• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,554 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 16:18

Hello,
Really? Ive been in loved with Seagate with that. No questions asked replacement always. Takes about a week to get one to Netherlands to back here.

It may be different for end users. I've had too much trouble with Seagate working in retail without some big a* distributor in between.

#17 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

• 5,843 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 16:32

Am I the only one in the world who has had no issues with Seagate but had issues with WD?

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,349 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:41

I saw this on Lifehacker yesterday and noticed it's a bit sparse; no Toshiba or Samsung.

Samsung doesn't make HDD's anymore. 

Am I the only one in the world who has had no issues with Seagate but had issues with WD?

Well there may be one or two others... so I wouldn't say the only one in the world, but... :p

#19 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• 1,538 posts
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:42

I agree with Seagate being least reliable... stats do not surprise me...

#20 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 15,938 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:43

Samsung doesn't make HDD's anymore. 

Oh right, wasn't aware of that. Just saw on their site though they still have a couple of 2.5" drives listed, and a few external ones too. http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/gb/en/

#21 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,408 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:46

I had always went with WD for HDDs. I've had several and never received a dud or had one fail on me in operation.

I no longer own any HDDs and only purchase Intel SSDs.

#22 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,434 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 22 January 2014 - 17:56

No surprise there...

I haven't bought a Seagate hard drive in at least ten years. The last time I did, the one I got failed in less than a month. Ever since then I've bought Western Digital and never looked back.

#23 Romero

Romero

Neowinian Senior

• 1,957 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 18:05

Not only Seagate may be the least reliable, but it's hard to get them exchanged. WD drives do fail, especially Green drives have been a headache, but then WD will exchange them without question. Seagate, on the other hand, would require Seatools report. According to Seacrap, multi-terabyte drives can have thousands of reallocated, irrepairable sectors, and due to them - tragically bad performance, but if Seacrap says it's ok, you're SOL - like, it's working, is it not? Only true mechanical failures (calibration retries, seek errors, ) are a given.

In my experience they're least reliable too, but so far easy to get replaced. Last time I owned one it started getting bad sectors that were slowly increasing with time. The reallocated count was much less than 1000 but all I had to do was fill out the online RMA form and they exchanged it, no questions asked. Perhaps in your location there have been many fraud attempts and so they do more due diligence and require more proof, but it doesn't seem to be the same everywhere.

#24 +rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• 880 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 22 January 2014 - 18:09

I switched from WD to Seagate about 4 years ago. Honestly though, I've never actually had a hard drive fail (WD or Seagate), despite running my machines 24/7.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

#25 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,491 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 22 January 2014 - 23:32

I saw this on Lifehacker yesterday and noticed it's a bit sparse; no Toshiba or Samsung.

Backblaze is a cloud backup provider, meaning lots of hard drives for storage. These statistics were generated from their own experience with failures over the last few years. Unfortunately, given that their servers were only running these three brands of drives, they had no other manufacturers to report on.

#26 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 3,868 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:33

Not only Seagate may be the least reliable, but it's hard to get them exchanged. WD drives do fail, especially Green drives have been a headache, but then WD will exchange them without question. Seagate, on the other hand, would require Seatools report. According to Seacrap, multi-terabyte drives can have thousands of reallocated, irrepairable sectors, and due to them - tragically bad performance, but if Seacrap says it's ok, you're SOL - like, it's working, is it not? Only true mechanical failures (calibration retries, seek errors, ) are a given.

Not from me, I went online did a warranty status check, from that clicked to order a replacement, printed the shipping label, read the packaging instructions, packaged & shipped it - received teh replacement 8 days later.

I'd call that pretty hassle-free (except the ridiculous requirements for packaging!)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!