• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 22 January 2014 - 14:50

Just double check that memory works in the box.. There are some listings of what memory works. I would validate it before order.

And yes even though they list 8GB max, there are many many people showing that they work up to 16GB, for what he is doing 8 should be more than enough.

I only have 8, and run multiple VMs, etc If he is just going to run 1 os and share some files 8 should be more than sufficient.

@fahim
"Correct - you don't have to use RAID. I don't (anymore)."

Really - kind of surprised at that coming from you.. Its a bit off topic, but I would be interested in your new setup. I was always pretty impressed with how you have leveraged your setup to provide for lots of storage. So are you using a 3rd party drive pooling software? Or Windows built in stuff? Something else?

Mine is running 16GB - I bought 2 of these DIMMs, although cheaper than they are today (I paid about £45):

http://www.amazon.co...05151_M3T1_dp_2

As for your question Budman, I have 10 drives (6x1TB 2.5" and 4x3TB 3.5") in ZFS (2 arrays in RAIDZ1) being exposed via NFS and iSCSI from FreeNAS.  I have a total of 160GB (64GB and 96GB) in SSDs being used as datastore on ESXi.

I still have an LSI RAID card, but I am using it as a HBA to support the drives.

#32 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 22 January 2014 - 14:53

Was about to recommend upgrading to 8GB... makes a difference.. I am running WHS2011 on my box, and it does run pretty sweet!

Was looking at running AMAHI ... looks rather interesting! - link :http://www.amahi.org/

Amahi does look interesting might stick that in Virtualbox later and have a play around with it

#33 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 22 January 2014 - 15:02

My Linux VM is Arch.  

It sounds like you have no idea how virtualization works Haggis.  I would highly recommend toying with it, its damned amazing.

#34 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 January 2014 - 16:34

I have virtual machines on my laptop where I play around with different distros etc

What I aas not sure of was using them on another machine

Cheers for all the info guyd

#35 ndoggfromhell

ndoggfromhell

Master of the 6th Speed

Posted 23 January 2014 - 18:05

HP Microserver's are great.  I've got mine running WHS2011 and I use another inexpensive program called DriveBender to Pool my 4 storage drives to look like 1.  I have a small SSD for the OS, it sits in the ODD bay, and I put four 3Tb Seagate drives in the removable bays.  DriveBender let me install just two at first, then add 2 more as my storage needs increased.  Best part, I can pull one of the drives out with the system off and put it in another system and still see the files on it.  Since I store only items I have backed up elsewhere, I chose not to run any RAID.  I wouldn't use RAID 5 if you're going to do all 2Tb drives.  The rebuild time on a 6Tb array would be far too dangerous to perform in a reasonable amount of time.  Also, 25Gb blurays have come down enough in price to make them a practical backup medium.  I have an external USB Bluray drive I use to backup data from any of my computers.  

#36 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 January 2014 - 22:03

I installed Ubuntu Server on Virtualbox tonight and had a play around with it

So far managed to get ssh working which was a must

samba is working and i can share files

not really sure what else i would need

#37 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:23

Ordering this at the end of February :)

#38 OP Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2014 - 15:05

Ordered and was delivered today

cant wait to get home and get my hands on it

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!