Detail level vs. resolution vs. frame rate

Detail level vs. resolution vs. frame rate  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you prefer?

• High detail, 1080p, 60 fps constant
    • Very high detail, 720p, hovers around 50 fps
    • Very high detail, 1080p, hovers around 40 fps
    • Extreme, 1080p, 30 fps

If it's singleplayer or good with an xbox controller then ultra settings as fps doesn't seem to matter much with an xbox pad, if it's multiplayer then highest fps i can get.

Of strong relevance to this topic, here several influential video game designers, from both camps, with different levels of inclination towards each, talk on graphic fidelity and imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very important to me that i play at my screen's native resolution of 1080p at the highest settings at 60 fps. I bought one of the best CPU's on the market and at the time the best GPU in order to achieve this. i7-4770K and GTX 780.

If the above is not possible then I would have sacrifice one of them. Resolution downgrade is not an option. So this leaves graphical settings and FPS. I would normally lower fps-killers such as 16x anti-aliasing, bloom, SSAO etc in order to get the FPS up.

I'm just going to throw some real world experience in here.

I have a 23" Dell LED monitor that is top notch. On that I play 1080p 150fps+ everything on max.

I also have a 42" LCD HDTV that is hooked up to the desktop I play on too.

I use my laptop in the living room via HDMI to the TV depending on setup.

Everyone is impressed with my performance from the desktop computer and always says things look great. When I game on my laptop I play at 720p and turn up the effects like AA and AF a little bit.

Not one person has ever noticed the difference. I find as long as it's over 40fps no one complains and they never notice any difference even with effect settings. As soon as I want to run 1080p off my laptop and it slows to 30fps people notice.

These people I am talking about are friends who are not always as hardcore as some of the people on here. At least in my experience the average person can not tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I see this all the time. What they ALWAYS can tell is the framerate of the game. Like I said if it drops below 40fps while we're used to gaming at 60+ people will say something.

I like the idea of this poll. I've wondered myself how I stand against others in my valuation of looks vs fps. Personally, I voted "Very high detail, 1080p, hovers around 40 fps". 40fps is a bit low for my taste but 1080p is a must and 30fps is just stupid.

Depends on the game

Most 3rd person action / adventure, most rpg's do perfectly fine with 30fps.

Above that rate, is icing on the cake.

Most FPS's where response time / reaction being important, higher refresh rates such as 60fps are more important. 

To be honest I can do with 30fps but it depends on the genre.  Racing games or FPS for example, you really want to be hitting 60fps.  But most other types of games don't *need* 60fps and i'm happy to sacrifice fps for better visual fidelity.