I managed to get my hands on a PS4. Now to avoid my being ripped a new one by my wife

If it's not a financial burden, can you go buy her something and call it even? 

My wife isn't a gamer, but she's OK with all of my consoles and tech gadgets. The funny thing is that our sons are starting to become interested my stuff.

post-34805-0-41277400-1390593133.jpg

Ok first of all, I don't know if you should be asking for marital advice on a tech site, much less a gaming forum :laugh:

Regardless, I would say good strategies include buying her something she really wants to offset your purchase, or trying to swap it out. I would caution against the swap or anything that involves hiding it since these things tend to find a way to reveal themselves. I don't care how well you think its hidden, best to assume it will happen.

I'm one of the lucky few with a wife that is as big a gamer as I am, so we had both already accepted the fact that I would be getting both. Now the plan was not to get both at launch, so that was a bit of a shock, but it works out.

True, you would know :laugh:

LOL........LOL....... Funny thing is, its right in the open down in my man cave.  It's a huge GameStop bag just sitting there.  If I'm not sitting down there, she doesn't look in that direction at all...

She isn't the type who feels she needs to buy something every time I buy something.

She knows I'm like "kid at Christmas" when it comes to my "toys"...

Her angst will be, having to compete with another console... :angry:

Already having to deal with: PS3 (60GB, so basically a PS1, 2, and 3) Xbox 360, Xbox One, a dating PC gaming rig, ipad 2, and a laptop... and now a PS4

I strolled into a GameStop on my way home from work yesterday.  

My Exact words:  Let me ask you the dumb question of the day.  Do you have any PS4's in stock?

GameStop employee (who looked like a 12yr old boy  :woot: ):  Yes we do.  Would you like one?

Me:  (Silent for about 10seconds.  Was caught off guard by him answering yes)  Yes I would like one thank you....

Now the real problem. I managed to sneak the PS4 into the house and past my wife without her noticing.  I told my wife I would only get one console this gen.  And she already knows I have a Xbox One.

Now I have 30days (GameStops return period as of today, on unopened items) to decide if the PS4 is worth the wrath of Mrs. W.... :/  :cry:

If she isn't happy, then if you like PS4, then you can give Xbox One to her and you get to keep PS4 ... so you both are happy.. 

Otherwise, you can keep either Xbox or PS.

looks like someone is sleeping on the couch or outside

Hahahahah

Tell her it's an addon for your Xbox One.. it enables you to play games otherwise not available for it.

If it's not a financial burden, can you go buy her something and call it even? 

My wife isn't a gamer, but she's OK with all of my consoles and tech gadgets. The funny thing is that our sons are starting to become interested my stuff.

My sons plays on my phone all the time, and loves to watch me play games on my "new pewter" (aka ps4).

Already having to deal with: PS3 (60GB, so basically a PS1, 2, and 3) Xbox 360, Xbox One, a dating PC gaming rig, ipad 2, and a laptop... and now a PS4

Since I see you mentioned this competition more than once, I gotta ask:

WHAT IN THE WORLD are you doing with your consoles? Or this forum cannot handle such NSFW info? :D

Since I see you mentioned this competition more than once, I gotta ask:

WHAT IN THE WORLD are you doing with your consoles? Or this forum cannot handle such NSFW info? :D

LOL.....  I work... I also spend quite a bit of time at Church (about 3days a week or so), I spend a ton of time with my kids (well my son is 15 so he in his room gaming it up) but my 2 youngest (9 and 2) get a ton of my time...

My wife falls asleep very early compared to me...  So I hit the man cave and jump back and forth between systems, even sneaking in time on the PC (loves my Magicka) and will probably be giving Dota 2 a try soon.

LOL.....  I work... I also spend quite a bit of time at Church (about 3days a week or so), I spend a ton of time with my kids (well my son is 15 so he in his room gaming it up) but my 2 youngest (9 and 2) get a ton of my time...

My wife falls asleep very early compared to me...  So I hit the man cave and jump back and forth between systems, even sneaking in time on the PC (loves my Magicka) and will probably be giving Dota 2 a try soon.

That's a whole new story to handle, bro. In that case, your "man cave" is as of today forbidden to the wife. If she notices the thing, you'll say you got it since forever and no competition ever happened. Not to mention you can game during her sleep time. Would she prefer you drunk or gaming? :D Everyone needs their relaxation time.

Out of XBL curiosity used Google on ya name. Some things the wife should not see. (POF ad)

If she is concerned about having to compete with it, just make it clear that there is still only 24 hours in a day. Regardless of you buying it or not, your time on it would've just otherwise been spent on the Xbox One. Either way, her competition hasn't changed. :p

Then make it a policy to show her more attention. Like add a small date night or lunch into the schedule, something simple and fun that you can do together. If money isn't what it's about, then I'm sure she'd appreciate the sentiment more than anything. Maybe a walk in the park, feed the ducks, etc?

My girlfriend and I live 40 minutes away, so time isn't something we get enough of, but when we do, we certainly make the very best of it. :happy:

I personally like to live with the mentality that if I don't want to make my girl happy, there's surely someone who will.

Then make it a policy to show her more attention. Like add a small date night or lunch into the schedule, something simple and fun that you can do together. If money isn't what it's about, then I'm sure she'd appreciate the sentiment more than anything. Maybe a walk in the park, feed the ducks, etc?

My girlfriend and I live 40 minutes away, so time isn't something we get enough of, but when we do, we certainly make the very best of it. :happy:

I personally like to live with the mentality that if I don't want to make my girl happy, there's surely someone who will.

One thing about my wife and I, is we are very much in love.. And spend a ton of time together believe it or not. But she wants 150% of me.., :-)

That's a whole new story to handle, bro. In that case, your "man cave" is as of today forbidden to the wife. If she notices the thing, you'll say you got it since forever and no competition ever happened. Not to mention you can game during her sleep time. Would she prefer you drunk or gaming? :D Everyone needs their relaxation time.

Out of XBL curiosity used Google on ya name. Some things the wife should not see. (POF ad)

Holy crap... I only use the name diezel78 on Live. Not sure where all the other crap comes from (not me)...

Didn't realize all of that was out there on the World Wide Web...

I guess I better pick up the camera...lol

Might as well, man. If you're going to get yelled at, might as well get yelled at AND have the whole package.

• Like 1

First time I've ever bought a launch day console, and I wish I had waited, it's not everything I had hoped it would be (ps3 left some big shoes for it to fill, and I'm getting tired of waiting for games :( )

I'd almost recommend selling it, but for now, I guess it could be put into storage in your case, until some more titles come along (unless the ones available are to your liking)

Congratulations Showan, enjoy. You're a grown person who's gainfully employed, you deserve to have fun and enjoy this life. A PS4 is not what's going to break you and i'm sure your wife is enjoying it as well :)

You want me to die huh?   

You hurt my feeling.. 

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

:p

K22Qei0.jpg

Sho, just out of curiosity, are we to hold a funeral for you or was she ok with it?

:p

He was on Neowin today, so that means he survived and they have came to some sort of agreement, or he has managed to keep the PS4 hidden from his wife. :laugh: