't be that illogical for usage. The menu options would quickly (instantaneously?) fade in and out, and the drop down menus would all be contained in the same area. What do you think?

12069902833_a8d4883012_o.png

#2 sidroc

sidroc

The critic

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:06

I like the basic Idea of a vertical menu, but the biggest trouble is that the total wasted space is much higher than having a horizontal menu bar. Now if this menu bar could auto hide when not in use then I would like it allot better.

#3 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:09

:x

#4 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:09

That looks absolutely hideous. 

#5 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:10

From my experience, I tend to learn keyboard shortcuts and use them instead of the menu.  Having that much screen estate taking by something that I might use once or twice a day would bother me.  I think an auto-hide option on that menu would be great.

^ To the guys above saying it's hideous: it's a functionality prototype, it's not meant to look good  :rolleyes:

#6 OP Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:19

I like the basic Idea of a vertical menu, but the biggest trouble is that the total wasted space is much higher than having a horizontal menu bar. Now if this menu bar could auto hide when not in use then I would like it allot better.

I was thinking about that too, but then I thought "Well, this is notepad it would be minimal on Notepad." I did toy with the idea of putting the icon bar underneath the menu options, but I didn't think that worked as well as putting it in the title bar. It keeps everything in the same corner this way. Also, it didn't feel like Notepad was a program a lot of people would use fullscreen, so it didn't seem too much like a disadvantage. I initally was going to try this out with Gimp, since the menu options would be more diverse.

#7 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:22

It occurred to me the reason I might have done this is because I thought, "since all monitors are widescreen now." that it wouldn't be that illogical for usage.

It's good logic, it's the reason I have my taskbar on the side instead of the bottom.

#8 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:23

From my experience, and we have quite a few applications that use menus like that, is that it's not a nice implementation and takes up too much space, there's a reason horizontal is still the standard 

#9 OP Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:35

From my experience, and we have quite a few applications that use menus like that, is that it's not a nice implementation and takes up too much space, there's a reason horizontal is still the standard 

I kind of agree. It just seemed like an interesting option that was worth putting a concept together for. I do think it would be an interesting option for bigger programs though because the single column space would cut down on moving the mouse from going through a horizontal menu, then going through a vertical menu. Since all the options would stay in this one designated column I think it might cut down on amount of space to move the mouse around.

#10 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:44

I kind of agree. It just seemed like an interesting option that was worth putting a concept together for. I do think it would be an interesting option for bigger programs though because the single column space would cut down on moving the mouse from going through a horizontal menu, then going through a vertical menu. Since all the options would stay in this one designated column I think it might cut down on amount of space to move the mouse around.

This is why we have UI/UX designers and not programmers/managers/etc doing the work. Monstrosities like this would otherwise happen.

#11 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 21 January 2014 - 15:50

We read left-to-right, and as such our words are wider than they are tall.  This means that if you wish to use words rather than icons in a menu, you are already onto a loser with this layout.  Moreover, your idea that a larger app would benefit is hokum, because the wealth of menu items needed would require pop-outs half a mile long.

#12 OP Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 21 January 2014 - 16:04

We read left-to-right, and as such our words are wider than they are tall.  This means that if you wish to use words rather than icons in a menu, you are already onto a loser with this layout.  Moreover, your idea that a larger app would benefit is hokum, because the wealth of menu items needed would require pop-outs half a mile long.

There wouldn't be a pop out menu. That is why I put a back button. Also, there is an icon bar at the top.

#13 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 21 January 2014 - 16:12

There wouldn't be a pop out menu. That is why I put a back button. Also, there is an icon bar at the top.

Even worse then.  Menus that you have to navigate backwards and forwards on?  Not fast to use.

#14 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 January 2014 - 16:13

There are some apps that do something similar, but it's more for different windows/functionality then menu options. With some companies pouring millions into user experience and user interface design research, I'm sure if this was a good solution one of them would have done this. :/

#15 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 21 January 2014 - 16:23

wow that is just horrible. the menu takes up wayy to much space.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!