Anyone using Waterfox?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:20

For a long time the 64bit browser was actually slower than the 32bit variant.

Mozilla don't consider the 64bit Windows build to be "shippable" for a reason, that includes hard to track down bugs, compiler issues, etc.

However, they still have an x64 trunk (with Nightly and Aurora builds) - I have Waterfox, Nightly x64, and I'm about to add Cyberfox x64 to the list.

Due to the greater availability of x64 plug-ins (all the add-ons and plug-ins that I use are fully x64, for example), I have far fewer reasons to stall.

#32 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:44

I used to use it. I hate it. They bundled ads with the installer in the past, but the worst part is that they are incredibly slow to keep up with Firefox's updates. Stay with an outdated browser? Hells no. Also, the performance increases of using a native 64 bit browser are minimal.

I have been using Waterfox for a long time... I had never encounter a version/build that bundles with ads. It would be nice if you mention exact version so I can look into that to verify that. Let me know the version that contains ads.

#33 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:09

However, they still have an x64 trunk (with Nightly and Aurora builds) - I have Waterfox, Nightly x64, and I'm about to add Cyberfox x64 to the list.

Due to the greater availability of x64 plug-ins (all the add-ons and plug-ins that I use are fully x64, for example), I have far fewer reasons to stall.

Yep, because since I wrote that post, they've been working on fixing all the problems.

The crash reporter actually works now, the compile process doesn't stall, they're working on running tests, etc.

#34 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 02 September 2014 - 15:55

pcxFirefox, I find, is the best third-party 64-bit variant of Firefox on my machine. Also, since Chrome has shipped a stable 64-bit build on Windows, I'm sure Mozilla will become more serious about it.

#35 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 September 2014 - 16:02

as far as 64bit firefox goes I personally prefer PaleMoon.

i tried waterfox for awhile and didn't like aspects about it. especially that it didn't have the updater included (at least back when i was using it)

#36 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 September 2014 - 00:57

pcxFirefox, I find, is the best third-party 64-bit variant of Firefox on my machine. Also, since Chrome has shipped a stable 64-bit build on Windows, I'm sure Mozilla will become more serious about it.

They've been serious about it for a while, problem is that there are issues blocking a release.