What Do You Guys Think Of This, A Vertical Menu Bar? Pic Shown.

The beauty of drop down menus is that you can easily navigate between the different levels of menus. With your method if you're 3 or 4 levels deep you'll have to click back 3 or 4 levels if you want to get back to the main menu toolbar. With drop downs; it's just a matter moving your mouse and hovering on the new menu option.

Right, you wouldn't have to navigate through all those menus. You could simply press the back button in the same place. Again, you wouldn't have to go through a horizontal bar to get to a vertical menu. The other good thing is you don't have to constantly keep going down for that sub menu as the options would be in the same place as the previous options.

Right, you wouldn't have to navigate through all those menus. You could simply press the back button in the same place. Again, you wouldn't have to go through a horizontal bar to get to a vertical menu. The other good thing is you don't have to constantly keep going down for that sub menu as the options would be in the same place as the previous options.

You miss the point. Pressing a back button to navigate between sub menus is not as intuitive nor friendly as how current menus system work right now.

Vertical menus I think are better for navigation of content. OneNote MX does this. 

If you want a vertical menu that works, you'd probably end up making a Ribbon-esque interface that happens to be standing upright instead of lying vertical. Having back buttons as in your concept is just going to add extra steps/motions that need to be undertaken whether with touch or mouse, and more importantly, is not going to be worth the trade-off (for instance, you won't expose more functionality vs. a well designed horizontal interface). 

See the issue with vertical menu-bars was mentioned by Jensen Harris during his explanation with the Ribbon UI, the more commands you add the more sliding draws you will have, it would then be easy just to add a scroll bar, making it a VERY cluttered UI. 

See the issue with vertical menu-bars was mentioned by Jensen Harris during his explanation with the Ribbon UI, the more commands you add the more sliding draws you will have, it would then be easy just to add a scroll bar, making it a VERY cluttered UI. 

I was just thinking about that too. But given there would be such exceptional space for the vertical bar (plus a down arrow if necessary. Looking at all the programs I've gone through to see if this problem would come up and it hasn't yet.) I don't feel it would be a difficult problem. And going back to the Ribbon UI, I think if it were a customizable button bar the same way VLC provides for it's user interface it would be a lot less cluttered than the cluttered Ribbon UI.