Photo

Detail level vs. resolution vs. frame rate

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Detail level vs. resolution vs. frame rate

Which of the following would you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,144 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:07

Assume the four poll choices were the only options - which do you prefer?

I'd go for the first (High detail, 1080p, 60 fps constant), personally.

It's probably because I've always been a PC gamer, so 60 fps is the usual and long-standing holy grail for us, even if many of us have to lower the detail a bit :)

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:09

Im more about graphics than resolution/fps.  50FPS to me feels very smooth, so I'd rather have a fairly speedy/smooth game lower res (I don't see the difference betwen 1080 and 720) and higher graphics.

#3 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 35,990 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:16

I don't mind small frame rate drops if it allows a genuinely noticeably "prettier" game, but we're talking 60 going to 50+. When your target is 30FPS you really can't be affording drops, sure maybe 28~ here or there, but not dropping lower and frequently. Don't really think those kind of drops on a 30FPS title are really "acceptable" this generation.

As for resolution, I'm expecting higher this gen, if The Last of Us can do 720p/30FPS on the PS3, I do not expect 720/30FPS titles on the PS4. It really has to be 1080/30FPS minimum, maybe on some titles 900/60FPS if the title is especially sensitive to frame rate.

#4 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,725 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:21

I don't mind any really.

I care about gameplay. If the game is good, then it can do whatever it wants visually.

One thing i do like to have but not a deal breaker is the game to run in my monitor/tv's native resolution. Plus i don't like all these in betweens with consoles. Either 720p or 1080p for a console.

I'm an old school gamer. I'm only bothered about playing games.

#5 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,623 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:24

This is kind of an odd poll... As a PC gamer, I always prefer to play at my monitor's optimal resolution (1080p). I also want the highest playable graphics setting which delivers the best frame rates. Depending on the game, you can get away with lower FPS, but I prefer 60+ FPS. Which PC gamer doesn't want the highest resolution with the best graphics setting and 60+ FPS? 

#6 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:29

I game on PC, so obviously extreme at 1080p (native resolution) with 60+fps. If I can't get the highest settings at 60+ fps, I just lower/disable the AA settings to achieve that.

#7 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:32

Framerate being the most important, followed by resolution since non-native resolutions always look like crap on LCD monitors, then start playing with effects sliders.

#8 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,720 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:37

Hello,

I don't mind any really.
I care about gameplay. If the game is good, then it can do whatever it wants visually.

One thing i do like to have but not a deal breaker is the game to run in my monitor/tv's native resolution. Plus i don't like all these in betweens with consoles. Either 720p or 1080p for a console.

I'm an old school gamer. I'm only bothered about playing games.

QFT. The voters of this poll is why the gaming industry is getting worst and worst... :no:

#9 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• 1,221 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:47

Gameplay is dependent only on the gameplay design, it doesn't effect graphics.

I personally prefer a game with good gameplay and good graphics, you don't have to sacrifice one for the other. 

#10 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,725 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:53

Hello,
QFT. The voters of this poll is why the gaming industry is getting worst and worst... :no:

I don't think so. People can have a preference over what they prefer.

It is certain people who think it is the most important thing when it comes to games. They're pushing the industry in the wrong direction.

It is quite noticeable on this forum. Both Microsoft and Sony forums are terrible for it. Very rare is a post about a game and its gameplay or if it is any good. It is all about what resolution or framerate they run at.

Look at the Computer Gaming forum. It isn't as popular but most of the time it is people talking about the games.

#11 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,293 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:02

i don't mind lower frame rates as long as the detail is great.

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,800 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:04

I usually go for the 3rd option.

Very high detail, 1080p, hovers around 40 fps

#13 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,167 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:09

Yeah! Because it's just impossible to combine the two (good gameplay and good grpahics) :rolleyes:

#14 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,800 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:09

Hello,

Not at all. The gaming industry is getting worst cause people keep buying CoD and Madden every year instead of new original series.

BTW the gaming industry is not really getting worst. Only the AAA gaming industry is. The indie market is full of extremely good and awesome little gems. These days i would say i play indie games 75% of the time.

I had WAY WAY WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY more fun with Rogue Legacy than any of the AAA titles last year. Enjoyed The Legend of Grimrock a lot too the previous year. Terraria was and still is lot of fun too.

Yeah! Because it's just impossible to combine the two (good gameplay and good grpahics) :rolleyes:

Of course it's not.

But why would big publishers care about gameplay when they can sell the same games over and over and over again every year? Why would they? They have no reason to since CoD keep selling and will continue to sell in the upcoming years.

#15 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,059 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:12

just a personal preference, but anything over 30fps works for me. I choose resolution first, then change the in-game settings to compensate.