A New York City McDonald?s and elderly residents who would hang out at the fast food restaurant for hours have agreed to a truce.

The group of mostly Korean seniors butted heads with McDonald's management after they were given a limit of 20 minutes to finish their food.  The fast food chain said the seniors were sitting at the restaurant all day, taking up precious seating and ordering little food.

After several calls to cops, a near sit in by the seniors, and some Korean-American leaders threatening  a boycott of the restaurant, a deal has been reached.

Local officials stepped in to help settle the dispute and management has agreed to ease the 20-minute seating limit during off-peak hours, reports the New York Daily News.

For their part, the seniors agreed to give up seats during the busy hours of 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. if other diners are looking for a spot to sit. Also, a local senior center will provide transportation at the location to give patrons another place to hang out.

?We had to dig deeper to comprehend the pride of a small business owner as well as the pride of our seniors to seek a place to socialize,? said Assemblyman Ron Kim, who helped broker the deal.

The franchise owner said in a statement that he?s proud to serve the community, and that his ?restaurant has been happy to welcome these customers for years.?

source

Ah, the eternal struggle between the Korean seniors and McDonalds management. If these two warring factions can achieve peace I am filled with confidence that Israel and Palestine can do it too. Hey, maybe all you need to achieve peace in the Middle East is some Korean seniors and a few McDonald's employees. Well... They've tried everything else...

• Like 2

I'm no fan of McDonalds, but they're a business, not a ****ing lounge. You can't just go hang out in there, spend next to no money, and occupy space that could be used by paying customers.

• Like 2

I'm no fan of McDonalds, but they're a business, not a ****ing lounge. You can't just go hang out in there, spend next to no money, and occupy space that could be used by paying customers.

Many seniors here buy a discounted coffee or ice cream, then sit around for 3 hours or so.

But so do many teens go there, buying nothing. :laugh: Some of them ask for a 'water' cup, then sneak soda.

Hello,

They should have just force fed the seniors a Mc Burger with all the trimmimgs every five minuites,they would have soon surendered

Or die; Which ever comes first.

In all seriousness, they should leave. Im sorry but McDonalds is a private business open for profit. They should be forced to leave. Trust me, a couple of seniors boycotting that McDonalds is not gonna make them lose costumers...

The article doesn't say that they're not paying customers.

You can't just go hang out in there, spend next to no money, and occupy space that could be used by paying customers.

More to the point, why would you want to spend the day hanging out in McDonalds? :s
  • Like 1

Hello,

The article doesn't say that they're not paying customers.

It says they ate little food; They bought something but were there for hours and hours...

McDonalds Franchise owners : "We are proud to serve the community, as long as it doesn't take more than 20 minutes or GTFO of my fast food branch ".... yeh /s