PS4 Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition Off-screen Footage

I am bitter.  Should I always look for alternatives to games I used to love?  The Thief franchise is one of my favorite, shall I look for an alternative because I know that Garrett looks like a goth who can't jump anymore?  It just irks me when people go around messed up the formula.

I have to agree here. Guerilla destroyed killzone with that abomination they call shadowfall. I also wish they'd leave some things alone. Granted I haven't played d3 in a very long time, (too frustrated with the rubber banding effect it suffered from at the start, but as it doesn't need to be always online anymore I figured I'll give it another try)

Well, to pressume that a game series will never change is pretty naive at the same time, especially when it comes to D3 and it's development. Even if it had retained the features you miss, it would have introduced something you potentially don't like. Expecting D2 in HD was never their goal or it would have happened a lot sooner.

I can see you points of view and I even share them to some degree, but at the same time, if something better comes along you need to let the grudge go. All you're holding onto is the name now. PoE might be the series you fall in love with now and they screw it up with a sequel. Nothing is certain.

This * 100000000000000.

BTW I'd just wait until reaper of souls.  Diablo 3 is still a pile of crap.

I read that zavvi was taking preorders on that d3 plus reaper expansion, but now the link is dead, Kinda offputting, but I figured my family would still play d3 with me on the console, (and a few friends online who have it when the time comes)

Any film or game story can be generalized to the level you just said.  Diablo 1+2 had much deeper stories and created a high level or lore you see today.  This is what you guys like <snip> You could say you dont play a game for its story but I bet even when you were playing it was so obvious what was going to happen every chapter.  In Diablo 2 there was almost no indication if Tyreal was good or bad the whole game because of Baal.

Tech trees are so important to this kind of game its not even funny.  If I wanted to build a summoner or fire build, I could because of tech trees.  But now... sigh... Do I want option A or option B...

You know this game still has a wide variety of spells and spell runes, right? It just doesn't *lock* you into a specific build.

Plus, a "story" video that cuts out all the story exposition and cutscenes? What the hell's the point of that? D2 would last for much less time, given that there were only (a maximum of) six pretty basic quests in each act. Never mind all of the in-game books (and creature stories and events, etc, etc.) plus all of the out-of-game books and background that exists.

Sure there were obvious plot points

(Hakan being Belial), but the Leah reveal? Not that obvious.

Well, to pressume that a game series will never change is pretty naive at the same time, especially when it comes to D3 and it's development. Even if it had retained the features you miss, it would have introduced something you potentially don't like. Expecting D2 in HD was never their goal or it would have happened a lot sooner.

I can see you points of view and I even share them to some degree, but at the same time, if something better comes along you need to let the grudge go. All you're holding onto is the name now. PoE might be the series you fall in love with now and they screw it up with a sequel. Nothing is certain.

I disagree. I've seen a few ports that worked well, granted not all of them do, but some features that changed very little actually help as the next game ends up feeling familiar. Killzone 2 and 3 were great, for example, and rockstar proved you can add features without ruining a game with gta5, it felt (at least to me) reminiscent of gta san andreas. Change is something developers need to be careful with or like any retailer, they're going to alienate their regular customer base. It's a gamble, but if no one likes your product, no ones going to buy it.

Same thing happening here, d2 wasn't a bad game, by my standards, but I hated a lot about it when it became an online game as I used to get robbed a lot. People used to pretend to help, but just let me die so they could loot my corpse... I don't see how that was a good thing, and it almost put me off diablo for life.

If one was to escalate that, to a few million people feeling the same way, how is it naive thinking?

(I'm going by the fact that if I feel a certain way about something, I'm not the only one, also I know a few people online and in person who've sworn never to buy anything from blizzard again)

You know this game still has a wide variety of spells and spell runes, right? It just doesn't *lock* you into a specific build.

Plus, a "story" video that cuts out all the story exposition and cutscenes? What the hell's the point of that? D2 would last for much less time, given that there were only (a maximum of) six pretty basic quests in each act. Never mind all of the in-game books (and creature stories and events, etc, etc.) plus all of the out-of-game books and background that exists.

Sure there were obvious plot points (Hakan being Belial), but the Leah reveal? Not that obvious.

Yeah those spells and runes are still locked down a beaten path.  You dont craft those spells you unlock (or buy $$) them, really.

Leah was without a question obvious.  Even the characters in-game would gossip about her "special" powers, especially when Adria (the most obvious character in the game) came into play.

^^ HMM!!  I dont think Azmodan was talking to leah!

Spoiler tags please. The game isn't that old and many will be picking it up for the first time on PS4 :p

D'oh, sorry about that :)

Having played the PC and console versions, I have to say I prefer the console version - am hoping RoS won't be too far off for the 360 and PS3 versions (particular the mechanics updates).

Yeah those spells and runes are still locked down a beaten path.  You dont craft those spells you unlock (or buy $$) them, really.

Spells and runes unlock by level, exactly like D2 - they just don't have levels themselves. They do, however, have runes that can drastically change how they work. I don't know what you mean by "buying" them?

Also, that cutscene is ambiguous, and certainly does not make the plot point obvious.

I disagree. I've seen a few ports that worked well, granted not all of them do, but some features that changed very little actually help as the next game ends up feeling familiar. Killzone 2 and 3 were great, for example, and rockstar proved you can add features without ruining a game with gta5, it felt (at least to me) reminiscent of gta san andreas. Change is something developers need to be careful with or like any retailer, they're going to alienate their regular customer base. It's a gamble, but if no one likes your product, no ones going to buy it.

Same thing happening here, d2 wasn't a bad game, by my standards, but I hated a lot about it when it became an online game as I used to get robbed a lot. People used to pretend to help, but just let me die so they could loot my corpse... I don't see how that was a good thing, and it almost put me off diablo for life.

If one was to escalate that, to a few million people feeling the same way, how is it naive thinking?

(I'm going by the fact that if I feel a certain way about something, I'm not the only one, also I know a few people online and in person who've sworn never to buy anything from blizzard again)

We're not talking about ports here, this is about sequels and how they advance. Obviously the feel of a game has to be right or it doesn't feel connected or related to the games before it. I don't think that's an issue with D3 (or Killzone for that matter). Each to their own on that topic though.

As far as GTA V is concerned, you can thank RDR and the other games which came before it for beta testing the mechanics which they finally decided upon including. That is literally what they did and why GTA V took so long and it paid off. Iteration is paramount to these series. We're all in agreement here.

Diablo 3 kept a lot of what made the series what it is and it also changed a lot or "simplified" it, I think is the better word. People put that blame on the consoles because we now know they were planning to release it for 360/PS3 and now the next-gen. At the same time it wasn't hated or alienated; the game has sold millions of copies and continues to sell today. We don't know if it was always the plan and it's just coincidence that consoles were included. My comment about it being naive was not aimed at your experiences in game either. If you played with *******s, that's not Blizzard's fault. The same could have happened regardless of what design choices the game ended up with. It was always going to be a connected game too, so in all fairness, your experience would have likely been the same.

The only thing I would be naive of is that they would cut off features instead of forward progress on the newest title.  And BOY did they get me!

your experience would have likely been the same.

I fail to see how so, It wasn't a bad game, I enjoyed it a lot I played the hell out of it, and once I found some friends who shared my feelings, totally rocked, we used to go through it doing the sillyest things on it and still play through witbout ever dying. (Damn touchscreens) also I didn't specify ports as a bad thing, I was talking about not changing a formula that works so much that it becomes hated by it's loyal fanbase. Vanilla WoW vs cataclism proves my point (although wrath was my personal favourite)

I don't have a problem with changing things up to make something feel fresher, but change something too much and you run the risk of losing customers just like blizzard did. They lost far more customers than they gained with cata and mists.

D'oh, sorry about that :)

Having played the PC and console versions, I have to say I prefer the console version - am hoping RoS won't be too far off for the 360 and PS3 versions (particular the mechanics updates).

