Quicktime 8 for Windows... when?

The last update of quicktime for Windows is 7.7.4... Does Apple stopped making updates for Windows? Any plans for Quicktime 8? 7.7.4 came on 2012 or first half of 2013.

i don't think there will be one, and i never understood for mac why they went from 7 to 10 either. The current version of Quicktime for Mac is 10.3

i don't think there will be one, and i never understood for mac why they went from 7 to 10 either. The current version of Quicktime for Mac is 10.3

Are they going to fusion together iTunes and Quicktime in Windows? Because it could make sense for them to do it in Windows.

Hello,

The last update of quicktime for Windows is 7.7.4... Does Apple stopped making updates for Windows? Any plans for Quicktime 8? 7.7.4 came on 2012 or first half of 2013.

Well, there is no Quicktime 8 :) It is at 10 (or Quicktime X)

Maybe the versions aren't the same for both platforms?

Like, maybe v7.7.4 for Windows is the same as v10.3 for Mac OS X or something.

Not sure.

Just did some research.

To answer the question about the jump from 7 to 10, the word seems to be that they did it to really play on the upgrade, much like they called it OS X instead of 10.

According to this thread no one had heard anything back then about there being an upgrade for Windows, more than likely just a couple of security fixes here and there. I think you're out of luck getting a serious update.

EDIT: This does raise the question, why do you want an update? I don't use Quicktime on my Mac, I always go to VLC.

Hello,

If you are in Mac, yes... but in Windows the last version is 7.7.4

What I ment is that there is no version 8 of Quicktime. They went directly to 10.x on OS X and stayed at 7.x.x on Windows.

Is there something you need that Quicktime offers?

Nope, if you open version 7.7.4 is so old the GUI that looks like they have not update it since Windows 2000. In Mac, the GUI of version 10.3 is up to date and modern.

Maybe the versions aren't the same for both platforms?

Like, maybe v7.7.4 for Windows is the same as v10.3 for Mac OS X or something.

Not sure.

More faster load with Windows 8 GUI... Quicktime 7.7.4 looks like it was made for Windows 98 - 2000

Is there something you need that Quicktime offers?

Nope, if you open version 7.7.4 is so old the GUI that looks like they have not update it since Windows 2000. In Mac, the GUI of version 10.3 is up to date and modern.

So you want an update to make it look pretty? I would suggest switching players then, like I said I don't see anything changing with Quicktime on Windows any time soon. ;)
  • Like 2

I use Quicktime to watch my purchases from iTunes in Windows... I need an update because quite frankly the GUI looks like it was made for Windows 98 - 2000 and is slow as hell. My PC have 8GB of memory RAM. My PC is not slow.

EDIT: This does raise the question, why do you want an update? I don't use Quicktime on my Mac, I always go to VLC.

Hello,

I use Quicktime to watch my purchases from iTunes in Windows

I dont think you need Quicktime to view what you bought from iTunes.

Any DRM capable player will work.

What I'm surprised about is why there hasn't been a move to migrate iTunes to AV Foundation/AV Kit for both the Windows and OS X version so then at least on the Windows side they can kill off Quicktime in favour of a slimmed down framework rather than having something as heavy as Quicktime on Windows. Maybe the eventual is to move to AV Foundation/AV Kit in version 12?

What I'm surprised about is why there hasn't been a move to migrate iTunes to AV Foundation/AV Kit for both the Windows and OS X version so then at least on the Windows side they can kill off Quicktime in favour of a slimmed down framework rather than having something as heavy as Quicktime on Windows. Maybe the eventual is to move to AV Foundation/AV Kit in version 12?

Are you sure iTunes still relies on the QuickTime framework? 

Are you sure iTunes still relies on the QuickTime framework? 

At least in Windows yes, uninstall quicktime and see if itunes load fine without error.

Has there been any change in the mov codex with the updates on the mac or has the newer quick time updates been application only and no codex changes?

At least in Windows yes, uninstall quicktime and see if itunes load fine without error.

I don't seem to have Quicktime installed on Windows 8.1 (unless the framework is somehow included in the Apple Application Support package), yet iTunes runs without issues. Certainly there's no separate Quicktime Player included with iTunes anymore, which I know used to be (annoyingly) the case when you installed iTunes on Windows.

I don't seem to have Quicktime installed on Windows 8.1 (unless the framework is somehow included in the Apple Application Support package), yet iTunes runs without issues. Certainly there's no separate Quicktime Player included with iTunes anymore, which I know used to be (annoyingly) the case when you installed iTunes on Windows.

Can you able to watch the purchased TV shows?

The title of the thread should be: "Quicktime 8 for Windows... why?" :p

No disrespect to the OP.  Just a little joke.

No "joke" here.  Who still needs Quicktime on a Windows machine in this day and age?

VLC still hasn't failed to play the obscure .MOV file I may still come across every once in a blue moon.  Get off this proprietary crap.