Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 January 2014 - 13:42

currently deciding between:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=650 ti boost

PNY GeForce GTX 650 Ti Graphics Cards 

Or 

XFX Radeon R7 260X 1075MHz 1GB DDR5 DP HDMI 2 X DVI Graphics Card (R7260XZNJ4)

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=r7 260x

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=r7 260x

ASUS 2GB GDDR5 DIGI+ VRM technology Graphics Cards HD7770-2GD5

Thoughts neowin?

Bumpage for the above?

#17 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 22 January 2014 - 16:51

So decided to go with:

http://www.amazon.co...0_26725410_item

Non reference cooler as according to reviews r7 260X runs hotter than previous generation chips.

#18 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 22 January 2014 - 18:47

Alrighty then! Even if it does run not so cool, you're not going to feel it anyway as your old card was vastly more inefficient. I think Asus DirectCU version isn't using AMD reference design for PCB either, so they've just might have fixed layout of stuff or something.

Happy gaming (or whatever is that you'll be doing with it) :)

#19 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 22 January 2014 - 19:07

Alrighty then! Even if it does run not so cool, you're not going to feel it anyway as your old card was vastly more inefficient. I think Asus DirectCU version isn't using AMD reference design for PCB either, so they've just might have fixed layout of stuff or something.

Happy gaming (or whatever is that you'll be doing with it) :)

Yeah, if I closed my room during the summer I could feel it warm up slightly :laugh:

Also, had not idea about the directCU stuff, cool beans!

DirectCU II is a dual-fan design - one standard, one using Asus' 'CoolTech' design - boasting a large heatsink connected to a single large 10mm heatpipe and numerous - although unspecified - smaller heatpipes. A VRM heatsink is also included, while the board itself enjoys non-reference power components including Digi+ voltage regulator modules using the company's Super Alloy Power (SAP) technology.

Card should be here by next week (friday or sat), since it is couriered to where I live :p I'll post as soon as I get it going.

Also:

This card works very nicely and has great cooling with the fans Asus placed on it. Don't forget to attach your 6 pin from your Power Supply.

It does use 6 pin connector! edit: nevermind you were talking about the  250  :wacko:

#20 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:48

Also, slightly off topic and kind of beating a dead horse. How come I see artifacts from POST, won't boot into normal mode (win7) but safe mode + networking works like a charm?

Because in safe mode the GFX isn't using most of it (low VESA resolution, doesn't get hot and so on) so it can work...until it dies for good. I've had a dying GFX that had those same symptoms: only worked in safe mode and even then for only a small amount of time until it gone ape ######.

#21 OP Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 23 January 2014 - 00:31

Because in safe mode the GFX isn't using most of it (low VESA resolution, doesn't get hot and so on) so it can work...until it dies for good. I've had a dying GFX that had those same symptoms: only worked in safe mode and even then for only a small amount of time until it gone ape ****.

That makes sense. As long as it lasts me to next friday, i'm good :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!