Spells and runes unlock by level, exactly like D2 - they just don't have levels themselves. They do, however, have runes that can drastically change how they work. I don't know what you mean by "buying" them?

Also, that cutscene is ambiguous, and certainly does not make the plot point obvious.

So in Diablo 3 its pretty basic.  You get a primary with a skill rune as the "secondary", fine.  You can buy "for now" the gems and such that make your attack even more devastating.

The cutscene is ambiguous but the whole build up in-game is enough that its pretty obvious who she is.

And spoiler tags are not necessary when it comes to that "story".

I fail to see how so, It wasn't a bad game, I enjoyed it a lot I played the hell out of it, and once I found some friends who shared my feelings, totally rocked, we used to go through it doing the sillyest things on it and still play through witbout ever dying. (Damn touchscreens) also I didn't specify ports as a bad thing, I was talking about not changing a formula that works so much that it becomes hated by it's loyal fanbase. Vanilla WoW vs cataclism proves my point (although wrath was my personal favourite)

I don't have a problem with changing things up to make something feel fresher, but change something too much and you run the risk of losing customers just like blizzard did. They lost far more customers than they gained with cata and mists.

D3 was always going to be an online game, just like every game Blizzard has made since B.net was introduced. My point is, if people you played online with tricked you into a situation where you were led to your death, no matter if skill trees, amazing plot etc etc were included, playing with griefers could and would have probably happened anyway.

As for the changing formula discussion, I agree with you guys and I feel the same about many of my favourite games too. In my case it was never an issue with D3 though and I thoroughly enjoy it. Instead of shunning it because it doesn't have everything I want, I can just play TL2 and PoE. None of them are the perfect ARPG and they all compensate each other nicely.

So in Diablo 3 its pretty basic.  You get a primary with a skill rune as the "secondary", fine.  You can buy "for now" the gems and such that make your attack even more devastating.

The cutscene is ambiguous but the whole build up in-game is enough that its pretty obvious who she is.

And spoiler tags are not necessary when it comes to that "story".

Yes it is, and regardless of your opinion I ask you to respect it. Members have been banned in the past for doing so, and while I wouldn't do that for spoiling the game, I will certainly be editing your posts. You don't have the right to spoil a story about any game for anyone.

I lost my interest in this game when Chinese hackers broke into my account, wiped out my characters and began farming. I was half way through a Nightmare run :(

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to this. I liked D1 but never got D2 after Baldur's Gate raised the RPG bar for me and D2 just seemed to shallow in comparison. Apparently my gf was a HUGE D2 fan though but the whole auction house and always online thing for D3 and the bad reviews as a result killed it for her as well. This seems to fix everything though with no online requirement, the removal of the auction house, expansion included, and co-op play so we're excited about picking it up and playing it together. (Plus there aren't that many coop games for the PS4 yet as we already have Knack and Skylanders)

• Like 2

I lost my interest in this game when Chinese hackers broke into my account, wiped out my characters and began farming. I was half way through a Nightmare run :(

Which is why I'm not interested in the pc version anymore, least on the console it's local to the machine. (Although hacking was inevitable since there was a trade option. Wife was hacked once (they got around her authenticator) ok blizzard restored her accoumt, but I remember seeing her face, virtual or not, she did put the hours in to perfect her characters.

It would help if you actually knew how the game worked.

Every class gets six different active skills, from a pool of around 22 (some mutually exclusive, but not many). Every one of those skills has five runes that can modify them significantly. You also get three passives that can also have a significant effect on the playstyles, from a pool of about 16. You cannot seriously call that 'basic'.

Half of D2's 'skills' were basically passives or slightly runish. Also, I still like D2.

Gems are barely related to the skills, and have relatively little effect on your DPS (unless you want to spend crazy amounts, and the AH doesn't even exists on console).

