How to remove google account without factory reset

hi, folks

I'm irritated with this problem I have

Changed my gmail account password using my laptop and now on my smartphone I can't access my account anymore because it doesn't accept my new password

I want to remove existent gmail account but it says that I can only remove it doing a factory reset that will erase all my data on the smartphone  :crazy:

tried downloading some root explorer to delete accounts file but it won't install...

anyone knows how to solve this?

this kind of thing should never happen...i'm putting google on trial  :|

If you go in to your phone's settings, there should be a section about accounts. Select the Google account and then hit the options key and you should see the option to remove the account.

I haven't done this myself though, so I'm unsure what will happen afterwards.

If you go in to your phone's settings, there should be a section about accounts. Select the Google account and then hit the options key and you should see the option to remove the account.

I haven't done this myself though, so I'm unsure what will happen afterwards.

yes. but it won't let me delete the account, it says that the account is used for other programs (calendar, etc) and only a factory reset will make it possible

Are you using googles 2 level authentication? it made me sign in in on my phones browser to get the account working on the phone.

I can access via phone browser of course.

I think I'm using their new authentication yes...they sent me an sms code

make another gmail account, pop it on your phone then delete the old one...

yes. but it won't let me delete the account, it says that the account is used for other programs (calendar, etc) and only a factory reset will make it possible

I can access via phone browser of course.

I think I'm using their new authentication yes...they sent me an sms code

make another gmail account, pop it on your phone then delete the old one...

not possible.

another gmail account? I want the one I use now...it's my email account!

delete the old one? as I said before it won't let me do it without factory reset

Have you unchecked all of the various syncing options under the Google account? I'm wondering if doing that and then trying to remove the account would work...

With the sms code they sent you, you should be-able to long on to the account from your phone.

no...it has a sync problem...

Have you unchecked all of the various syncing options under the Google account? I'm wondering if doing that and then trying to remove the account would work...

yes. I did that but still says it is only possible to remove account with factory reset

Not sure what you could possibly be doing wrong here, all the given options should work and not need to do a factory reset, something else has to be going on 

not possible.

another gmail account? I want the one I use now...it's my email account!

delete the old one? as I said before it won't let me do it without factory reset

make another "temporary" gmail account on your phone, then remove  the old one "temporarily" ...

the solution is here (uff!) ? http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-inspire-4g/183977-cannot-sign-my-google-account-2.html

its look like you decided to turn on two-factor authentication for my Google account, that is what make the error on password 

It turns out the solution is simple. The reason the problem happens is, as Google notes (and as I completely ignored when switching on the two-factor authentication option), not all Google apps are compatible with the system yet. However, Google offers the option of using a browser to generate a special application-specific password.

Simply go to your Google account settings, and select the option to edit your two-factor settings. Then select the option 'Manage application-specific passwords'. This will prompt you to enter a name for the device you're authorising (in my case my LG P500 Android phone). You can then generate a random password that will let you use the Android Gmail app. (You can also revoke access from the same interface.)

Problem solved!

next time you remember to change your gmail password slam your fingers!

if you have to do it try to change it firstly on your smartphone and after on your laptop

I think that way it won't happen this

It was a real pain in the...

it's an alert for you all! changing gmail passwords will affect your access via smartphone

you'll need to do the above method to solve it and believe it wasn't easy to find the solution googling etc...

this method generated a long password that I inserted on my smartphone when gmail login window popped up

I thought it wasn't going to work but after 2 min received gmail message on my phone and i was in my gmail account again!!!

You have to use an 'application specific password' to log in to the functions you are talking about.

Information here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Its not really as much of a pain as the poster above makes it out to be. Its a one time thing for each setup you have to do (phone, outlook, Win8 mail app, etc). And its much more secure than not having two factor authentication enabled.

• Like 1

Older Android phones couldn't remove the main Gmail account without a factory recent but newer ones can (i think Jellybean 4.2 and up.) So if you have an older one you can't remove your gmail account.

You may be able to put in a different sim/number and your phone will ask you for your password?

Older Android phones couldn't remove the main Gmail account without a factory recent but newer ones can (i think Jellybean 4.2 and up.) So if you have an older one you can't remove your gmail account.

You may be able to put in a different sim/number and your phone will ask you for your password?

it's solved

solution is above

got my account back so no need to delete account (it was my idea to delete and then create again but it won't let me do it)

• 1 year later...