Which is why I'm not interested in the pc version anymore, least on the console it's local to the machine. (Although hacking was inevitable since there was a trade option. Wife was hacked once (they got around her authenticator) ok blizzard restored her accoumt, but I remember seeing her face, virtual or not, she did put the hours in to perfect her characters.

they restored it? All I got was "tough". And was stuck with their level 3 character with no equipment :(

they restored it? All I got was "tough". And was stuck with their level 3 character with no equipment :(

Vanilla gamer, and It took them about 3 days to do it, hacked in wrath. I'm not sure, but I think the rules were changed to help restore characters and accounts once they introduced battle.net

It would help if you actually knew how the game worked.

Every class gets six different active skills, from a pool of around 22 (some mutually exclusive, but not many). Every one of those skills has five runes that can modify them significantly. You also get three passives that can also have a significant effect on the playstyles, from a pool of about 16. You cannot seriously call that 'basic'.

Half of D2's 'skills' were basically passives or slightly runish. Also, I still like D2.

Gems are barely related to the skills, and have relatively little effect on your DPS (unless you want to spend crazy amounts, and the AH doesn't even exists on console).

I most certainly can call it basic.  Its like I said earlier, basically hover over each skill and go hmmm this one is the best.  Luckily I dont have to worry about adding points to said skill because its done for me basically.

D2 is better because if I want to achieve a certain skill path I have to think about what is the most efficient use of points to get to that level rather than screwing around with a pool.

Love this game and can't wait for the expansion.  Like others I'm really hoping the PS4 version lands about the same time as the PC expansion because ultimately I think I want the PS4 version.

For the genera, I think D3 was awesome.  I loved D1 and D2 as well.  Haters just gonna hate... what else is new, though?

Anyway, different people have different things that they want out of a game.  I had a blast playing D3 with a good buddy of mine on PC.  Playing the Xbox 360 version through with my two step-sons was also a good bonding experience.  I think that as a fun coop hack-and-slash game its one of the best.

I most certainly can call it basic.  Its like I said earlier, basically hover over each skill and go hmmm this one is the best.  Luckily I dont have to worry about adding points to said skill because its done for me basically.

D2 is better because if I want to achieve a certain skill path I have to think about what is the most efficient use of points to get to that level rather than screwing around with a pool.

Thus making it essentially impossible to experiment. So all you do for D2 is read other people's experiments and choose one - and rarely (if ever) get to experience any other combination that might work for you. And you end up with broken builds during levelling until you reach some magic point at which you get the right skill for your intended build. And it means you can't take proper advantage of skill-based legendaries.

The idea that you can hover any one D3 skill and say "hmm, this one is best" is laughable. The six action bar slots generally correspond to six different *types* of skill (though you don't have to follow that). I really fail to see how adding five points to a skill instead of one makes it "more interesting". Each point is a DPS upgrade (and then you run into scaling problems). At least with runes the 'point' you are adding to the skill actually makes some significant difference.

In a world with the internet, games without respec basically demand that you use a preformed build - any personal decision you make you will eventually find to have been "wrong", and then you can't do anything about it. How fun.

As far as the story, I think a lot of people are forgetting that they where a lot younger and more "gullible" when they played D1 and D2 and the stories that then seemed deep and intricate with completely surprising twists may not be so if you played it with more life experience. 

Personally I find it more unrealistic and unimmersive to the story that someone suddenly turns out to be something else than what they appear with no hints to this before. It's as if the old lady in The Stand instead of dying suddenly stood up and declared she was the devil. 

• 2 months later...

RELEASE DATE NOW!

Cannot wait for this, shelved my PS3 copy indefinitely when the PC loot 2.0 patch hit. My character is already lvl 60 so good to be imported into the PS4 copy.

Short summary

- Player gifts (when a leg drops there's a chance a gift for a friend on your friends list drops too, you can then mail it to them)
- Nemesis system (if you get killed by a mob, there's a chance a stronger version of the same mob will spawn in a friends game)
- "Apprentice mode": low level players receive a temporary stat boost when playing with high level players so they can catch up (I think this is new info?)
- higher bonuses for destruction/massacre/etc
- has all content/patches from the PC version

i wish we could put the console UI on the PC version or at least have an option for it. and then be able to play the game with a controller :P